Samsung HL-S5087W... buy or not buy is the question

Username: Rklutts

Morrow, OH United States

Post Number: 1
Well I have been lurk-n around the board and reading a lot about the Samsung DLPs and the many problems people are having with them but I have been given a "Hall Pass" by the wife to get a new TV (step up from my old 32" Sony CRT) in to the HDTV world.

I am in a buyers club and Samsung is one of the brands I can get a decent discount on it along with others brands like Sony, Hitachi, Mits, Panasonic. But the 50' 87W DLP with 1080p is pretty sweet and I can get it for around $1800!!!

But I have been reading a lot about the issuse with these sets and was wondering if I am just gonna be buying a problem and I really don't want to create TV issuse. I have talked to local sales people at circuit city about this set and he did say they have gotten quite a few of them back from people due to the local cable (time warren) put out a analog signal that does not work well with these TV's.

Would there be any other recommendations of brands and models with less issuses... I want to stay under 2K in club price that is and at least 42".

I was looking Plasma at first but like how I can get a few more inches of screen by going projection.

Rob

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 755
You haven't read any issues about the HL-S 5087W.
It's a beeeauuuteeeful set! That's one hellova great price for it too. :-)

Many think it beats SXRD hands down!
I wouldn't buy anything other than a 1080P DLP!

Lots of rave reviews on the AVS forum.
It has it's own thread. Last time I looked it was 114 pages.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=665890&page=1&pp=30
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us