Rear Projection vs. Flat Panel

Username: Watts

Toronto, Ont Canada

Post Number: 1
I have been dreaming of buying a great new TV since 2003, and now that I have the means and opportunity to buy one I have come across a dilemma.

You see I wanted the 50" Samsung DLP but I have gone to a few stores and they all are discontinuing the model (only floor models left which I dont want). In fact it is pretty apparent that all the stores are pushing flat panel TV's and are phasing out rear projections. I had done a lot of research on DLP's and rear LCD's but now I don't know if I should stick with that technology or if should go with a plasma (large LCD's are too pricey). A sales rep made a good point that over the life of a RP TV the bulb will need to be replaced 2 or 3 times which is adding another $1000 to the cost. He also said that this may well be that last year that a lot of manufacturers will come out with new models of RP (is that true?). I don't like the fact that the TV that I buy might be heading the way of the dinosaur.

Am I better off spending a couple hundred dollars more and going with a 42" HD plasma or am I safe sticking with RP?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us