Direct TV DVR and Copy Protection

Username: Jjr243

Hollywood, Florida USA

Post Number: 1
I'm sure I am not alone in trying to record material off of Direct TV's DVR to a DVD recorder. I made the mistake of buying a Best Buy DVD recorder and it did not take long to realize that I could not bypass the Copy Protection. Now, my question is : Is there a DVD recorder out there that can burn DVD copies and can bypass Direct TV's copy protection?
I also could not convert my VHS tapes to DVD because of this same Copy Protection. I have done much reading and know it is either Macrovision or CGMS that is in the Direct TV's signal. I do not want to filter the program through my computer, encode it with a decoder, like DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink, then burn it on my computer with my DVD burner, a process that would take over 8 hours for a 2 hour movie. Is there a simplier way or a DVD Recorder that can just burn it direct? Any Information will be appreciated???

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2865
You probably won't find any new DVD recorders that will. Older ones will. You can buy a stabilizer which may or may not work, or you can buy a time base corrector, they aren't cheap.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8849
That is exactly the intent of copy protection. To keep you from having an easy time copying the material. Keeps the pirates busy and you from turning into one.

Bottom line...there is no easy way and there are no DVD recorders out there that are made to bypass copyright protection, there are only hacks, but there are no guarantees.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us