Samsung DLP "Grinding" Noise

Username: Jpeldred

Post Number: 1
I have a samsung HL-R4266W. I got it in January. Its been great until the other day. I have a motorola DVR box, and occasionally hard drive hits/spins rather loudly. I thought this was happening the other day, but when I turned off the motorola, I realized it was the TV. I'm sort of a novice (this is my first rear projection TV), but after reading the posts here and other places, I took the back panels off, checked the bulb, looked at the fans, cleaned everything out etc. I taped the kill switch in place so I could power the machine up, and I still heard the noise. It really is that hard drive grinding noise - picture your PC when its doing a lot of work or is hot. What I noticed was when I stopped the lamp fan, the noise stops. But the noise doesn't necessarily sounds like its coming from the lamp fan, which is strange. Also, when I spin the lamp fan with my hand with the power off, there is no noise at all. After reading some additional posts today, I wonder if its the color wheel. I don't know where that is yet, but it seems like a possibility. Anyone have any ideas? The TV works fine but for the obnoxious noise.

Here's the kicker. I don't have a warranty or service plan because I won the TV in a contest. As cool as that is, I signed all sorts of agreements that the TV was "as-is," so I have no recourse other than coming out of pocket and what I can figure out. Including the taxes I paid on the TV and this little issue, I could have bought the same model with a service plan at BB or CC for the same amount of money.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

JP

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 756
Replace the lamp fan!

www.samsungparts.com

Username: Jpeldred

Post Number: 2
Thanks FYI - you think that's what it is? Any idea if its normal for it to go bad this early?

Its almost as if the fan is causing something to vibrate.

Know of any instructions for replacing the lamp fan? Thanks again.

Username: Robmanuel

My samsung HLP5063WX went out today, Replaced the lamp about 8 months ago, pulled it out and everything looks ok, my son said he was watching when he heard something like glass breaking, now the tv vibrates excessivley with no picture, i don't think it's the lamp, what would cause the vibration?

Username: Robmanuel

Post Number: 2
Took the back cover off, sounds like the vibration is coming from the fan by the lamp, but lamp will not come on, the fan is turning, but a with a bad vibration, do you think it may have burned the lamp out, physical look of the lamp appears to be ok, can someone help?

Username: Jangro

I'm on my third lamp on my HLM4365WX and you can't tell necessarily if they're bad by looking at them. The filament doesn't necessarily break, like you tell if a lightbulb is bad.

As for the grinding sound, could be the color wheel's bearings. Mine went and sounded more like a high pitched buzz than a grind. But the only two moving parts in there are the fan and the color wheel.

I just changed my color wheel. See here for some pictues of the inside of the set. It may help you figure out what's going on.

samsung dlp color wheel

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 779
Really nice how-to, Scott! :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us