Blue ray discs

Bronze Member
Username: Austin19

Enola, Pennsylvania America

Post Number: 71
I heard these things are takin over for dvds now. That sucks. Dvds just replaced vhs like 6 years ago.. damn marketing schemes. I hate'em.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3065
DVD has been around for more than 6 years. It was introduced in the U.S. in 1997. Don't expect Blu-Ray to push out standard DVDs anytime soon.

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 441
Or for Blu Ray to win the market even...

Silver Member
Username: Tapeman

Post Number: 352
Austin
Consumer Need for Blu-Ray to handle New HD formats, high resolution and long video duration time. This has always been constant consumer demand ever since everything went digital. New blu ray players should be able to handle all disc formats available today. I don't see how can this be a bad thing this is typical technology getting little more advanced.

David
You will be surprised how fast it will kick in
I give it less than 2 years perhaps Christmas of 2008. Don't forget in 2009 all broadcast providers must go HD (High Definition)

So everybody start saving some money!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3199
Not HD, just digital broadcasts, not the same thing. No way will HD DVD take over in 2 years. Most people are perfectly happy with standard DVDs, they aren't going to upgrade anytime soon. With upconverting players and TVs, there's even less reason to go to HD DVDs. People are also leary of getting burned in another VHS/Beta war with DVD manufacterers. In 5 years, possibly, 10 years, probably.

Silver Member

Post Number: 364
David
I'm fully aware HD Broadcast
They are all tight together
I'm still expressing my own opinion
You are right no one got a Crystal Ball
Once Big Studios introduces new movies on newer format it will start to take immediate marketing

Are we saying We can broadcast it in HD and record in SD or Broadcast in HD and only rent new movies in SD. They are all tight together

I personally work with Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro I can edit and encode in HD but awaiting for the right media for over 2 years
Not only consumer can use this they can hardly wait.

In year 2000 there was an international shortage of DVD boxes to keep up in demand for immediate transfer of VHS to DVD and now we are refering to 30 years ago for an old battle between JVC and Sony. Is this mean Sony can't win anymore?

It will be very interesting
But just like i-pod I say this is the one!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3204
I'm saying that DVD isn't going anywhere in 2 years.

Silver Member

Post Number: 365
I agree DVD media not going anywhere for at least 10 years
But SD DVD players will be like the old 4.5" floppy drive within less than 2-3 years

Bronze Member
Username: Austin19

Enola, Pennsylvania America

Post Number: 90
i would actually look forward to all broadcast stations going to HD. Would give me an excuse to get a new t.v. lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 3206
I still disagree on players. VCRs can still be bought 10 years after DVDs were introduced, and DVD was the fastest selling new technology in history. If the fastest selling technology ever hasn't made VCRs unavailable in 10 years, HD DVD surely isn't going to push out DVD players in 2-3 years. I had a first generation DVD player, it was 2 years after I got it before I could even rent movies to play in it.

Username: Leonski

Post Number: 2
Just opin.
The format war is going to last a while. It is even possible for computers and A/V to NOT adopt the same standard.
For me:
1. Not going to junk out 3grand worth of DVDs.
2. Buy good upsampling player. OPPO?
3. wait for format war to end
4. Possible to buy dual format player?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3207
Exactly, most people are going to wait and see who wins first before they get burned in the whole VHS/Beta thing again, which went on for years. Upconverted DVDs look pretty killer, no need for HD DVDs as far as I'm concerned.

