The best (real) FTA satellite to aim at...

Username: Jrq

Post Number: 6
I plan to go the legit FTA route and will be buying a bigger KU dish and linear lnb. For a long list of reasons I cannot put up a very big dish. The biggest I can go is about 33" give or take a few inches. I am in southern Ontario.

I need some advice: assuming I am not going to motorize the dish immediately, what would you say is the single best satellite to aim at to get the most english channels?

Taking the question a little further, how much bigger than 33" would I have to go in order to get some reasonable quality english channels?

I know I can look on lyngsat for channel lists per satellite, but I can't figure out how big the dish must be! And lyngsat isn't too clear on what's C-band and what is KU-band.

Silver Member
Username: Mybig_willie

Post Number: 253
The 30" or larger is ok.
Best englist content is on G10R and AMC 3.
Lyngsat does show whats what.Like 12114v or 11780h is 33"linear ku. 11270L or11270R is 18 circular.Anything with 4 digits like 4260H is cband.

Username: 1211

Post Number: 5
C&P LK

FTA Azz...either U are ignorant and know nothing about FTA and the DSS game or are a Canadian Azz newbie who is a native (red skin), or a scammer!...yeah, there's a new magical receiver to buy when all other FTA receivers are down, except a coo*lsat with a reader that is basically useless unless U do unlocked plastic rom 102 with an iso, and an unlocker...so which U might as well just do the plastic and forget the coo*lsat!..

Bronze Member
Username: Nomeloplagies

Post Number: 70
JRQ... welcome to the hobby, here is my contribution to our community. The "Tips" are in Spanish, however the links and "tools" are in English. http://arquitectura.hopto.org/satelite/

You will "love" footprints section ...

Enjoy it !

Post Number: 7
Thanks everyone

Bronze Member
Username: Joe48

Post Number: 19
so u get showtime channels on G10R thats what see on lynsat also:
ESPNews
ESPN Classic USA
C-SPAN 3
Toon Disney
SoapNet
ESPN Deportes
Lifetime Movie Network
Lifetime Real Women
ABC News Now
ESPNU

Silver Member

Post Number: 262
All that you show there is encrypted and on the cband side of g10r.When at lyngsat only the digital/clear or the yellow lines are fta.

Post Number: 8
Big Willie, you seem to know a lot about the true FTA satellite feeds. Thanks for your input!

I had a look at EchoStar 1 at 148.0°W and channels like Starz, HBO and Encore are in yellow. The key on the website shows yellow lines as open/free. Seems to good to be true...
The encription column lists them as MPEG-4 and not Nagra 2.
In order to get open channels, does the encription column have to have a "F" or DVB?

Thx

Bronze Member
Username: Yo8bps

Post Number: 40
Take a good look at that chart !!! Most of the
channels are ENCRYPTED !!!
Galaxy 10R at 123.0°W
====================================
h^^p://www.l^^^sat.com/g10r.html
====================================
The ones with a red [ F ] , you can see ; they are FREE !

Silver Member

Post Number: 266
YELLOW lines with RED F.Looks right.Thanks Cris, learned something today.Havent tried for 148W.You saved me the trouble as i had the same ? as JRQ earlier.

Silver Member

Post Number: 270
English content on G10R @ 123W.33" DISH AND LINEAR LNB.

KCBU,KDEV,KEGS,KKTU,KQUP,KTVC,KWBF,KWBM,KWCE,
KWFT,KWWF,KYPX,SNG,UPN,WBMM,WGMU,WMQF,WNGS,WPXS.+A FEW OTHERS.

SOME ARE: ABC,FOX,UPN,WB,RTN(4),LICK TV,PBS.MOST FROM ARKANSAS,MISSOURI,TEXAS,LOUISANS,

A FEW MORE ON CBAND.

Silver Member

Post Number: 271
SPANISH CONTENT:
The other channels(about 10) labeled KXXX or WXXX are SPANISH CONTENT. MAS MUSICA.THE TUBE has moved to a different sat as well and at least one of the fox channels is encrypted now.And thats the best sat out there for ENGLISH not bad for SPANISH either.Sorry for the good news.

Silver Member

Post Number: 272
Add it up. I used a old primestar dish given to me, mounted it to a old piece of pipe and pointed at 123w.Cost $0.(Except for the sat meter.)Better get a sat meter.

Dish and lnb is $80.Add a motor and get maybe 20 more channels (that you may want)$180.00.Easier to add a second dish cause AMC 3 is about the only other choice for ENGLISH.

A friend has a odd decipher 2 cband and gets a lot of free pron but there is no sound.Movies too but no sound.I aint setup the cband someone gave me.It its huge, heavy, like 200 lbs, 10' in diam,and ugly as all he11.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us