Large Flat Panel Opinion

Username: Rickoloughlin

Post Number: 1
Over the past two years I've been on and off the fence to purchase a new HD TV. The nature of the room mandates a flat panel over DLP and the room size would like a 50 inch.

I've held off buying for two reasons; one, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 4x3 52" TV we have and two, the prices continued to drop at the 50 inch segment.

To point number 1, my wife is good with a new flat panel because we're getting new furniture. (Okay, works for me.) Point 2 is where I am a mess.

I have just noticed a new 52 inch LCD by Samsung at a price that seems to float between 4 to 5k. I'll assume that this product in a very short time, meaning 3-8 wks will be at the same price a Panasonic 50 inch was just this time last year, aprox $3900.

I weigh this new product entry against the now Panasonice price at 2800 and I ask myself, do I purchase the plasma at a price one thousand less than the LCD?

Is the LCD at 52 inchs more prone to losing pixles?

Is LCD a better display technology over plasma? I have heard opinions that LCD provides more realistic colors where as plasma provides a better clarity. Huh?

Plasma reflects room light which would be a problem for us. True? (There's too much acitivity to have a room darkened to a real Home Theater environment so this is a factor.)

LCD runs cooler. Substantially?

LCD doesn't have burn in. This means very little to me but I guess it should be included.

For some reason I gravitate towards plasma but I get lots of input towards these new larger LCD screens being the way to go.

I would appriciate your thoughts.

Best regards. R.O.

Silver Member
Username: Rkanak

Post Number: 102
even i am confused Plasma or LCD, it just holds me cus the way prices are dropping... Well for you guys those TV's are 30%-40% cheaper than for us here in Canada

Username: Rickoloughlin

Post Number: 3
As I have no technical knowledge here I offer this from a logical perspective. (With the assumption that we don't have money to throw around on every next generation device. The set I purchase needs to last a solid 10-13 years worth of service which maps nicely to the half-life numbers the manufacturers publish.)

So this is where I think I'm going to land on the subject. Very soon the new large screen LCD will be roughly at the same price point that the plasmas are at now. The current attractively priced plasmas run at 720p. The new LCDs are running at 1080p. It's not that the 720 looks bad, its more that 1080p will look just that much better.

Given that 720 spread across a smaller screen size will look great, I plan on buying a very affordable 37-40 inch LCD at 720p for the living room. I have every intention to retire it to the bedroom when the 50-52 inch 1080p LCDs prices are 2900 - 3500, where the plasmas are now.

I get my HDTV now and get to enjoy the clarity. Soon the set moves to the bedroom and is replaced by a 1080p 52 inch that will last many years.

If you can only afford one set. I would suggest waiting until 1080p HDTV sets are in the 2800 - 3500 area. Then buy what ever you choose, plasma or LCD.

I'm leaning more towards the LCDs becuase they run cooler and are more durable.

Your mileage may vary. I also would like the opinion of the technical people here to consider this position.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us