What should I buy?

Username: Hatterasdad

Post Number: 1
I have been looking at TVs and I am trying to decide between the Sony KDS-R50XBR1, Samsung HLS5087W or the HLS5086W. Could someone give me some advice?
Thanks!!

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 690
The Sony and the Samsung "S" 5087W are both 1080P displays, meaning 1080 progressively scanned lines of resolution. The Sony is a LCOS technology. (Liquid Crystal On Silicon) It's an advanced form of LCD. The Samsung is a DMD technology. (Digital Micro-Mirror Device) It's all done with light, not chemicals. The Sony display will eventually die, but it could take a very long time, like perhaps 100,000 hours or more. It will likely alter in performance quality before then. The Samsung will take longer to fail. DMD chips have been torture tested in Texas Instruments R & D Labs. Results show it could last 30 years or more before a significant failure occurs. A new lamp will render the Samsung DLP to like new picture quality. You may need an occasional color wheel ($150), but new "air bearing frictionless" color wheels are not failing like previous ones did.

Both have an excellent picture given the same quality of HD signal. It comes down to cost and design preferences. Sony has the speakers on the sides of the display. Samsung has hidden the speakers. Sony is silver. Samsung is black. Sony is a little more expensive than Samsung. Samsung Customer Service is much better than Sony CS during an warranty repair. Samsung has owned up to design flaws and works aggressively to resolve issues and offers their customers replacement sets. Sony has repeatedly denied design flaws and tries to take advantage of their customers with labor costs, offering to only pay for the parts. They never offer to replace a set. I've owned both brands, however, I'm currently a Samsung DLP owner. I must admit that the XBR1 has a sweet picture, though.

Bronze Member
Username: Grimesy

Post Number: 12
How does the sony kdf E60A20 compare to the xbr? I have a mits 62 inch now and i thought the LCd picture was way better! the sony LCD kdf E60 A20 was what i was leaning towards? Does anyone have a recommondation?

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 695
It's a regular LCD, not an LCOS like the SXRD.
Also, those LCD displays have been failing.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/137540.html

Bronze Member
Username: Grimesy

Post Number: 13
the one i am looking to get is a kdf e60 a20, also i am not sure what the difference is between lcd and lcos and sxrd. The dlp mits 62525 is pretty good but i was told and from looking at picture, the lcd looks better.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us