Samsung HL-S5686W/ Sound/HDMI/I'm nuts

Username: Tomas090

Portland, Maine Usa

Post Number: 4
What service?

Have had this TV for about 8 weeks. I swear the video does not sync with video, ESPECIALLY on HD Channels. Cable company says "might be TV," good ole Best Buy says must be cable

Also, I swear I get a better picture using Component cables instead of a MONSTER HDMI?

So many questions and of course both dealer and cable company say its the other problem

Another issue: I always used my BOSE Wave radio as a sound system, no matter where I hook to this TV I get such a reverberation it is unusable

And one more: The lower channels, 3-13 or so have such a lousy picture you would think it is rabbit ears, cable company says "this is normal" on HD TVs???? As measured by Cable Co signal strength is within limits

I have it hooked the following

Cable from Street to HD Cable box, co-ax to DVR RECORDER, CO ax to VCR HDMI Cable to TV Also. Have tried Coax to Cable box then to TV but same issues

DVD recorder is AVI #1
VCR is , well can't recall
TV is HDMI

Maybe I need to post in multiple threads/forums, and advice greatly appreciated

Regards

Tom

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 810
Good lord...man!
You have a new HD tv and don't have a clue how to use it. Have you subscribed to digital cable so you can get the local networks in digital? They are available free off-air too. I count 7 of them.

Check www.antennaweb.org

Click choose an antenna, then enter your zip. Sort by "Show Digital Channels".

Use the tv speakers only or mute them to use external system. Never use both! Dolby 5.1 home theater systems are priced so low now that it's hard to believe anybody would have an HD big screen and not enjoy Dolby 5.1 sound.

If all you have is an analog cable box, there's your problem. Analog cable sucks anyway, no matter what the signal level is. Only a digital cable box providing true digital signal is worth having.

The very best picture is obtained with an old VHF/UHF outdoor antenna (Channel Master, Winegard, Radio Shack, whatever) straight to the air input on the set. Let the ATSC digital internal tuner auto-scan for true digital local abc, nbc, cbs, pbs, etc. channels. They are all crystal clear! I have a Direct TV HD package myself, but I prefer my digital locals off-air.

When you get a digital set top box from cable or sat it won't matter if you use component (Y, Pr, Pb) or HDMI. Both will look equally well!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us