TV or Cable Problem? Please Help!

Username: Mfronczak

Post Number: 1
Back in November, I bought a Philips 42" Plasma HDTV. I had WOW (Wide Open West) come out and install their HD DVR and I subscribed to their HD package. Since then, I've noticed three separate problems and I can't determine if it's a problem with the TV or with the cable service:

1) About once a week, I lose the sound when I change a channel, and it won't come back until I change the channel again. I assume this is a cable issue as the TV is tuned to one channel and it never changes.

2) About once every 2 days, the TV loses it's picture. The screen goes black for a few seconds, then it comes back on. During this time, the green LED on the TV that shows it's on never goes off, the TV is not losing power. I think this points to the cable or DVR.

3) About once every 2 months, when the picture goes out it does not come back on. The screen stays blank, though the green LED is on. But, I can't shut the TV off, either through the remote or with the button on the side. If I try, the green LED flashes but the TV stays on. I have to actually unplug the set and plug it back in, then it works fine. This seems to be a problem with the set.

I plan on calling Philips tonight to discuss this with them, but I wanted as much information beforehand so I can get to the bottom of the problem(s). Thanks in advance for any help!

Bronze Member
Username: Ehdmi

Post Number: 47
Sounds like a combination of both actually. Have you tried connecting a DVD player? If you do, do youhave the same issue?

Keith
http://www.eHDMI.com

Username: Mfronczak

Post Number: 2
I have a PS2 hooked up, I've never had any issue while watching a movie or playing a video game (both of which I do quite often). But, that is hooked to a different input source on the TV, I was thinking about flipping the cable with the PS2 and see if I start having problems with DVD's or games.

On Wednesday night, I called the cable company and they had me "reboot" the box - so far, no problems.

Bronze Member
Username: Overthehill

Post Number: 13
If your TV has a built-in ATSC tuner, buy a $15 UHF/VHF antenna and hook it in, try to capture a HDTV channel (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, WB, locals, ...) You can pinpoint if it is the cable or the TV. Cable is well known for having issues with HDTV.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us