Silver Member

Post Number: 378
Put your Blu-Ray Glasses on
It's a MEDIA WORLD WAR II my fellow readers
Do You want to know what is going on:
keep this a secrete (confidential inside information)

-Q What format makes more sense commercially and economically?
-A HD format
-Q Who is behind HD
-A Warner Brothers and Toshiba plus few other Comps.
-Q Who is behind blu-ray
- Sony and Philips plus few other Comps

** FAQ Did know Sony & Philips own current CD & SD DVD technology?
** FAQ Did you know for every single DVD sold $0.04 has been paid or to be paid to each of Sony and Philips for a total of $0.08 Royalty
** FAQ Did you know that WB, Toshiba, Hitachi, Sony, Philips were X-partners during agreement to standardizing MPEG-2 on SD DVD Ultimate format and avoiding possible conflict in Entertainment Region in 1996?
** FAQ Sony and Philips only got paid others got ZIPO
** FAQ Did you know Today Sony owns more Entertainment Studios than any other Studios combined while Philips owns both current CD and DVD Technology Today both are present allies together.
** FAQ We all know who owns biggest play stations
** FAQ WB and Toshiba are not small Army either But they are clearly not the Super power, they have no choice but to stand and fight because they still looking for part of the profit share that they failed to collect from DVD media to present day.

&&& So unless someone has a secrete Nuclear Weapon to drop to end the War. I personally will expect the super power to win. Unless the underdog got some endless Artilleries to keep firing. Time is just winding down a clear winner must be declared by 2008.

I say they both have to co-exist until a white flag is raised

-Q What Advice do I give everyone?
-A Thank god they both must be MPEG-4 so just get a Large hard drive DVR and start recording on your personal DVR or TIVO. This is going to be short and quick. If I were to bet I'll favor the Super power BLU-RAY it will be fully available this year. I also got highly classified information I can't post here so unless HD can stand-up and fight and explore secrete weapons it will be quick.

You may remove your blu-ray glasses now
I hope this can help!
King

Post Number: 4
King, I don't disagree with any of your facts.
But I don't see the format thing being over by a long shot.
There is just Too Much money riding on this. I have
seen a list of companies for each format and there
are some pretty heavy hitters on each side. This is going to be a 'no prisoners' party.
Even Leo LaPorte thinks there is a chance of a split decision. Computing takes one format and home theater/ vidio takes the other. Who Knows?
My solution, if I had the bucks would be some kind of dual format player. But, lacking that, I think a decent Upsampling player will bridge me over without dumping my current DVDs.
Sorry, but I am 'wait and see'.......thanks......

Gold Member

Post Number: 3213
I'll let you be the one King to announce to people that the DVD collections they spent hundreds or thousands on cannot be played anymore because they can't buy a player. Wake up, it's not going to happen in the near future. It'll be a couple to a few years before people can even rent HD discs. Like I said, it took 2 years before I could rent DVDs, and there's no way HD DVD is going to sell like DVD did. The average person is perfectly happy with SD DVDs and isn't going to buy an HD DVD player until they have to.

Post Number: 5
Yep, David, I am not heavily in the loop, but of my friends who collect DVDs, not a single one is on the flock to HD....either format. I haven't seen the numbers, but the reception sounds 'cool' at best.
Are both HD formats backwards compatible....all the way back to CD, not to mention SACD / AudioDVD and others?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3214
I haven't seen anything about SACD or DVD Audio, I'm guessing they don't support them. Some specs say they play CDs and some say they don't. Look at reviews of people who own both and almost all of them say HD-DVD is superior in PQ quality to Blu-Ray. That doesn't mean HD-DVD will win, Beta was superior to VHS, it didn't help it. Since neither is compatible with the other, either both formats have to stay around, or whoever bets on the wrong format is going to get burned. It just seems to be the way it is these days that everything has to have a format war, VHS/Beta, DVD/Divx, DVD-R/DVD+R, 1080i/720p. People are leery of investing in new technology because of it.

