Burned DVD plays in black and white! Read please!

Username: Daconcor

Post Number: 1
My problem: I made a DVD and the movie plays in black and white when it's supposed to be color.

I used WinAVI to convert the movie from .AVI to the dvd format (which makes it like ~4 gigs instead of it's old 700MB)
I had read in a mini-tutorial that I just choose NTSC instead of auto-encoding, I think this might've been my mistake right here, should've left it auto.

I used Nero to burn it to an empty DVD and put it in my Panasonic DVD-S27 dvd player, which is plugged into my Magnavox (dunno product specifics...) TV. The movie began playing in freakin black and white.

When I use my computer's dvd player, it plays in color. On my TV, black and white.

Now, my question is, what's the problem? It's not the wires, because I've double, triple, and quadruple checked that the 3 cables (Red, white, and yellow) are where they should be. I'm about to go encode a new DVD with auto on instead of NTSC, or should I choose PAL encoding? The problem is this process takes literally 50 minutes to an hour, and then to burn it to DVD it's another 20 minutes. I've been working on getting this one stinking dvd to work all freakin day, for the past few hours, and I'm in a really bad mood.

Hopefully someone can help me, thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9039
What signal does your TV take? NTSC or PAL?

Post Number: 3
I have no idea what it takes! I dunno how to check, do I check with the company? I just burned another CD with nero, and this time I chose Auto instead of NTFC, and it gave me a warning "Most of this file is in PAL, choosing this setting will transcode most of the file in PAL format" or something like that. So after the long 2 hours, I put it in the DVD player, and still black and white.

Post Number: 4
My TV model# is 27MT3305/17. Sometimes written as 27MT3305 17.

I searched, found the Magnavox site, it doesn't say whether it's NTSC or PAL, and couldn't find any other sites that gave me the info either. I'm screwed...

Username: Elykhan

What country do you live in? That will tell you whether your TV is NTSC or PAL. If you live in, say, the UK, which is a PAL country, most DVD players when playing an NTSC DVD output NTSC composite video signals. NTSC uses a diferent carrier frequency for the colour on the composite video output which is why you get black and white. If you connect to your TV with an RGB connection (usually using a SCART connector in the UK) you should then get colour.

Username: Supre25

i have the same problem , i think the problem is the dvd player i have the panasonic dvd s27 and some dvd that i burn or in black and white. when i try them in a other dvd player they play ok.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12114
What DVDs are you trying to record?

Username: Ottaforum

I have the exact same problem. I have a Panasonic S27 DVD player and I burned a DVD-Video onto a DVD-R disc using NERO. I chose NTSC which is correct for North America and when I put it into my player, it plays, but only in black and white and it seems to have a vertical hold problem as the bottom of the picture is cut off and shows at the top of the screen. This player says it plays DVD-Rs, I used the right format NTSC, so not sure why it's not working?!? Such a time-consumer this technology stuff! Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone know how to rectify it? I'm thinking of trying to burn a Video CD and giving that a try instead...

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3196
If you're trying to copy PAL discs, they aren't going to play in name brand players sold in the US/Canada. If they are PAL discs, get a cheapie player that says PAL/NTSC. PAL discs can be converted to NTSC, but it's not an easy or fast process, a lot easier to buy a compatible player.

Post Number: 2
PAL? You mean because the .wmv file I am burning onto my DVD-R is from Germany that it's likely PAL format and eventhough my NERO options show NTSC format being burned that it might still have a problem playing on my Panasonic DVD player?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3198
If it's from Germany, it's probably PAL. Nero won't convert PAL to NTSC. It can be done, but it's a slow process and will result in some quality loss. Best just to buy a cheapie player. Look on the box of the player for PAL/NTSC compatible. I've seen $20 players that will do PAL.

Thanks. That was the problem. When I burned videos that I know were produced in North or South America (NTSC-land), they worked fine in my Panasonic DVD player. For now, I'll just stay away from burning European .wmv files to DVD. It's just deceiving, cause NERO comes up with a warning, something like, "most of your videos are PAL, but will be burned as NTSC, change your options if you want to burn as PAL". What it should say is "cannot convert PAL to NTSC".

Username: The_wind

i had the same problem when i copyed a dvd to dvd it also played in black and white on the other tv using a different machine but the disc was recorded in color i have no idea why but it seems as soon as the scart lead is connected to the tv it seems the tv goes to black and white i dont think its how the disc is recorded if you record it in color

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13338
More than likely, that's the copy protection kicking in.

Post Number: 2
no i dont think its the copy protection
i even tryed a dvd that i got from the shop and tryed that like i said i think its either something inside the machine you got to set or its the scart lead i dont think its ne thing to do with the way you recorded it
if its in color it should play in color but dont
its annoying but seems to play on other tv's in color so thats how i know it aint the discs

if it was copy protection thingy kicking in
then how come when i connect the same machine up to a different tv it plays in color the way the dvd was recorded
from the start
thats how i know ithas nothing to do with the copy protection thingy set inside the machine

the solution is to check with your local tv shop maybe they have the answers it may be the amount of pins in your scart lead your using it may be the tv settings or the machine i dont believe its the disc if you recorded it in color then theres no way it can be the disc

Username: Sri2377

Dear all
I have the same problem. My DVD plays in black and white. I paid so much for nero and now seeing black and white in the TV. It is killing.

Did any of you identify the problem?

Help me please

Username: Elykhan

The problem is that in PAL areas like the UK most DVD players when they encounter an NTSC disk output composite video in NTSC format which plays in black and white on PAL TVs.
To get it in colour you have to connect using component video connections (red, green, blue) and not with the yellow RCA connector which is composite video. In the UK most TV's and DVD players have a SCART connector and will accept component video through that. You may have to choose the SCART input that accepts component video and you may have to set your TV to accept component video. You also need a fully wired SCART lead. Then it will play in colour.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us