Samsung extended warranty

Username: Bbbird

Post Number: 1
I am new to all this and researching my first "big TV" purchase. I think it may be the Samsung 50" DLP HL-S5087W. My question is the big chain stores push the extended warranty which I feel is overpriced (about $500 for 4 years). Does anyone know if Samsung offers a better priced warranty when you register the TV? I found this to be the case with a Toshiba laptop. Luckily, I was able to cancel the extended warranty from the big chain store.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 744
Samsung offers 15 months factory warranty included with set purchase if you register your set online. Pay with a credit card and it doubles. Thirty months at no cost isn't bad.

Great set choice, by the way! :-)

Username: Gatech94

Saint Petersburg, FL USA

Post Number: 1
Samsung is upgrading my TV set which is a 1st generation DLP set HLM437W. I've had several issues with it and finally decided to call Samsung Customer Service and complain. Well it sort of worked cause they are going to pro-rate and do an exchange for my older DLP TV. It's still going to cost $$$ to upgrade eventhough the set I have was $3500+ initially versus the new 1080P HLS models are under that now but that comes to be expected.

Anyway I'm really interested in this warranty thing and trying to figure out how this 30 month warranty works? You register the product - OK but where do you pay with credit card? Remember I'm getting the TV directly from Samsung notthrough one of the retailers.

Now I also need to decide:
DLP - LCD or Plasma... aaaahhh too many choices these days...

But want to keep the $$$ to a minimum so looking at the HLS 5087 or HLS 5088 and really trying to figure what the REAL differences are???

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 749
Just get the S 5087! It's a DLP, by the way.
It's an absolutely wonderful set, you lucky dog! :-)

When you get it, register with Samsung online for the 15 months warranty. Most credit card companies offer to extend the factory warranty on purchases made with their card. Call your credit card company and ask about it.

Bronze Member
Username: Jumpback

Post Number: 100
gatech94...be careful here. With a replacement set the 'standard' warranty may not apply. I have a vast amount of experience with replacement sets from RCA and in those cases replacement sets were only warranteed for 3 MONTHS.

This may be different with Samsung. My point is dont assume the replacement set has the same warranty as a set purchased in the 'normal' way.

Ask Samsung about this.

Username: Gatech94

Saint Petersburg, FL USA

Post Number: 2
Quick question about the differences between the HLS XX87 and 88. What's this I read about 8-bit versus 10-bit. I'm not even sure I understand what it's all about but I'm reading conflicting stats and wondering what the final word on that is? and what does it mean to the picture?

Thanks!! for clarifying!!

HLS xx88 you get PIP and CableCard of which either I don't need nor care about.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 751
I verified this...
Both are 10 bit processors.
Both use ATI Xilleon technology!
:-)

No worries!
Get the 87 if you don't care about PIP or CC!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us