I need an intelligent person to help me....

Silver Member
Username: Creek

Smithtown, New York

Post Number: 270
I got tired of waiting for the new bin and subscribed to cablenision didital service today. Question: I have one didital box and 2 TVs.
How can I split the didital signal?
What type of splitter should I use?
Thank you, intelligent guys.

Bronze Member
Username: Theunrealkneegrow

Post Number: 16
w/e splitter is fine. just know that you will be watching the same channel on both tv's

Bronze Member
Username: Miguel03

Tucson

Post Number: 35
You can split the signal, but your still gonna need another receiver, or have some way that the remote can change the channel across rooms. Any three way splitter should work, but your gonna have cables to and from the connection to the other T.V.

Bronze Member
Username: Bixsa

Tropicana

Post Number: 13
If you have ever needed to wire up more than a couple CATV jacks, you probably encountered the same problems I did while trying to distubute CATV to the 16+ jacks in my house (nooooo, I don't have 16 TV's in the house). My distributed setup includes Comcast Digital Cable, with my security cameras modulated on channel 78 and the Antenna 1 (The Greek Channel via Dish Networks) on channel 76 -- more on the channel modulation a bit later. The OTA HDTV feed runs from a WineGuard SquareShooter SS-2000 mounted on the roof to the Windows Media Center PC in the equipment room. I can access any content from the MCE via an XBOX, 360 (HD), or Media extender. However, I wanted the ability to connect standard CATV ready displays and displays with CableCards in any room, so I needed to come up with a simple solution.

Here are a few tips I learned:
- You do not need to get 2ghz splitters or amps -- Digital Cable only needs 1ghz Bi-Directional spec splitters/amps.
- The best distribution amp I found is ChannelVisions CVT-38BID, I have tried everything from the cheap $10 ones to the more expensive ones like this one... no comparision... get this one!
- Throughly read and study the "Compensating for Video Loss" page on Structured Wiring How To. This site has everything you need to know about distributing cable TV and all the losses involved with splitters.

I ended up buying two 1x8 Leviton 2ghz splitters, again, you don't need the 2ghz, but it's not that much more cost for future needs. The 8-way splitter outputs are connected to the remote room jacks. The splitters are feed via a 2-way 2ghz splitter that comes from the 2-way 1ghz splitter/combiner. This combines the signal from the modulator (Greek TV on channel 76) and the filtered CATV signal from the ChannelVision Bi-Directional Amp. The 4-way 2ghz splitter is where the CATV input from the dmarc comes in. I take a 7db loss at that point, and a 5db loss from the main dmarc (point the CATV enters the home) due to a 100' RG-6 run. So let's say the db from the street to the dmarc is 25db, by the time I get it into my equipment room, I have 25db - 5db - 7db = 13db ( read the Compensating for Video Loss for more info on this). The 13db is still a good signal and I can use the extra two unamplified ports for testing or for future cable modem needs (currently run DSL 6mb). One of the ports of the 4-way goes to a Digital Cable box, which I could connect directly to the 8-way, but chose not to. The other cable from the 4-way splitter goes to the ChannelVision CVT-38BID for amplification to the two 8-way splitters.

Once everything is connected, and the amp powered up, I just needed to plug a TV on the furthest jack in the house, then check to see if the signal is too weak or too strong. Too weak usually causes noise, too strong you will see waves or a haringbone pattern. Adjustment is easy, just turn a dial until the picture is clear. The main reason why I really like the ChannelVision CVT-38BID is because it has a test input and output which attenuate the signal by -20db. This is a good feature because you can attenuate the input by 20db and amplify the output, or vice-versa. The amp also has a tilt-compensator if you get any signal problems on the higher end of the spectrum -- I didn't need to use that adjustment. Also, if a few of the jacks are a bit to strong you can attenuate them with CATV attenuators. They are available in different values to suit your needs.

Upload

Silver Member

Smithtown, New York

Post Number: 271
Thank you so much guys! You're awesome! You're really gifted.
Thank you The Unreal, Miguel and Bixsa de Coco for his detailed info.

"Digital Cable only needs 1ghz Bi-Directional spec splitters/amps. " Thank you!

