Samnsung DLP problems

Username: Paladin

Post Number: 1
I have an HL-P61663W model, and recently my 1.5 yr old son mashed the buttons on the side. Something appears to be jammed and the only thing every button on the TV does is turn the thing off or on i.e. if you hit a channel button if the TV is on, it turns it off. So okay the side buttons don't work - use your remote! The remote is the same story. Any button you push either does nothing (a few) or toggles the power on the TV. Nothing will change the source input, or the channel.

This happened once mysteriously in the past, but we unplugged the TV and plugged it back in and everything was fine.

Any ideas? Anyone else had this issue? Next Steps?

Bronze Member
Username: Chris0311

Denver, Colorado

Post Number: 11
I would take the front screen off or the back panel to see if one of the connectors to the button assembly were knocked off.

I'm also assuming that you unplugged it already.

Username: Raselkirk

Hope you don't mind me posting here, they closed the other thread.

I have an HLP5663W purchased 03/2005 with a 4 year extended (RepairMaster) in house warranty that is now in effect. My problem is there is no "authorized" service center within 100 miles and RepairMaster is freaking over fixing my set! They are telling me it's my responsibility to have the set fixed and they'll reimburse me for the repairs. If I can find someone to fix it, I'm going to bill them for my time. It's been 2 solid days on the phone and internet looking for a tech, that ought to be worth something!

To the problem: Tuesday night, the set turned itself off. I turned it back on and got a black screen with all 3 LED's blinking which indicates a bulb failure. Bought 2 new bulbs from J&J Int'l (which is Samsung's parts dealer). Tried both new bulbs with the same result. The set powers up, black screen, lamp LED blinking. After 10 -15 seconds the set reboots with all 3 LED's blinking. I don't hear any fan noise whatsoever. My old bulb looks fine and the set's picture quality was never degraded, so I'm thinking there's a problem with the fan or it's cicuitry.

I have somebody coming Monday for a look, he's a retired TV repairman taking odd-jobs on the side. Any ideas what to be looking for? Anywhere to DL a service manual?

Thanks!

Russ

Post Number: 2
Got bored so I pulled the rear panel for a look. Jigged up the cover switch so it stayed engaged. All fans are working, but no bulb... Checked for blown components and found none. Next guess is the ballast board, any way to test it?

Russ

Post Number: 3
Anybody home? Guess everyone else but me has the "3 blinking LED" problem all figured out! OK, anyone interested in buying this lemon? It has 3.8 yrs left on a transferrable 4 yr warranty. Just be sure you have a repair center close by!!!!

Russ

Bronze Member

Denver, Colorado

Post Number: 16
Go to Samsungparts.com and get the tech help number for Samsung. They are by far the best in my opinion for tech help. Technically, you are under the manufacturers warranty so maybe they can help you better than the $hitty warranty company.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 729
You have a defective ballast from what I gather. Having tried two new lamps with no success leaves only the ballast ignition voltage as the suspect. It must create up to 5kv to shock the lamp arc into a plasma state and deliver a pulsing 65v to keep it lit.

Call 1-800-SAMSUNG and explain your remote circumstances. Have them coordinate with the closest RepairMaster service center to ship you a ballast with the understanding that you will return the defective unit. While you shouldn't have to work on your own set it is a viable alternative. They may even convince RepairMaster to make the trip with the threat of dropping them as an authorized agent. Good luck!
Best regards!

Post Number: 4
The repair guy came this morning for a look (he's officially retired, but does all of Circuit City's repair work). He determined that the ballast was receiving input voltage but not outputting anything, so a new ballast has been ordered. Could it be that simple??? We'll see! Should be here by Friday...

No matter what the outcome, I will be calling Samsung back to complain about the RepairMaster deal. I'm not sure they'll like the idea of a (potential) long-term customer being hung out completely on their own. If you have a RepairMaster warranty, better check and see if you have an "authorized service center" close by!

Later!

Russ

Post Number: 5
FIXED! Lucky for us it was the ballast assembly. The next step up the line was the light engine. Repairman said over $700.00 not to mention all the alignment issues and that it would need to be done by a service center (over 100 miles away for me) because of the alignment procedures...

Russ

Username: Thats_entertainment

Santa Rosa, Ca

Need some reccomendations: Bought a Samsung 50" DLP 2 1/2 years ago. Paid $3500. Now, after about an hour, the screen starts flashing. After replacing the bulb, ($225) with no affect, the tech comes out and says it's a bad "Engine Assembly". $1050 to repair. Do I pay the $$ and hope nothing else happens or use the TV as a boat anchor?
I would like to think that today's technology could reduce the likelyhood of a major problem, that costs almost 1/3 of the original purchase price, from happening within the first couple of years. And no, I did not purchase the extended warranty.
Common problem?
Is Samsung junk?

Thanks,
T.E.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 738
Junk? No! New technology? Yes!
Extended warranty? Smart purchase!!!
Preventive maintenance is a must!!!

It was never the lamp, obviously!

