Samsung TV help

Username: Unfortunate_events

Post Number: 2
Hi, I have a problem and was hoping someone could help. First let me say that I have no experience with any HDTV stuff and my lingo is atrocious because I have no idea of all the proper names. Anyway, I am house-sitting for someone on vacation and they have a Samsung HDTV thing. I don't know about the numbers or whatever but maybe someone will know as I talk about it. I turned on the TV and after a few minutes the picture disappeared and a message box in the center of the screen starting blinking like crazy. It said something like no ATV signal or something about a signal being lost I don't remember. Anyway then the screen went blank. The power button is a circle with timer, lamp, and standby/temp arranged in it. The lamp word started blinking and then I tried to turn it on and the standby/temp word lit up and then nothing happened and no words were lit up for a few seconds. It did this in that order every time I tried to turn it on. After a couple days I came down to the living room where the TV is to try to turn it on again and all three lights were blinking. If someone can help me I'd really appreciate it. I'm just afraid I broke the darn thing or something. Oh, and I don't know if this is relevant but they have a dish thing. It's bigger than the one people put on their roof and it sits it their front yard. But it's not super big. I would say maybe 1.5 to 2 feet in diameter. I thought maybe the signal was lost because the people I'm house-sitting for have a kitten that likes to screw around behind the TV. I am not about to touch the wires back there and poke around to see if something came undone unless I have to. Any help would be appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 786
There is another set top box that has to be turned on to give the set picture signal. Find it and power it up first. Then, try to power up the set. If the set won't come on, unplug it for a few minutes and then plug it in and try another power up. Repeat this several times until it comes on. If still no luck try this. Power the set on and immediately slap the back left side of the set several times. Seriously! These are tricks to strike a failing lamp into working a little longer. May work...may not! If it ever comes on, don't turn it off! Just turn the volume down before retiring for the night. Good luck!

Post Number: 3
Ok, I go to the turning on and slapping part but nothing happened. The TV clicks like it's going to go on and then I hear this little fan thingy kick on and then after a few seconds the click sound happens again. Then the standby/ temp light blinks then all three lights blink. I tried the process again and after the lamp word blinking and a serious of clicking sounds separated by 10-15 seconds, all three lights on the power button started blinking. I hope I didn't hurt it anymore than it already is hurt. Thank you so much for your prompt and insightful reply, FYI. On a side note, none of the other regular TVs in the house have a picture. Just the fuzzy black and white dance when I turn them on. Do you think it is the dish thingy? Maybe it's that AND the HDTV thing is also messed up?

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 789
Sounds like the lamp needs to be replaced.
Call 1-800 SAMSUNG and give them the serial number on the right side of the set. They will tell you if it's still under their warranty. If so, the lamp is covered. They will find a service shop close to you. Good luck!

Post Number: 4
Will do. Hopefully thats what it needs. Thanks so much.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us