Bronze Member
Username: Chico

Post Number: 82
david massey

i have a ps3 so i'm on the blu-ray camp, too me you sound like you don't like sony so your more w/ hd-dvd. just a observation.any way blu-ray disc have higher picture quality(1080p) while hd-dvd are 1080i/720p and you seem to refer hd dvd as the next format when it is a end product like blu-ray disc. back to picture quality, blu-ray had the advantage in the beginning(1080p) but since january at c.e.s(consumer electronic show) in vegas, toshiba(backer of hd-dvd) has introduced there 2nd generation player that is fully 1080p. for all the people that bought there 1st generation players, they are crap out of luck(it only plays at 720p/1080i). all backers of hd-dvd knew about this but they wanted to grab market share by being out first w/ their product and in so doing screwed the consumers(that's if you bought 1st gen. players).
my ps3 is backward compatible(all cd, dvd and sacd audio). as a computer guy i'm rooting for blu-ray because of the greater storage capacity(25,50 and in the future 100 to 200 gig).i do agree w/ you that people are leery and they should be because usually new tech. is very expensive.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3215
I'm not buying either. I'm in the upconverted DVDs look fine camp. I'm just saying look at Amazon, Cnet, Epinions, almost everyone who owns both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD both say HD-DVD has better PQ Quality. It can definitely be said I'm not a Sony fan. I've been working on electronics too long to be a fan of Sony. Most of what they make performs mediocre at best and is unreliable, especially for the ridiculous prices they charge. Parts prices are some of the highest in the business, not that the parts are any better than other companies, just higher priced.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3216
As far as the people who bought the first generation HD-DVD and got 1080i, people who buy new technology should be used to it. I bought a first generation DVD recorder for $1000, it only records RAM discs, it's now sitting downstairs with the rest of the stuff I don't use. Did it stop me from buying more, no, I own 6 DVD recorders. I've been using DVD recorders since 2001 and have a few thousand discs, which look amazing when upconverted to 1080i, I'm not going to throw away 6 years of recordings and start over.

Silver Member

Post Number: 402
I just wanted to set this straight
- I never said consumer will have to get red of their old collection of DVDs. But they'll need a new HD DVD Player that's for sure.
- I fully agree with chico that whichever format wins must be compatible will older CD/DVD format. Toshiba's big mistake with 720p/1080i

- DON'T FORGET the future of HD may switch to 1440p as NTSC become 1440x1080 which will give Sony an edge to make more sense. Sadly consumer may not be that smart to dream about NTSC becoming 1880x1440 as 1880p broadcast one day

- I also fully agree with David Sony just simply love to make things more difficult and complicate life further. Let's not forget 8-mm on both hi-8 and digital-8 with a clear defeat from mini DV. They finally scored a major home run with DVCam in pro Video and killed panasonic over its DVCPro. This is why still got a gut feeling about Sony

- To confuse more people let me add another FAQ that they both blue ray technology (i.e. not a red beam) as well as both HD formats. One called blu-ray other called HD.
- Microsoft is backing HD while WB don't care anymore which one wins and as long as there is a standard

- In todays manufacturing technology very easy to upgrade mastering equipment to HD while blu ray is totally different concept. But to account for future I have to support Sony and Philips after all they are the super power they do know what they are doing.

- If HD does win for any strange reason don't count Sony/Philips totally out. They will continue to co-exist and drag consumer to great casualty. I do think they know their way to victory. Any delay of time will favor blu-ray based on all of that I give them 4:1 edge

I suggest they both to be brought for an open debate and learn facts form both sides first hand and we get to vote for a new leader.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3217
I don't doubt it's going to happen, I just don't agree with the 2-3 year time frame. VHS has been a dying format for over a decade, since TiVo and DVD were introduced, but VCRs can still be bought. Manufacterers are still desigining new DVD recorders, in fact next generation DVD recorders are going to have ATSC tuners and will record downconverted HD signals. Standalone recorders that will record HD signals onto a disc on the other hand will probably never be made, they don't want people recording HD material onto a disc.

Silver Member

Post Number: 403
They still make turn tables and 12" vinyl LPs to this day and this is over 100 year since Tom Edison invented it. I'm not saying guaranteed 2-3 years there is still a battle going on, there are many many ideas. VHS/Beta old battle is nothing comparing to DVC-pro and DVCam. Today's new HD Cam-Corders clearly dominated by Sony using mini-HD tapes

Sony can still shoot themselves in the foot and loose one battle. If they win you'll see the immediate transition as early as 2008. Their problem is trying to include too much. I wish I have a crystal ball to calculate how many years. It might take longer I find it hard to believe if takes 5 years.

