Connecting DVD recorder to old surround sound system

Username: Mikeacy

Post Number: 1
I purchased a packaged DVD Home Theater one year ago. The speakers connect to the DVD player with regular speaker wires. I would now like to purchase a DVD Player/Recorder and connect this to my current speakers. However the ones I have looked at do not have "regular type" speaker wire connections in the back. Is it possible to do this?
Thank you,
Mike

Bronze Member
Username: Tonytiger

PA US

Post Number: 70
Are you comparing a computer accessory DVD player /recorder to a unit like the Panasonic DMRs? The Panny has an RCA connector (round usually colored red and black for the two audio connectors as opposed to the red and black terminals that are screw type or 'push in' on stereo equipment.
Do you have a picture of the back?

Post Number: 2
Right now I have a DVD player only that has 5 push in type connectors (Black and red, Black and green..etc) in the back for the 5 surround sound speaker wires. When I went to purchase a TV DVD/recorder unit I noticed that they didn't have these type of connectors but rather the RCA (?) type that and round red and black connectors. And there weren't 5 of them. I believe just one pair per output. I would like to purchase one of these but if I can't connect them to my existing speakers it would be a waste. Is there an adaptor?

Bronze Member
Username: Tonytiger

PA US

Post Number: 72
I'm having a hard time visualizing the back of the DVD player. Does it have component out (Red-Green-Blue) and audio (Red-Black)? Each would look like an RCA connector.

Post Number: 3
Thanks again for your reply. But since I didn't purchase the DVD recorder I can not really remember what it looked like in the back. I was just surprise to see no connections for speaker wire. If I were to take an educated guess, I believe the connectors that were on the DVD's I was looking at were Red and Black.

Unregistered guest
Asking on behalf of my husband (who, of course, will not ask for directions. For anything.)

What cables connect-to-what to connect an RCA HTS1000 sound system to a DVD player and TV cable receiver ? Surround sound jacks into the cable box? Output to DVD???

chewy
Unregistered guest
Hi I hope this helps from what i have learnt with regards to dvd players, One must look on the front panel and look for the sign DTS and underneath in small writing it will have one of two options ie "digital out" or "surround", if it says digital out then you cannot connect surround speakers you will have to buy a digital amp that you have to connect up first then your speakers will connect to that, but if it says surround then the amp is built into the dvd player/recorder and will have speaker outputs at the rear for all your speakers, if there is no DTS sign then it will will not play surround sound.

kittyhawk
Unregistered guest
I am trying to connect Dvd recorder to a DVD player, so that I can duplicate my holiday DVD, could you tell me how to connect and what I need to do this. Thanks,
Kathy

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 104
Most DVDs are copyguarded and can't be copied without a stabilizer. Hook an s-video cable or RCA jacks from the DVD player to one of the inputs on the DVD recorder, there is usually more than one, then set the DVD recorder on whatever input you connected the cables to. If you use an s-video cable you still have to use RCA jacks for audio. If the DVD is copyguarded the recorder will probably say copying not allowed or something to that effect.

Unregistered guest
Hi, I'm trying to get my surround system working but have run into trouble! I can get the surround sound to work when playing dvd's but want to know how to play the normal tv channels through it? can anyone help it would be a great help. it is a philips a5.600d 5.1 channel compact speaker system going to a toshiba tv. thanks....

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 189
Regular TV isn't broadcast in 5.1. What do you have? Cable, antenna? Do you have a stereo VCR?

IB
Unregistered guest
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/dvd18.htm

als01
Unregistered guest
I have a JVC TH-A5R home theatre system which has gave me nothing but probs. The laser is kaput and i'm thinking of trying to use a cheap DVD player to run through the theatre system. Is this possible? I also tried a second hand unit from ebay dealer which I swapped over but with this unit there is no picture and it seems to be locked. Any advice would be appreciated.

als01
Unregistered guest
I have a JVC TH-A5R home theatre system which has gave me nothing but probs. The laser is kaput and i'm thinking of trying to use a cheap DVD player to run through the theatre system. Is this possible? I also tried a second hand unit from ebay dealer which I swapped over but with this unit there is no picture and it seems to be locked. Any advice would be appreciated.

Unregistered guest
I have a Philips 642 DVD player and a set of Genius SW Hf 5.1 channel speakers and am having trouble expirencing the surround sound.only the front speakers are producing sound.Does it mean that I have to use an amp or can these beconnected directly. I desparetly need help.

Unregistered guest
I have just ordered a 5.1 surround sound system but it comes with no cables. Can anyone email be back (popmanw@aol.com) what the cheepest cable i could get to connect my dvd player to the sound system and the expensive/best quality cable i could get? Thanks

Unregistered guest
I have an LG dvd player with 5 speakers which have individual bare connections into the back. I have now bought a Liteon dvd recorder and would like to utilise my 5 speakers with this unit, but the Liteon recorder has only one jack type output socket, red and white audio and yellow video. Is there a conversion unit available which will allow me to use these speakers with my new dvd recorder?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us