Question regarding Toshiba D-R4

Username: Txgrandma

Post Number: 9
I just purchased the Toshiba D-R4 dvd recorder as recommended by users on this site; however, I have a question about copying vhs to dvd. On my other panasonic recorder I can program it so that the recording will be the same length as the movie (called flexible recording). I don't believe this feature is available on the Toshiba - what I want to know is - what is the best way to record a movie that is longer than 2 hours - say 2hrs 10min for example. Do you simply change the record mode from SP to LP? Hopefully there's a better way since this would lower the picture quality. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3010
It does have what they call AT recording, but it only works between 1-2 hours. There's a 3 hour mode, I think it's called MP. I use 2 discs if I go over 2 hours. Actually I put 2 movies on 3 discs.

Post Number: 10
Thanks for your reply. I saw the AT recording but most movies are over 2 hours. I saw several references to bit rate and I thought perhaps that was a way around the problem. I don't like the idea of 2 discs - I like to watch a movie from beginning to end without having to change out the disk. I realize in very long movies you have to do this. I prefer each movie to be separate on their one dvd - I put them in their own dvd case with a case insert that I make with my scanner. I guess I got spoiled with the flexible recording on my other dvd recorder - however - I did have ocassional scrambling problems even with the Sima SCC-2 which is why I decided to purchase the Toshiba.

I was also wondering about the 4.3 and the 16.9 aspect ratio. We have a 20 year old sony tv so I presume I should use 4.3. What is the difference between them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3011
Use 4:3, 16:9 is for a widescreen TV.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thanks David - I really appreciate all your help.

Username: 1spidey68

Post Number: 1
hi is there anyone out there that knows if there is a replacement remote control for toshiba d r4 recorder and if so the code number thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3150
I use a One For All 8910. It had to be upgraded over the phone and I had them e-mail advanced functions, it will do all functions of the original remote now.

Username: Tananaw

Post Number: 1
Do you know what code they gave you for the One For All 8910? I called them to get upgraded but they said they didn't have anything for the D-R4. It's frustrating because I've had both the remote and the recorder for about a month now and haven't been able to operate either. I really don't want to spend $60 to replace the original remote.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3179
The code is 1510. Call and talk to someone else, whoever you were talking to was clueless. You'll need to get them to e-mail advanced functions too to be able to finalize discs. The easynavi, what you need to finalize discs, is called virtual remo. If you don't have the manual, get it here.

http://tacpservice.toshiba.com/ConsumerProductSupport/Manuals/dvdr.asp

Username: Tananaw

Post Number: 2
Thanks. I really appreciate your help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3186
I have the advanced functions for the 1510 code. If you want them, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send them with instructions how to use them.

Username: 1spidey68

Post Number: 2
hey ,i have the one for all kameleon }urc-9960 remote .but cant program it to my toshiba d-r4su recorder.it won't turn on or off my recorder all it does is flash up r-1 on my recorder.i tryed all the codes.but get nothing .anybody know what i can do .thanks}

Gold Member

Post Number: 3201
Call One For All and get it upgraded. The code is 1510. You'll need advanced functions too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us