How can I connect my VCR to my PC

Username: Txgrandma

Post Number: 2
I've read in a few posts that some people are conneciting their VCR to their computer. I would like to know how to do that and what equipment I would need. I've been transferring all my old vhs to dvd with a Panasonic ES20S DVD Recorder; however, the dvd's won't play on my older (cheapo) dvd player, but the DVD's I made on my computer will play on it. Also, even though I'm using the GoVideo SCC-2 I have intermittant scrambling problems and will have to disconnect it for several days and than reconnect it. It will work again for a while but than I will start to have scrambling problems again. It's a frustrating problem and feel that connecting my vcr to my pc would be a better option. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2950
Are you finalizing the Panasonic discs? You need a capture care for the PC and if the tapes are copy protected, you'll probably still need the stabilizer.

Post Number: 3
What is a capture care? Once I get to the pc I believe I can use software as a stabilizer - right?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2951
A capture card has the RCA connections to import from the VCR. I don't know if you can use software to get around copy protection or not. Are you finalizing the Panasonic discs? Most people use a standalone recorder for VHS to DVD.

Post Number: 4
Yes I do finalize the discs and I am using a stondalone recorder for vhs to dvd. I've contacted GoVideo and they told me that they believe it's the Panasonic that's causing the problems I'm having as far as the stabilizer is concerned. They also told me they've had several other customers that own Pansonics that are having the same problem. We've considered buying a different recorder but after doing a massive amount of product research on the internet I simply got frustrated with information overload and gave up. I'm now thinking that connecting the vcr directly to the computer would not only be easier but it would produce a better quality dvd.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2952
Panasonic recorders don't have the greatest picture quality, that's for sure. I don't do VHS on a PC, but I doubt it would be better than a good standalone. Standalones have TBCs to keep everything in sync and filters to improve poor quality sources like VHS. You can get a Toshiba D-R4 on ebay for around $100 new, $40-65 used. They are supposed to have the best TBC of any DVD recorder on the market. Look in this forum, everyone has been happy with them.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/42269.html

Post Number: 5
Actually the picture quality of the Panasonic is quite good. It only occasionaly gives me problems when I'm going through the GoVideo SCC2 - for some reason it will decide to temporarialy scramble the signal. Will the Toshiba D-R4 solve the DVD recognition problem I'm having on my cheapo DVD player? It was a freebee and an off brand but it has good picture quality - plus I use it in my office and really don't want to invest in another one since this one works well with the exception of DVD's produced on my Panasonic.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2953
I've never seen a player that doesn't play DVD-R discs. It may be a media problem. What brand and speed discs are you using? If you're happy with the Panasonic, it would be a lot cheaper to just buy another player. I picked up 2 working JVCs on ebay for $20.

Post Number: 6
I use the Taiyo Yuden DVD-R 8x speed. I'm actually pleased with the picture quality when in the play mode - record is good also as long as it doesn't scramble the picture. I also might mention the Panasonic does have a tendency to freeze on occasion. That's why I was looking for other options. From what I've read in numerous reviews most brands have the same problems.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2954
I've been using a D-R4 for 7 months, it's never froze. In 2 1/2 plus years using a Panasonic E-20 it froze twice. I've got an E-10 that's never froze. It used to lose the clock once in awhile and have to be unplugged and plugged back in, it hasn't done it in a few years now though. TY discs shouldn't have any problems. You shouldn't have anything below or on top of the recorder, it'll get hot if you do. It's not good to leave DVD recorders on or use them for too long at a time, they tend to run hot.

Post Number: 7
Interesting - I didn't know that. I do have it sitting on top of the VCR due to lack of space. I have some extra large rubber feet between them. I guess I'll have to come up with a better system. I don't leave it on though and I don't use it for long periods of time, but I do use it almost daily. Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2957
You can just put something under the DVD so that's it's not sitting right on top of the VCR. I've used 2 liter soda tops before. If it's an old VCR with vents on top, it might need more room than that. If it's a newer VCR without vents on top, that should be enough space.

Post Number: 8
I've decided I'm going to buy the Toshiba D-R4 - Can you tell me if it comes with the original manual? I contacted Overstock.com and they have a reburished one but they couldn't tell me if it came with the manual. I want the manual if it originally came with it. I perfer shopping at a place that has a warranty and with someone I trust.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2962
I would think it would have a manual from overstock. It came with 2 manuals, an owners and an installation. Here's the manuals.

http://tacpservice.toshiba.com/ConsumerProductSupport/Manuals/dvdr.asp

Username: Bandit1200k5

Galwlay, Galway Ireland

Post Number: 1
i am trying to get my laptop to find my vcr i have the scart lead connected to my vcr and the s-video lead connceted to my laptop also the red and white leads connected together with a piggy back jack to the speaker connection on my laptop i then select my movie maker program and try to capture but nothing happens it just keeps telling my no devices connected what am i not doing or what do i need
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us