How to find a Satellite that isn't DN or DTV

Bronze Member
Username: Ajdarwin

Post Number: 47
I have to tell you guys, I just switched dishes, (I had an old 18 inch dish), to an old Primestar dish, one of those really big ones. I put an old dish network LNB without its cover at its focus and tried to find a satellite. I used Lyngsat, ran the numbers, preset the dish, and all I can find with this thing is DN. I have found four satellites so far with 99 quality, but when I check them, they are all DN. Perhaps the focus is not good enough and the strongest satellite nearby dominates, I don't know. All I know is, I think I am going back to my 18 in dish. I had forgotten how hard it was to find something that wasn't Dish or DTV. Thank God I marked the old one before I moved it, and replaced it with this one. By the way, the old Primestar Dishes rock for signal strength, just have to tune them in. Trying for the G10R satellite, thought I would get less fade from the Primestar.

Username: Fatbastard

10 Albany Rd. Tonawanda, N.Y

Post Number: 5
Ya ..it's hard out there for a satellite pimp..:D

Silver Member
Username: Hardrockstriker

Post Number: 262
If you want FTA channels you will need a LINEAR lnb on your dish. DN (for the most part), DTV, and BEV use circular lnbs, which is what you have.

Bronze Member
Username: Waydown

Post Number: 62
I took a c/ ku feed,with LINEAR lnb for C-band LINEAR lnb for Ku-band and added a circular lnb to the side of feed.All on a 10 foot dish.I love it,I have everything.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
I have a Five foot dish, and may try it set up your way. I hadn't thought of the fact DN lnbs are circular and I had been using an old .8 lnb with a primestar feedhorn before. No wonder all I got was DN. Another Homer Simpson moment, DOH!
I had the lnb and just used it without thinking. I used to install DTV and had a lot of old Dish stuff around. Not very useful, although the dishes work okay if you don't mind a little mod work. I used stuff at Lowes to make the mod on my dish and it works great.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
I think I will try the Primestar with the LNB from my 18 inch dish. Just might work. LOL. Those 99 quality signals were pretty impressive.

Bronze Member
Username: Waydown

Post Number: 63
I dont get rain outs
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us