Are COBY DVD Recorders junk?

Username: Peabody67gto

Post Number: 8
Hello,
I bought a Coby DVDR-1100 back in July. The last few days it had problems reading DVD's and not the unit does not even turn on and is dead. Called Coby and I sent it to them for warranty repair. It only lasted 65 days and then failed. I did play at least 60 DVD's and recorded about 40. This is my 1st DVD recorder but I would think they would last longer then 65 days. I did notice that after I played a DVD when I took it out it was very very HOT. Maybe I just got a lemon. Any thoughts?
THANKS

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3050
If it's one of those cheapie recorders without a cooling fan, don't expect any of those to last very long. DVD recorders run hot and need a cooling fan. If it doesn't have a fan, let it cool throughly after each disc and hope for the best. It shouldn't be on top of anything that gives off heat, nothing should be on top of it either.

Username: Peabody67gto

Post Number: 9
Hey David,
I took the unit apart and it does not have a fan. It does have room for me to put a small one inside. Would that help any and where would be a good place to put the fan. Close to the power supply, next to the transport, in the back of the unit? It is going to take them 4 weeks to fix it. I got a good deal because it was only $99 and the list price was $199 but if it does not last then the deal does not really matter.
THANKS

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3051
The fans are always in the back. Near the power supply is good, if possible between the power supply and the burner is even better. It'll need somewhere it can intake air, vents if it doesn't have any.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us