Bronze Member

Tropicana

Post Number: 14
de nada! any time! creek!Upload

Silver Member
Username: Tayaran

Post Number: 234
creek: you gave up on FTA come on man ...

Username: The_kid

Phartville, USA USA

Post Number: 8
you need an enteliginte person go look at a t*urd it's more smarter than you.

Bronze Member

Tropicana

Post Number: 15
he will be back,when will be bin (new)

Upload

Silver Member

Smithtown, New York

Post Number: 272
Sorry to give up on FTA but Roy Jones' fight is next Saturday!
Some things you just can't live without.

Silver Member
Username: Hawaiian_time

Hawaii

Post Number: 316
Hey Maple, can't we get rid of this danny the kid clown? Bix, creek is a wahine (girl).

Bronze Member
Username: Username999

Post Number: 18
why do u have to go that far?
Just put RCA/Component cable to output of receiver. Mine has two output (one RCA and one component).
And shows on both TVs. Works great!

Silver Member
Username: Rufa33

Post Number: 139
We can't Ikaika ,, there is no moder here .... That is the problem

Silver Member

Hawaii

Post Number: 317
Maple Leaf is a mod here. Although some people have been banned, still not enough being done to clean up this place

Bronze Member

Tropicana

ikaika, how you know that? (I am about a wahine)

Silver Member

Hawaii

Post Number: 318
You talking about Creek? Creek has been here for a few months. One of the more popular wahines.

Bronze Member

Tropicana

Post Number: 17
I am 2(two) years here.

Bronze Member

Tropicana

don't look to Registered: Jul-06
it BS

Silver Member

Smithtown, New York

Post Number: 273
Dear satellite geniouses, I went to Ratio Shack and got 2 didital splitters. (just in case)
From the SOURCE wire that comes from Cablenision I connected a 1 ghz splitter, so now I have 2 signals.
From one signal I connected the wire straight to my TV upstairs, from the other I connected another 1 ghz splitter.
From this 1 ghz splitter I connected my internet modem, (which is also my phone source) and my Scientific Atlantis cablenision box. (which is connected to my HD Sony TV)
To my astonishment, the internet continued on, the phone also worked, AND the TV upstairs (which has no cablenision box) works independently from the box hooked up with the High Definition TV downstairs.
Unbelieveble! I'm so glad.
Thank you guys.

Bronze Member
Username: Fatbastard

10 Albany Rd. Tonawanda, N.Y

Post Number: 63
BIXSA DE COCO.......good job.

Good to see that there are still some dedicated people here.:-)

Username: Maddas

Post Number: 6
i think the mod's should just blow up this form and start over from new that way they can keep it cleen

Bronze Member
Username: Mike2715

Post Number: 22
There are no MODs on this forum......

Bronze Member
Username: Birdwatcher

Post Number: 55
there are no intellegent people in here.

Bronze Member
Username: Jahow7

CalcuttaIndia

Post Number: 14
There are no intelligent people on these boards.
You need an IQ of 10 or less to post.

Bronze Member
Username: Rekman

Longueuil, Quebec CANADA

Post Number: 40
I have been Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting
NOW I AM TIRED OF Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
wait on me, ill have a philly cheese steak, hold the onion with curly fries and a dr. pepper.

Bronze Member

CalcuttaIndia

Post Number: 15
Birdwatcher, do you have nothing better to do with your life than post 100 messages in the last hour?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
nah, not really. its my day off and im just kinda sitting here lmao. Im having a blast.......really. im trying to be a goldmember by five oclock....think i can do it.

Bronze Member

CalcuttaIndia

Birdwatcher, great answer. Keep up the good work love your posts - they are a hoot.

Silver Member

Hawaii

Post Number: 325
On your day off you should be playing with your pretty wife instead of your computer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
i know dude, but shes working today. thank god, cuz if shes home all she wants to do is shop. Not good.

Silver Member

Hawaii

Post Number: 326
lol, sounds familiar...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
yeah when i leave town i cant bring her a t shirt, she wants a dooney.

Bronze Member

CalcuttaIndia

As long as she is not shopping for an FTA receiver you have nothing to worry about.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
thats the truth
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us