DVD manufacturers are ready today. You just say the word and all the new movies will be available in 30 days. This is another FAQ some neutral DVD replicators making both formats as we speak today. 2007 Christmas you'll see some results

This ain't the 1900's technology
Welcome to 21st Century. I promise you it will be an entertaining one.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3221
Anyone who buys an HD DVD player within the next year is going to get a machine that is inferior in PQ and performance to the ones that will be available in 4 years, they'll also pay a lot more for that inferior machine. Trust me on that one. I have a first generation DVD player and DVD recorder. They cost a fortune compared to what they sell for now and PQ, performance and features are poor compared to today's models. The smart people will wait for a few years.

Post Number: 6
BlueRay? HD DVD? They are not completely incompatable, having at least the same laser in common. Problem is different optics and clear layer thickness......
The solution MAY be a dual format player? While possible, it may (will) be REAL expensive. If computers go one way and home theater another, we are all screwed.
While I agree that the smart people will wait to adopt, I disagree about the reason. PQ is pretty good right now...stunning in some cases, but the real reason to wait is still 'who's gonna win the format war?'.
The real screw will come when they announce that some new glitch makes backwards compatible a non-starter. We all have a bundle in media. I have CDs going back to when there were were only 1000 titles available....and I still have the amazingly good top loader CD player by Philips/Magnavox. (16bit / 4xOS)
But I am simply not going to jump on HD in either flavor until the dust settles.
Stay tuned and you'll see stuff that will make the old 8-track / cassette combo player look like sheer genius.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3223
DVD looked pretty amazing when it was introduced too, especially for people used to VHS. Still that first generation player doesn't look like they do now, and it was a Panasonic, all the rave in it's day. Trust me, all new technology has kinks that take a few years to work out. Future players will be far better than first or second gens are. They will have far more features for a lot less money. The processors will be much faster.

Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 6
My money is on BluRay. But I have been wrong before...from time to time. David, please send me an email on free DVD copying software when you get a chance. I remember you follow those developments and your suggestions have been outstanding. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 90
Wow Lots of misinformation here in this thread. The PS3 is having problems becuase there arent very many games written for the PS3 and it isnt 100% backward compatible. Sony used an asymmetric CPU so new software is three times as hard to write. Nintendo and XBOX is too much for the PS3. AS we all know, Sony just announced losses financially on PS3.

AS a Blu Ray player, its good for BR DVDs, but has no upscaling capabilities, making it inferior for standard DVDs on a true Hi Def Display. Using a game controller, Blue Tooth based in fact, makes no sense for Home Theater, although you can buy a normal remote for 25 bucks. The production costs for BR DVDs are very high. The players are too expensive.

Toshiba HD-DVD players, 2 of three of which are 1080P, offer upscaling to 1080i or 1080P so everyones standard DVDs are well handled. The Tosh HD-A2 can be had for about 350 with 200 off Tosh Plasmas for same time purchase with player.

HD-DVD has the hardware at a reasonable price.
Blu-Ray has more content potential but the hardware is lacking and is way overpriced, making it non-competitive.

So will SOny make a reasonably priced Blu Ray Player? Will one more Blu Ray Studio go neutral and release both HD-DVD and Blu Ray titles?

Answer: Both will happen, and production costs/overhead will bear heavily on this. Winner--HD-DVD. Time to conclusion of battle? 2-3 years.

Sirius wants to sell to XM in case you havent heard. Difference? The one with the higher overhead to deliver a product loses.

Word.

Silver Member

Post Number: 481
Marc
I see you ain't in the tech industries.
It is not about making HD DVD affordable at present time

There are severe mastering issues with HD DVD media, SONY and Phillips fully aware of it and that's why they doing totally new concept of blu ray. This will require new method of mastering and injection molding that no one supporting Sony and Phillips

What I say will happen they'll let Toshiba go forward to let the new SONY Blu-ray be compatible to both. This will give both Phillips and Sony one more year to put them out of commission but it is true high risk big gamble by the Super power.