First, have you ever taken the back off and used the brushy attachment to a vac hose to clean things up in there? It's a projector with a lamp and DMD Control Module that must operate within certain temp limits. It pulls air and unfortunately, dust through it constantly. There's a fan on each of those components. They need to be clean and spin quickly and quietly. Clean things up and tape the cover safety switch closed. Power up and check them. Don't look at the lamp. It's brighter than the sun. Replace the fans if needed. www.samsungparts.com
If it still heats up and craps out it's the DMD Control Module, not the DMD light engine itself.
There's a Chinese guy on ebay that sells them. He can be found with "samsung lamp" in the search. Not sure on price, but it ain't a grand! The module takes a little setup in the Service Menu, but we can cross that bridge if we get to it.

If all this seems like too much hassle, consider this. Since it's 2.5 years old it's most likely the second generation HL-N or maybe even the first gen HL-M model. Not worth spending over a grand to fix. IMHP They don't cost $3500 any more, either. I'd invest in a 5th gen HL-R5067W for $1230 and this time get the 5 year warranty. Refurbs are fine! Many improvements have been made. They are fine sets. Here's a link.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=7752057&search=hlr5067

Username: Brayski98

I just replace my noisy color wheel on my HLN5065WX, but I probably should have taken it to someone. It was kind of tough putting everything back together correctly. If I have to do it again I'll be smarter about labeling/photos as I'm disassembling. But after everything I have a couple of new small problems. The picture is skewed just a little. It appears to be shining about 1.5 inches high, and about 1 inch to the right. Is there an adjustment for this? It also has about a 1 degree angle left side up. And one other issue is that the remote doesn't work on it anymore. But its the TV becuase I have a Samsung satellite box and the remote for it works on the TV as well, but doesn't now. Suggestions?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 752
Sounds like it didn't quite get back together like it came apart. Check the position of the light engine tray. A small shift makes a big difference. You might want to replace the infrared receiving eye.

Bronze Member

Denver, Colorado

Post Number: 17
There's a possibility it could also be the DMD board. We have found that they come lose when things get taken apart. There are some screws the hold the DMD board in place, I would try to adjust it a little and see if the picture moves at all.

Username: Brayski98

Post Number: 2
I wondered if the 3 screws that have the springs in them change the adjustment at all. The hard part seems to be to turn everything off, take it apart, make a small adjustment and try it again. As far as the remote, since it worked before, I was thinking that maybe a connection came loose when I was moving things around. Where does it IR connect?

Bronze Member

Denver, Colorado

Post Number: 18
Yes, they have springs on them. You can do the adjustments with the back off.

Username: Tbarfield

Looking for a suggestion for my Samsung DLP...

A week ago I replaced the noisy color wheel myself. After putting all back together I found that the bulb either wouldn't light or if it did went out after a short time - leaving me with the three blinking led's. The bulb had 8500 hrs on it.

I purchased a new bulb and installed and all appeared well. Today, after about an hour of usage it went out again - with 3 blinking led's. 15 minutes later I reset the TV (pulled the plug and plugged back in) and turned it back on and everthing now appears fine.

Any ideas on what is going on here? What are the odds the new bulb isn't up to snuff? Should I be looking at something else - like the ballast?

Tom

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 792
I guess you cleaned and checked the fans to make sure they were spinning the same and quietly. A thermal shutdown would occur if the lamp fan isn't 100%. Check all connections. Unplug and re-plug the two wire harnesses for the color wheel. Re-seat the lamp multiple times. After that, the only thing left is the 65v operating current from the ballast. The 5kv striking current is obviously working.

Username: Doc_girl

I have a Samsung HCN4226W rear projection HD TV which is a yr and a half old. Cpl of days ago the color went crazy and has not changed since. It seems like there might be a convergence issue with the red color. the red color drops down kinda like an arc from the top of the screen. Perfect focus function also stalls on the red color. Really desperate here...is this a problem worth fixing or will it end up costing more than the TV itself? Please help!!!!

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 796
A $60 service call will answer your question better than anyone here!

Username: Sillytv

Hi Doc girl
I have the exact same problem, my samsung TV same model as yours and similar age, just had the same colour problem. Very annoying, I called the service centre but they said will cost at least 400 to repair. So I am curious if replacing the HCN4226W Convergence module myself is possible. I kind of got it out of the repair people over the phone that this is the likely problem. Does anyone know if this is something that I could do myself? Or if there are any good websites to tell you how to do it?
Thanks for your help!!

Username: Mattgella

I have a HLR5078WX (purchased in Nov of 2005). I have a vertical line on the far left side of my screen. It's transparent and is only about an inch wide at the top and gets wider, I'd say about 2.5 inches at the bottom. I saw a couple of posts out here about people with similar problems and they were wondering what is causing it. I just found out from the service tech that it's the light tunnel and the engine will need to be replaced. Luckily it's still under warranty as this is $1028 part plus labor. OUCH!!! The sad thing is Samsung just ordered a ton of these and they haven't come in yet. Once they do, they will have to ship the part to the east coast. I've been quoted a wait time of approximately 3 weeks.

So this brings me to my 2nd topic. The extended warranty. I just called Samsung and was quoted $200 for 1 year and $500 for 3 years. Is there an alternative source for extended warranties that anyone can recommend? Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us