Need expert help

Username: Yodapez

Post Number: 1
I am in the market for my first hi-def tv. I was just wanting some advice. I plan on spending around 800 and would like at least a 30" screen. Can anyone steer me in the right direction and tell me what I need to be looking for?

Username: Mspearl

Post Number: 10
Wow. There is no easy answer to that question. If you know what you are going to be hooking up to this tv it will make the decision easier. If you are adding a home theater system, you won't need great sound from the tv. If you are adding a nice dvd player, then you will want to use a HDMI port to connect it to the tv. If you want to play games, you will need a second HDMI port. CRT type tv's are said to have a better quality picture and better reliability, and that is your only option for $800 dollars. The next question becomes weight and depth that you can live with. You need to decide what features you want, such as smart sound or picture-in picture. I suggest you shop around at BEST BUY, or CIRCUIT CITY and ask a lot of questions, and then do more research on the internet. If you then have a specific question, people on here will help you. Good luck.

Username: Pauln213

Corona, CA USA

Post Number: 1
He's right. For $800 you are only going to get a low end CRT rear projection TV. You may be thinking of a smaller LCD type TV (such as the Sharp Aquos series). You will not be happy with this type of display. LCD displays have a "screen door" look to them when displaying video. In other words, you can see the individual pixels making up the image. He is wrong, however, in that you do not need an HDMI port to connect to a nice DVD player, game system etc. Make sure that the TV has either an HDMI, DVI or component video input. More importantly, make sure that the TV is capable of displaying 720p and/or 1080i resolution. Most newer DVD's only output 480p resolution, but if you are interested in getting into HD someday, you will need at least the 720p resolution. HD converter boxes will connect to the TV via either HDMI or a DVI connection. My suggestion...dont buy a piece of crap from Wal Mart or the like. You will ultimately be disappointed. Sometimes you can find a good deal at Costco. Otherwise, look for an open box deal at Best Buy or Circuit City. Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us