Set up question for Samsung DLP

Username: Trevordog

NJ

Post Number: 2
First off this forum is great for people like me, you really help and thank you.

Now the question. I recently got a Samsung
HL-S5687W. They gave me a new one because my 2 yr old HL-N5663W died and they covered the warranty (thank god!!). I am just hooking up my Tivo, a sony prog/scan DVD player and a Bose home theater (Lfstyl 18) system to it. I know it is not great equipment for the quality of the TV, but that is all I have for now. I just was wondering if I should invest in HDMI cables or are standard S-video or similar cables ok. Does it make that much of a difference. I would like to upgrade my Bose to something nicer in the near future for suround sound. Is there a way that I can hook this group up that would maximize them other then HDMI or S-video. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also any thoughts on the TV, I hope this one works better then the last.

Once again thanks in advance for the help.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 261
What would you connect using HDMI. It is only used to feed an up converting DVD player or a HD cable box to your TV. There is HDMI connections on the bose.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 822
RCA yellow composite video and S-Video cannot carry HD signals and should not be used. Only component (Y, Pr, Pb) video cables or an HDMI/DVI cable will carry HD signals. Component cables are fine for your DVD player. Either is fine for your Tivo. You can buy an HDMI cable for less than $10 on ebay and give it a try.

There should be a digital coax or optical audio out from your Tivo that you can connect to your HT receiver. Your set has an optical out too if you ever use the internal tuner.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us