So if Toshiba finds a way to overcome production mastering solution they might improve chances to win a small battle. Still SONY will crush them by developing dual format like they have done in their recent past.

I suggest you google and yahoo following formats:
mini DV: Consumer by every tech in Industry
DVC Pro: by Panasonic
HD mDV: by Sony
Digi Beta: by Sony
DVCam: by Sony
XDVCam: by Sony (blu-ray) "new"

Marc you got a lot to read before you tell me that I misinform.

Bronze Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 91
Sorry King. Interesting that you took it as a comment about you. No need for the verbage by the way.

You did however say that HD-DVD players dont output 1080P, which is false and wasnt true on the day you posted it. As you know, there are three Tosh HD-DVD players at three price points, starting at about 369 right now for an incredible video result as well as upscaling, something that the PS3 cannot due. A huge flaw.

AS it stands, Blu Ray doesnt have a reasonable player to offer; even the most ardent Blu Ray supporters agree. I have no beef and own neither, but have viewed every hi def player available, including the dual format LG.

Both formats look great. The human eye really is reaching its limits at 1080i and 1080P as far as resolution. Differences in PQ have much more to do with studios mastering techniques than the format. Despite the verbage from the overly-aggressive Blu Ray Hype Camp, similar to your own posts, there isnt any practical advantage for a Home Theater movie buff with either format as far as PQ, despite one of the folks from Disney who actually authors films in Blu Ray trying to convince me at CES.

To be direct, HD-DVD have delivered the goods at this point, and Blu Ray , for now, is coming up wanting in the hardware side. Its not even close. either in price or technology.

WE can go back and forth no problem. The public deserves the truth. Let her rip bubba.

Silver Member

Post Number: 485
Marc
If you had a comment about something I said you could of said so.
But when start bashing with:
"Wow Lots of misinformation here in this thread"
and I don't see you correcting my misinformation

I do think you mixing up threads and who said what. There are a lot of consumers that can tell difference between 1080p and 1080i I can see you are not one of them indeed you got that wrong. Also there is beyond 1080p, 1440p, 1880p. I do encourage you to read.

Bronze Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 92
OK- In your January 18th post you mention something about "Toshiba's big mistake 720P/1080i". I mean, there are TWO Toshiba 1080P players. Granted, one won't release until May, but it does exist and function. The other is available now. Both upscale standard DVDs too. The 1080i player is awesome as well. Have you actually seen HD-DVDs r even standard DVDs using it? For 369 dollars, it makes a lot of expensive standard DVD players seem silly at this point.

What were you referring to? Your use of the English language, at least in written form, is confusing. What is your native language out of curiosity?

You talk about Sony crushing " Them" with a dual disc format. Actually all Toshiba has to do is print HD-DVDs on one side and standard DVDs on the other and its all over basically. The Blu-Ray side has a much greater challenge in this regard, as complete retooling and factories would be necessary. As you know, Toshibas HD-DVD technology as far as manufacturing overlaps with the standard DVDs of today.

My main point however is, as it stands, Blu-Ray doesnt offer a reasonably priced complete DVD player, while the HD- DVD side does.

Silver Member

Post Number: 488
Chico on Jan 17th started the discussion about Toshiba

What I was refering to which ever wins must be compatible cd/DVD media. Toshiba's problem maybe a media problem where as he thought it was a player.

As far as Sony's crush is not even out there they got history of making players that do both like I mentioned with DVCams. I wasn't refering that Sony will do both media discs.

I'm not from Japan if that is what you are after

Bronze Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 93
I can see you won't answer the question about your 720P/1080i Toshiba big mistake quote. Toshiba makes hardware. HD-DVDs are 1080P. Tosh Players ( 2 of 3 ) can output a native 1080P signal.

My interest in your native language is purely cultural, I travel and folks from different cultures have different ways of communicating. But if you are not comfortable answering I have no issue.

