Motorized Dish ( help needed)

Bronze Member
Username: Crazy_greek

Post Number: 41
Hey Guys

I could use some help.Here what I have.I installed the mast level in both directions.I adjusted the rotor inclination to my latitude. Motor set at 180 true south. My dish perfectly aligned to be perpendicular with the motor arrow and the motor arrow is pointing at true south.
Dish elevation set at 23.8.I have a clear line of sight only to the following FTA satellites 95.0W thru 123.0W I live at the Eastern Shores of Maryland.My house is facing South West. I have tall trees side & back of house.List of equipment. Dish ( Fortec Star 90cm LNB Invacom QPH-031 Receiver hate to say is a Pansat 2500a.What I am not sure of is the LNB. They are saying that is fully switched. It seem to me that I will need a DiSEqC Switch and also I am not sure of the dish elevation. Looking for your help. THANKS

Silver Member
Username: Morispastora

Thunder bay, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 175
Kevin
First thing get the mast perfectly vertical'
Once you have set the mast plumb and level.....
For now that is the most importante thing to do,
when that is done post....Use your location.. ...North...Longitude. + postal code for the setting.'

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Hey jaime

Thanks. The mast is plumb and level the motor is set to my latitude.I am not sure of my Dish Elevation and if I need a DiSEqC Switch for my LNB Invacom QPH-031.

Username: Dishnut995

Post Number: 7
Kavin,
Not quite sure what you are asking... but if you are asking if you need the switch when you set up your motor, then "no". The switch would only be if you had more than one dish.
Now, if you are trying for true FTA, you need a linear LNB, not a circular LNB. The LNBs for BEV and DN are for circular signals only.
Hope this helps.

Silver Member

Post Number: 176
kAVIN;
Set the motor mount latitude scale to match the installation site latitude and level the dish elevation angle between 20 and 30 degrees(determined by the chart in the motor manual)Aim the dish and motor towards true south compass reading(,magnetic south plus or minus your magnetic declinaation) don't concern too much about true south thing.It's just your dish get headed in the right direcion,set the LNBF rotation (skew) to zero.The motor will set the LNBF as it rotate to the Bird. Next input your longitude and latitude into the USALS menu of the receiver and save the setting.The dish will totate into the motor setting and then stop.Next go into the programmed channales and clich signal to display strenght and quality.Select one active TP of the Bird in the installation menu.Slowly pan the motor on the mast L or R up to 15 or 20 degrees of the estimate position of the Bird.If no quality appears,increase the dish elevation angle by one degree and sweep again,repeat, repeat, repeat until you have a good quality reading and peaked for highest quality reading ( no signal level). Not uses the motor to nudges the position of the dish or the DiSEqc 1.2n mode at this time or your USALS aiming will not be accurate and the motor will not follo the arc of the Bird.Next enter second Bird and set your LNB type,active USALS and select active TP.The dish will move to the motor position for it.You should have a good reading, if no make slight adjustments by panning of the motor on the post and/or dish elevation angle,when you have quaslity on this TP,sSCAN the Bird to programm channales that you can check when return to monitor the signal quality.Return at first Bird and check signal quality again, if this has droped do minus adjustment to peak the quality on the channale of the other satellite's channales.You have to check both satellites a few times to get strong quality on both at the same time.If you leveled the base and points at the first satellite all should works perfectly.Go to any webside enter you city the post code to get the skew.Remember desconect the cable you have to star as it is the first time you are doing the installation.don't redo.Have fun...../

Bronze Member
Username: Bugster999

Katy, Tx

Post Number: 45
with a Pansat it is quite easy to find the birds I have a motorized dish that is about the only thing the pansat is good for at this time.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Hey Bob THANKS

My LNB has two (2) outputs Linear Polarized (V & H ) Switched. Two ( 2 ) outputs Circular Polarized (LHC & RHC) Switched.I only have one (1) Dish 90cm. So you don't think that I need a 4X4 Multi Switch to connect between my four (4) receivers & the LNB? I set the rotor to my latitude 39.0 N & the dish elevation to 23.8. The Dish elevation I am not sure.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Hey jaime THANKS

As soon as it stops raining I will go on the roof and will follow your instructions. I will let you know if I get the Bird or the Bear.

Username: Dishnut995

Post Number: 8
My LNB has two (2) outputs Linear Polarized (V & H ) Switched. Two ( 2 ) outputs Circular Polarized (LHC & RHC) Switched.I only have one (1) Dish 90cm. So you don't think that I need a 4X4 Multi Switch to connect between my four (4) receivers & the LNB? I set the rotor to my latitude 39.0 N & the dish elevation to 23.8. The Dish elevation I am not sure.

Kavin, you have 4 lNB outputs; two linear LNB and two from circular LNB. Looking at the switch, you have 4 INPUTS and only one OUTPUT... the one output is designed to go to one receiver, not multiple receivers... With the one receiver configuration, your motor would move the dish and then you would program the receiver to that satellite. IE: as the dish moved between sats, a FTA type sat (linear) would read one output, You could split that signal to all receivers and program them for that type of signal from that satellite. So, multiple receivers could watch multiple shows, but only on one satellite at a time.

So, no, I still wouldn't use the switch. If the goal is true FTA, I would split the signal coming off the Linear LNB and program as many receivers as you would like. If the goal would be to use the Pansats for BEV and DN, they use the old BIN and the circular LNB outputs and see what few locals are left.

The motor will take care of getting the LNBs read the different sats, and the way you have each receiver configured will determine what you can watch.

As far as the angles and elevation, I can't help you there. Sorry.

Good luck.

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
For 4 receivers you need: the DP34 switch; from the satellites to the dp34,from there to pansat dseqc switch, then to pansat or viewsat and from the side of dp34 , 1,2,3,4 receivers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us