Newbie has a big set...tv set that is

Username: Cganilo

Post Number: 1
Looking for some help.
I'm an admitted newbie in this area so any help would be greatly apprecieated.

I just purchased a Samsung HL-S5686W and a new Samsung DVD player. Upon connecting the DVD using a Monster Cable (V800HDM) I inserted a DVD and began to watch. As soon as the DVD was inserted a small icon popped up on the left of the screen indicating that I was watching the DVD at 420p? I knew that my set was capable of a maximum of 720p and through the DVD player menu switched the resolution but it seemed to have no effect on the quality of the picture. Can someone explain why this might be?

Also, I was only able to switch the screen size from 16:9 to 4:3 and didn't have a widescreen option. Is this only available on certain DVD's or can I do this through my tv?

Lastly, i won't have sat tv until next week but thought I might be able to pick up an HD signal using the built in tuner but can't seem to get a signal. Any troubleshooting I can perform?

Thanks for the help...

Bronze Member
Username: Ju1cyfru1t

Post Number: 25
First, you may not be able to see a difference between 480p and 720p because the video scaler in your TV might be better than the one in your player. Your TV takes all signals it receives and converts them to it's 'native resolution'. You may not see any difference using an old DVD player. You should check, and if your TV is doing a good enough job scaling the image... take the DVD player back.

Second, 16:9(1.78:1) IS widescreen. There are other aspect ratios used in Hollywood (2.35:1 is popular). I don't know of a set that is sold commercially that is 2.35:1, so 16:9 is what you get.

Last, to get HD OTA read the FAQ on this site.http://www.atechfabrication.com/reception_solutions.htm

Hope this helps,
JU1CYFRU1T

Username: Cganilo

Post Number: 2
thanks for the help...I'll check out the site.

Cheers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us