How to change from 16:9 to 4:3 on dvd recorder?

Username: Try2solveit

Post Number: 1
Hi
I have read thru entries and couldn't find one which I need to be solved.

I bought DVD recorder "Philips" (DVDR610) last October. It performs very good but one thing is very bothering to me and other watchers. When any rental dvd disc plays on TV and DVDRecorder, the screen of TV always displays up and bottom black bars. I was trying to change it to normal screen on tv and it failed. I know most of rental dvd discs design for 16:9 but it could fit to 4:3 but my TV didn't work and it always displays up and bottom black bars. Why?

And also one week ago I was trying to install VCR device to DVD Recorder and TV. I was puzzled that when VCR turned on ("PLAY") and my TV again displays up and bottom black bars. WHY?
(my tv is not 16:9) Before I installed DVD Recoder, my VCR worked fine and TV screen as normal.

Can you solve this problem? I suspect that my dvdrecorder may has bug?

I forget to add to tell you that I did try to check that rental dvd disc at my friend's home and his tv displayed its fine & normal screen and not like 16:9. ( my friend used another DVD Player). And also I did try to put the rental dvd discs into my computer and it worked to change from 16:9 to 4:3.

I also called the service manufactorer and he stated that I need to buy a new TV. ( don't believe it was because of my old TV. My TV Toshiba is about 14 years old and still runs very good as new)

So have any one of you have the same experience like mine?

Looking forward to hearing from your reply.
Thanks in advance

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2910
Set the TV output in the DVD menus to 4:3.

Post Number: 2
To David,

yes I did it when I installed DVD Recoder and set up dvd recorder menu to 4:3 which suits for my old Tv. And it still didnt help. :-(

Gold Member

Post Number: 2912
Are you sure the rental DVD you were trying to play was a fullscreen DVD? Very few rental DVDs are fullscreen.

Post Number: 3
ok. when I use the rental DVDs and the back of the cover of rental DVD were printed for 16:9. So I wanted to change the screen to 4:3 instead of watching the movie with up and bottom black back bars. I could not change cuz there is no "ASPECT RATIO" like I can choose to switch 4:3 or 16:9 either on PC.

As I mentioned earlier about VCR Before I hooked up the DVD Recorder, VCR worked fine as normal. After I hooked up the VCR device into DVD Recorder and TV. I was amazed that all video cassettes were playing and all looked as 16:9. why?

Thank u for ur respond looking forward to hearing from u soon (i probably will reply tmw cuz i got to go now)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2914
As far as DVDs on a 4:3 TV, all you can do is zoom them if the recorder has zoom. I don't know why the VCR would play letterboxed, I've never seen that happen. I'm not familiar with Philips. All I can say is keep changing the TV settings and see if you can get it right.

Post Number: 4
yes the recorder has zoom. When I press zoom in or out. however when I need to exit zoom mode the screen of TV automatically is back as letterboxed. I can't stay with zoom on cuz it will display the zoom factor on the screen of TV.

Yeah I also dont understand why the VCR also play letterboxed. Strange? That is why I need to be shared with the others who have the experience like mine. I already told the service manfucatorer about that problem and he said it was because of my old TV. I know it is impossible because I know people can't force themselves to buy new tv at the present.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2917
It's not the TV. Manufacters typically blame anything they can other than their equipment.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us