Cabling Set-Up Alternatives

Username: Mike_g

Post Number: 1
I am getting ready to upgrade from a standard CRT tv to a wall mounted LCD. In the procees I am moving the TV about 25 feet away from where the other components will remain (receiver, dvd player, Direct TV box etc.) My current set up uses an S-Video connection from the TV to the Direct TV box, and then RCA cables from the TV to the receiver to get stereo sound. I am perfectly happy with the quality of video and audio in this set up, but as I am going to open some walls to pull cables, I want to future proof as much as possibe without adding a lot of expense. Thanks for any advice you can provide on the below:
1) Should I consider upgrading to a "Component Video" Cable? Do I correctly understand that if I do this I would only need single cable running between the TV and the receiver and then all further connections would be distributed from the receiver. Also, I believe I would need to upgrade my receiver to do this - what is the minimum I would need?

2) Should I be looking at an HDMI connection? Would this be a substitute for the component video cable?

3) Since the TV will now be removed from the receiver, I will need the remote control to work from a distance. Do I need to set up an IR repeater, or would either the component video cable or the HDMI cable allow me to simply point my remote at the TV for changing inputs/channels and volume (I don't really care about using the same remote to control the stereo system and am happy to walk 10 feet to do this).

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mike

Bronze Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 49
hello Mike,
I would suggest you consider what you will need with your over-all system.

If you are considering replacing your receiver, then a true A/V receiver which can switch "component cable" would only require one set of component cables from the receiver to the TV, all others from various sources would go to the receiver. Receivers that can switch HDMI inputs are still very expensive, but may be within your budget (they are not in mine 8-{ ).
Component cable connections feed an analog video source to the TV, HDMI cables feed a digital video/audio source to the TV. HDMI may be required at some point in the future if Hollywood has it's way with wild copy protection schemes for digital TV content.

Are you considering over-the-air digital TV reception? Will the TV you purchase have an ATSC digital tuner for local broadcasts in standard definition (SD) digital and high definition (HD) digital TV ? If so, than you will also need a fiber optic audio and/or coaxial audio cable from the TV to the receiver for Dolby audio received by the built in digital tuner in the TV.

While the wall is open, I would recommend two HDMI cables. These carry digital video and audio from sources to the TV. A few high end cable boxes and satelite boxes use HDMI to feed video/audio to the TV. You may not use them now, but it is a small expense to put them in while the wall is open. For runs longer than 15' you will need a high grade HDMI cable. I suggest the www.monoprice.com 22AWG (heavier gauge wire) cables.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231&cs_id=1023101 &p_id=2808&seq=1&format=2&style=

I have had great success using the cables from monoprice.com and you can't beat the price.

And just for grins, put a standard red/white stereo audio cable in the wall. You never know when it just might be necessary for some un-forseen use.

Remotes: as long as your infra-red remotes can "see" the equipment, they should work. If not, some form of radio frequency remote may be needed
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us