I need help with hdtv reception

Username: Brl1986

Post Number: 1
Hi, I recently purchased a Sony kd-30xs955 hdtv. The picture is amazing and I love it. When I first got it, it asked me to search for digital channels. It wound up finding quite a few. I'm not sure how or why because I do not even have any subscriptions to any digital channels. In addition, two more things confused me. One, the digital channels had really crazy numbers, such as channel 109.117. The other thing was that these digital channels did not really look any better than the NTSC versions of the same channel. I later decided to clear off these digital channels for the reasons mentioned above. Not sure if that is what I should have done. Can someone please help me clear this situation up? Also, my tv does have a built-in hd tuner. Monday night football games(preseason obviously) for example have looked amazing on this tv, but its still saying its coming in through NTSC, as well as all programs on ABC, NBC, FOX, etc. I need help with this as well. All help is greatly appreicated. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 835
Brandon~ what you found was any digital or HD channels in the clear. The "crazy numbers", as you call them, are the digital channel identifier. Go back and re-add them into your line-up, for the most part you should watch them during prime time to see how many SD pictures convert to HD, as most local broadcast networks don't HD 24-7.

Username: Brl1986

Post Number: 2
I have watched these digital/hd channels before, including during prime time. Me and a couple friends all agreed that the channels supposedly coming in through NTSC looked just as good maybe even a little better than the supposedly digiatal/hd channels. I don't understand why this is so. I also still don't understand how I could be receving all the NTSC channels in ATSC reception if all I have is a built-in HD-tuner in my TV. I do not have a subsciption to any HD channels. I greatly appreciate all of your help.

Silver Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 175
Brandon,

No matter what you may think your Tv has both an ATSC and an NTSC tuner built in. Does that help?

xvxvxvx

Username: Remo9999

Seekonk, MA US

I have a 62" Toshiba DLP HDTV that's plugged into a Motorla 3412 DVR. Works perfectly. I then picked up an LG 15" LCD HDTV and ran a coaxial cable from the "Out" jack on the back of the DVR to the LG TV. I get a great picture, but I get the side bars...

If I plug the LG directly into the component video outputs of the DVR, I get spectacular results. Is there a converter box I could buy that I could place near the LG Tv that would convert the signal? Or would it make more sense to buy baluns and just cable it over to the DVR?

I purchased a Samsung SIR-T451 box that a misinformed salesman told me would work, but it's apparently designed to plug in an antenna and not a cable feed...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 181
Hi Gil,

The DCT-3412 is a digital only STB, the coax output you used will only transfer the un-digitized data which is being passed through your STB. You need another cable box provided by your cable company to do what you want.

xvxvxvx

Username: Remo9999

Seekonk, MA US

Post Number: 2
Thanx Scooby... that's what I figured. I also now realize that the Samsung SIR-T451 is for HDTV ready TVs...

NOT TVs that have their own HDTV tuner... Flippin' salesmen... bleah...

-Gil

Username: Slug3266

Pickering, Ontario Canada

I have a Sony 55" Rear projection LCD (KDF55E2000)
I have a digital cable box and It is connected with an HDMI cable. My problem when I watch a station that is broadcast in HD the best ressolution I can get is 480. Should'nt I get 720 or 1080?

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 198
Should'nt I get 720 or 1080?

Nope, not unless your cable box is an HD cable box AND you are subscribed to your HD channel lineup via your cable provider. Your KDF55E2000 has no QAM tuner, only an ATSC tuner. This does mean that you can hookup an external antenna and may be able to get any locals being broadcast in High Def.

Try going to www.antennaweb.org and plug in your info for suggestions on the best antennas for your location.

xvxvxvx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us