AS far as the origianl post of this thread. Blu Ray isnt taking over anything, and Sony is making a Jack Arss of itself over this thusfar, a very expensive one at that.

I do like their latest Front projector though- The Pearl--its truely ecxellent.

Silver Member

Post Number: 489
TOSHIBA HD-XA1 HD-DVD Player Video Upconversion HDXA1 (for about $400 USD)

High-definition DVD playback via HDMI interface at 720p/1080i resolution
Standard DVD up-conversion to 720p or 1080i through HDMI interface

As far as I can read manufacturing specs it is not capable to play back 1080p. My personal opinion is a mistake unless you convince me otherwise. David (senior member at this forum) and I agreed and I do advice you to do some more reading. However if you got questions I will be glad to answer it.

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD PLAYER
Is however HD Content Output via HDMI (720p/1080i/1080p) for about ($700 USD)
Both available today
The one you are talking about (May release) is not out there I have no idea and I don't care I'm not big fan of Toshiba's work. They do make great players but I give Sony 4:1 edge like I said earlier.

There is one request however not to rush to judgment about misinforming. When I do post something I try extremely hard to make sure it is as accurate as possible. I do make spelling mistakes I hope you don't grade me quickly as well

i stands for interlaced (enhanced)
I hope this gives you answers you are looking for
King is my first name I'm from C. Africa we do speak English.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3288
Sony never could make a DVD player worth a crap, performance or reliability wise. I surely wouldn't trust a $1000 Blu-Ray player based on their past DVD performance. I use Toshiba DVD recorders, they are hands down the best PQ of any recorder, I've tried more than a few.

Bronze Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 94
Well Mr. King, your posts are a piece of work. I find your designation of a poster as a senior member to be amusing-- personally I have been posting around here for many years, but never felt inclined to identify myself as senior to anyone. How silly. Everyone has something to contribute no matter how many posts a given ID might have. Keep that in mind.

The Toshiba 1080i model is the HD-A2. The 1080P models are the HD-A20 ( available in May as I said) and the Hd-XA2 ( available now). They are all awesome, and, unlike some of their blu ray brethren- they actually turn on and work. I have played with all three myself, as well as the LG dual format player, the Sony PS3, the SAmsung, Pioneer, and Panasonic Blu Ray machines as well. The HD-XA1, Sound and Visions Consumer electronics product of the year for 2006, is a first generation player and is no longer being made.

The Toshiba HD-XA2 is the player to get IMHO. Its video processing capabilities are at the top of whats currently available, and it upscales standard DVDs quite well. It uses two Intel Xeon processors as well as an advanced video processing chip from Realto or SIlicon Optix I believe. Both top notch. Like I said, all of sudden, some of the non Hi Def expensive players are not looking very desitable to me. The Tosh Hd-A2 is also excellent for 369 street, and it will upscale standard DVDs to 1080i as well. A good deal!

Silver Member

Post Number: 490
Marc
You still not reading carefully
I never said I'm a senior member
(gold member like David Massey is a senior member)

- I'm glad you got your hands on all 3 (I didn't)
- I'm not a big founder of Toshiba, I did say they make great players and David Massey certainly likes them.
- I was simply answering Chico's disappointment about Toshiba's big mistake to release the early model 720p/1080i that I was accused misinforming people about it and I still think it won't play 1080p

- My posts and my focus is to discuss the difference between blu-ray and HD. I did express my opinions based on tech achievements.
- No one can predict the future but I certainly presented facts that many may not have access to. This is why I only predict Sony for this you are entitled to agree or disagree

Bronze Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 95
Right. Never was referring to you. What I am saying is that a designation of a senior member is ridiculous. Folks just post and share. I've been through a number of logins due to technical reasons, but I wouldnt fault anyone for having one post only, especially if I could learn something from it.

In any case, there aren't any material differences between Blu Ray and HD-DVD from an HT perspective. And yes, I have been through more than one very complete demo of all of those wonderful things that Blu-Ray is supposed to do.

