Samsung HLR-5067W Looks Like PC in 256 Colors

Username: Fdisk

Edmundson, MO United States

Post Number: 1
The symptom I am having is similar to a PC running in 256 colors. Or like a color negative. Tried other HDMI cable, component and straight from OTA so it is a set issue.

I notice it more in HD and darker screens with close-ups of actor's faces. It was ISF professionally calibrated after 100 hrs. of lamp burn-in a few months ago. Started about 3 weeks ago and seems to be worsening. Already had LE replaced. Called Samsung & Sammy certified field engineer (he took a class in NJ) is coming over on Thurs. to replace LE again as they seem to think it's the DMD board.

FYI, I would love your input prior to them coming over Thurs. He seems fairly competent, but I still prefer to have a heads-up with input & research before they open up my "baby". It took vey well to the ISF calibration and was gorgeous until now.

Thanks in advance!

Site is restricting my posting pics over 100K so FYI, please PM me is you want to see pics similar to my issue.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 769
Well...part of the DMD Controller's menu is the Index Delay. Sounds like it's gone off the deep end. That's the only thing I know of that can cause the effect you see. Seems like they could just replace and re-calibrate the controller and not pull the whole damn light engine.

I don't know if you took photos of all the service menu settings, but that's a real bummer having your ISF Calibration trashed. :-( Maybe the ISF tech will cut you a deal because of the short interval of enjoyment. He should anyway!

I wish you the best of luck with it!

St. Louis, MO United States

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply. Last night I went into the Index Delay which was set at 47 and increased and decreased the setting. I went all the way down to 30 before I saw a slightly better improvement but felt it too low so I put it on 40.

As far as calibrating the controller goes, these guys are more into replacing parts. In fact they want to replace the entire LE with included lamp. Last time I declined the lamp so I wouldn't have to wait to have it calibrated again. My calibrator did it a second time for free. This time I am going to wait as if anything else breaks I will get it replaced. Samsung Executive Office already offered a refurb which I declined.

I hope I get lucky and get another Zeiss lens and since the entire LE is being replaced I would think the service menu settings will not be too helpful but I'll take photos anyway. And yes, my ISF tech offered me a discount which I have not discussed with him yet as I want to see how long this repair holds up.

Oh, I have two cats so I am going to ask the repair tech to show me want to vaccum while it's open. Anything else I should have him check or do?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 777
I can't think of anything.

The reason for the SM photos is so you can set up the new LE with the same settings your ISF tech established. It's possible that you wouldn't even need him to return.

Curious! Did he disable the DNIE?
Most do! I happen to like mine on.

Post Number: 3
No, the first new LE had different specs as it has a Zeiss lens which the repair tech dialed in. The spec sheet was in the LE box. Second, each Light Engine is just different enough that for instance my greyscale was different last time. And yes, my DNIE was turned off.

I am not going to get this calibrated a 3rd time as I am not certain this will be problem free. Samsung alreay offered a refurb. which I declined. If this breaks again, I'm getting it replaced. This will be the third service call tommorrow) they will have made on a 7 month old det.

Post Number: 4
Anyway to edit posts? I made a couple of typos in my last one.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 783
Nope! Can't edit!

Yea...different LE's come with different cal sheets, but CCA's and some other values can be real close. Also DNIE turns off the same way no matter the LE. I'm sure you will play around with it a little.

Post Number: 7
Yep, DNIE is the same. Either on or off. With original and replacement LE (and assume today's too) pulled green and in both cases grayscale was waaaay off which affects all colors. Especially obvious when it comes to whites & blacks.It pulled some blue in white backgrounds and in 2nd LE it pulled yellows in white. Just one example.

From my first calibration report regarding gray scale:
Pre-Calibration Gray Score 18.1
Post-Calibration Gray Score 93.7

I'll take it out of torch mode, adjust some settings. I know more about what to look for overall like making sure the picture is centered and so forth. I have spent quite a bit of time at AVS and so far have not run into any other female so into her set as I am. :-) Having seen how great it can look with proper professional calibration and the need to hold off since the something can break again ticks me off. This set just turned 7 months old and this will be my third repair!

I'll report back when it's repaired this afternoon.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us