Username: Jerry711

Throop, Pa. U.s.

Post Number: 30
or anyone know?

Gold Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 4488
Is this why U ask?

"Now opensource is up (giving full credit to Viewsat) and we will see someone porting the solution from linux to windows, and FTA units will magically start coming back up."

Linux is a free Unix-type operating system for computers originally created by Linus Torvalds with the assistance of developers around the world.

Bronze Member

Throop, Pa. U.s.

Post Number: 31
thank you,yes, do you think it is bs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4490
Not at all!...Linux is used often now, especially with business etc..Windows we all use now at home, few use linux at home..

Bronze Member
Username: Gord_42

Sudbury , Ontario CANADA

Post Number: 12
it means you can whatch tv on your computer

Bronze Member
Username: Gord_42

Sudbury , Ontario CANADA

Post Number: 13
and it works!!!!!!

Bronze Member

Throop, Pa. U.s.

Post Number: 32
i got a couple fta recievers viewsat,dreambox,fortecoolsat,one running wide open.read at another site that most of FTAs will have a bin this week due to linux and unencrypted viewsat bin .SO WHAT I AM ASKING IS DO U THINK THIS IS TRUE?? THANKS, SORRY TO BOther u again.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4497
YES..yesterday I said NO, not 1 week, will be longer...today, after more reading etc, 1 week seems to be the consensus everywhere....the Viewsat fix is public and the open source revealed for all others to learn from, copy and disasemble..and assemble their own bins now...Viewsat basically shared their secrets and work for all to use..they could have recoded their bins much more difficult to hide their secrets..

Bronze Member

Throop, Pa. U.s.

Post Number: 33
i think they where in a hurry to release first.Well gotta go make dinner,thanks 4 info very helpful.

Silver Member
Username: Bhund

Post Number: 103
so lk your saying the viewsat bin can easily be converted to a pansat or any other fta reciever?

Silver Member
Username: Vinidomine

Post Number: 199
Linux is an OS. Whats the next question... whats an OS? LOL

Silver Member
Username: Donnie1973

Tennessee

Post Number: 412
operating system...lol. many telephone systems use linux. Yes, the bin can be used easily by others now. from what ive read. everything is there for them now.. just gotta go get it and convert to their box. I think thats right anyway. what ive gotten out of it all

Bronze Member
Username: Big_fat_j

POTTSVILLE, STONEYTOWN GREEN-LAND

Post Number: 52
Gave myself a headache reading about linux. http://www.linux.org/info/index.html

Bronze Member
Username: Lebrimal

Post Number: 81
Linux is the best, is the Bill Gate nightmare.IT the way we should go . OPEN SOURCE

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
Read a lot of how its the answer to the MS monopoly.
Only problem is most ppl are to lazy to even attempt to switch or have the slighest idea of how to install windows even.

Gonna get out my old 10 gig hard drive and give it shot.Just read how DVB is up on systems running linux.Gonna need a lot of and smokes aspirn.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
Smokes and aspirin.What i ment to say .No i dont smoke aspirin.

Bronze Member
Username: 99centrobot

Chicago, Illinois

Post Number: 54
I used SuSE Linux for a while a few years ago, i liked it but the learning curve was a tough hurdle to jump especially for a newbie. But with practice and patience it got easier to use and became much more fun to use than Windows. I dropped it during the XP rush but may go back to it again on it's own computer,just to see how much it has advanced. One advantage over the Windows platform is that the basic Linux package includes many more added goodies than Microsoft would ever include in their os. Don't get me wrong I still use Windows, and am looking forward to Vista but for a fun alternative..Linux is worth a try. And the best part is..you can download it for free! Gotta love that!
SuSE~~~ http://www.novell.com/linux/

Bronze Member
Username: S_dot

Philadelphia, PA United States

Post Number: 35
yea the best way to learn linux for a newbie is to run it on your windows machine in a virtual enviorment. the best way to do this(atleast for me) is to use parallels (found at parallels.com). its $50 for a windows version but im pretty sure you can try it free for a month. like the user above me stated you can download linux for free, im most familiar with xandros linux, found at xandros.com.

Silver Member
Username: Hardrockstriker

Post Number: 577
Linux. MacOS. Windoze. They're just an opsys. A program still has to run in the specific OS, and that program has to emulate a ROM102 card and DN receiver code.

I'm a Linux guy myself (Ubuntu) but I don't think it'll make a difference under which OS you run your emulator.

Bronze Member
Username: Ds_edm

Post Number: 14
why asking about linux here

Bronze Member
Username: Ds_edm

Post Number: 15
is Vs bin open source

Silver Member
Username: Hardrockstriker

Post Number: 579
No, VS bin is reverse engineered (or maybe VS felt philanthropic and posted the code - I don't know?).

Open source is software/technology that has the pre-compiled programming code (language) posted for everyone to analyze, contribute, find flaws, etc...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us