Toshiba 56HM195 component question.

Username: Rmoriarty

Post Number: 1
I just bought this tv yesterday and it looks awesome in coax in (from a sat receiver), standard A/V in, and S-Video in. However i bought some component video cables and hooked up a dvd player though component, I get a very strong red shift on the screen and it seems that there is some kind of interlace problem (maybe thats not the right word for it, but you can see horizontal lines , like its pixelated) The red shift is only on component video and with 2 different dvd players. I also hooked up a 3rd dvd player that didnt get any output at all but works with A/V.

Does anyone know if this could be a setting on the tv, or if there is some kind of fix for this before i call toshiba on monday and ask them.

Post Number: 3
sorry for the double post.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 980
robert, were all these DVD players outputting a progressive scan signal? Not that it should make any difference. It certainly looks like there's a problem with the TV as there shouldn't be any setup issues for it to deal with an incoming DVD signal via component. Another long shot is the unlikely possibility of defective cables.

Post Number: 4
I worried about the possibility of it being the cables or the dvd players (they are all pretty old and also pretty cheap ones. i really dont want to spend 25 dollars on another set of cables, i may just try taking them back and seeing if the store will exchange them). I know that at least one of the dvd players is progressive scan. Also the other weird thing is the 3rd dvd player doesnt output anything and its the newest of the bunch.

Would it be the tv if its only on component? and on both sets of jacks in the back you think?

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 981
There may be a setup issue with the third DVD, that is you may have to program it to output the signal through its component outs. It may not be automatic with that unit. While you're checking that out you should make sure its progressive scan is activated.

Nice TV, by the way. :-)

Also, make sure the component cables are connected nice and tight on both ends on all three cables.

Post Number: 5
I just got back from the store , i got new component cables and triple checked they are plugged in good and tight. Still the same problems. I will give that a try on the third dvd player.

Thanks to :-) i got a good deal on it, perhaps that may be the issue. the tv is listed as a $3,199.99 tv on toshiba's tv and at sears where i bought it. But it was one of thier display models so i got it for $1,600. If i have to endure it being fixed right off the bat its still worth the deal i got. and i checked and my lamp is in a serial range that has been extended a year on it from toshiba.

Thanks for the tips on the dvd players. I will go attempt that now :-).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us