Sony KP51WS510 repair issues

Username: Tfountain

Post Number: 1
I had an authorized service center replace all 3 of the screens in my Sony KP51WS510 (purchased in 04/2004). Once they replaced the screens, it was obvious that the quality of the picture had been altered somehow. The symptons I am seeing are:
1) If watching the television either left or right of center, the opposite side of the screen is dark - and gets darker the closer to the edge it gets.
2) It's more obvious with lettering or fixed images on a contrasting background but the text/images appear to be offset through the different screens both left and right of center. I'd say a blur but I know there are 3 screens. However, dead center appears totally ok.
3) If viewing from anywhere other than directly in front of the television, there are slight rainbow effects visible going from the top of the television to the bottom.

Without going into all the detail, the company that did the repair is saying there is nothing wrong with the television. I've gathered information via Sony Parts, Sony Customer Relations and even another authorized service center. I suspect one of two things based on my findings from the above sources - (1) either one or more screens are installed incorrectly or (2) some of the parts they replaced are are the incorrect parts.

I am hoping some of you might be able to lend some advice on what could be causing this. Or point me to references to help figure this out. It's obvious this company is a fly by night operation and really have no clue - first identified when he thought my Sony DVD remote was the teleivsion remote - frantically punching in codes to try and bring up the service menu as he called it, followed by grabbing my remote for my Sony Vaio in an effort to do the same. It was actually priceless to watch him try to figure out why the menu was not coming up.

I have tried to do the flash focus and the convergence but no luck.

Also, does anyone know how to verify part numbers supplied for my television? I have through the above sources and have gotten contradictory information - most saying the part given to me for the lanticular is the incorrect one. And ironically enough, about $140 more than the supposedly correct part.

To make matters even more frustrating, the service techs came out, decided since I didn't have the remote could not do anything, refused to verify the screens were installed correctly and then went back and told their boss there was nothing wrong with the television. These guys had to be blind and stupid to not see the issues. The television is practically unviewable to be honest. And after having another round of unpleasant conversations with the store owner, he is sending out his service manager tomorrow (now today at this time) to review the situation.

Any tips or references?

Username: Trowan306

Post Number: 1
Your screens may be in wrong. The inside one has the circular pattern with the rough side facing in. The middle one has the up/down pattern with the rough side facing out. The outside screen is a glare shield and I don't think it matters which direction it faces.

Punching the codes for the service menus is tricky, you have 1 sec or less between each keypress, sticky keys make it near impossible.

You can research the part numbers for yourself. My web site has a research page with links to several distributers' parts stores that I use. www.electrascantv.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us