1080P is 1080P, and visible variations are more due to the studios production and mastering than any media disk differences.

I like the idea of the Tosh HD-A2 because it is reasonably priced and will upscale standard DVDs quite nicely. I have seen this myself via the 1920 x 1080 Sony Pearl FP that I had mentioned earlier. Unless a movie has a lot of motion in it, the diference between 1080i and 1080P may not be discernible on many display technologies.

Bronze Member
Username: Chico

Post Number: 83
thank you gentlemen for the very informative debate. i always learn something from here.

i came accross a article on cnet and it was kind of entertaining http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6690707-1.html?tag=bubbl_1. i do not fully agree w/ what the editor wrote but it was some what informing but then again it is just his opinion. one thing that got my attention was that he mentioned sales numbers on either format. i think number of sales give a slight indicator of where the trend is going. please give any review, open to all.

Silver Member

Post Number: 497
Still to early to jump to conclusions
Both sides got their problems

I personally belive Sony got a plan to win after they lose one battle where as Toshiba's their only plan is to win no B plan

It is not just about play stations that call the shots. Toshiba must find a better way to master blu laser in making HD media and Sony better get their act stright with their diode proplems.

I do see a solution to Sony's players but what the hick Toshiba going to do about their mastering issues.

You'll understand me in September 2007

Bronze Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 98
Well we certainly don't understand you now. Your comments about mastering techniques are unfounded.

I am wondering if you have ever even seen an HD-DVD video disc being played. Have you Mr. King? Try King Kong. Perhaps you will like the name of that film. Its awesome in HD-DVD. And Blu Ray looks great as well.

Blu Ray technology and Media is too expensive right now and the different manufacturers of players are basically crippling each other. I do feel PS3 has missed badly. It functions much better as a Hi Def player than a game station, but it doesnt upscale and doesnt come with a normal remote. The set up is a techie dream but most folks arent gonna like it. try it out for your self.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3289
The fact is that both are a niche market and won't take over standard DVDs for years to come, if they ever do. I stated before and will again, the everyday Joe is perfectly happy with standard DVDs and won't be buying either. I see them as more of a laserdisc thing than the accepted DVD format.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I was at a 'hi-end' store the other day, just gawking, you understand. When I mentioned the Blue-Ray vs HD format war, the sales guy smiled and said 'both are going to lose'. When I asked why, he floated the idea that gigantic bandwidth would make them unnecessary. Home Media Server computers and downloads upon demand would pretty much take care of it. In that case, I go with Blue-Ray since the computer folks with jump on the huge capacity. It'l still take a few years, though! ...................thanks...........

Bronze Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 99
I'll personally be repurchasing everything for HT in 2008. The HDMI 1.3 chipsets really need to be out and about in receivers before I'll make a move. Also am waiting on an industrial 1920 x 1080 58 inch screen minimum plasma.

Silver Member

Post Number: 498
Ok Mr. Comedian you can just call me by my first name King

I'm sorry I didn't post my resume but I do supervise an undisclosed SD, HD Media company you can say we do thousands of down scaling to 1080 formats.

I'm still new to that upscale stuff can you please explain to me the 1920x1080 in a 16:9 HD ratio.

I like to rent that King Kong movie the only problem I got I don't have a Toshiba player. I may have to await for the winner of that battle.

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 102
??? Not a clue.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5804
Marc, gimme the goods.
I want a new DVDP.
My panel may or may not upscale, Im not sure. Its a TV.
It upscales my VCR's sound, to be sure, I ran the VCR through the tv to my DAC(in bypass) and it works well.

I want a player that does sound very well.
Stereo sound, like Hell Freezes Over.
I have a good stereo, want a player that does it well.
TV takes HDMI for video.

Thanks.

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 105
Hi Nuck. Hows it goin? What type of display/TV do you have, and what is its native resolution? What are you going to use the player for? Concert DVDs/Standard DVDs/CDs/Hi Def DVDs?

And whats your sound system? ( You'll have to remind me-- I cant remember)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us