HDTV Myths and Questions Answered

Brian Mitchell
HDTV Myths and Questions Answered

With more and more high definition content becoming available every day, is it time to invest in HDTV? Let's define HDTV -- the acronym for High Definition Television. In it's simplest explanation it is lifelike picture and sound that surpasses DVD quality. Most people are amazed when they see HDTV for the first time. Common reactions include: I want that. How much is it? Is it available now? Yes, HDTV is here! Unfortunately it's not as simple as it needs to be yet.

Yes, HDTV is available now! HDTV programming is available via three broadcast formats -- over the air via antenna for local channels, cable, and satellite. Digital broadcasting is just one hurdle being overcome. First a show must be recorded in HD format using HD cameras and equipment. Then it must be distributed digitally over the air, cable, or satellite. Now we are half way there. You need an antenna or satellite dish to receive HDTV signals in your home. Upgraded cable systems will eventually provide HDTV signals to your home. Finally you need a HDTV-compatible TV with a HDTV tuner/receiver which decodes the digital signal. Now you can sit back and enjoy HDTV!

There is still much consumer confusion about HDTV. You can find the answers to many common questions, rumors and myths about HDTV below.

What about 2006?
The FCC has mandated all local stations be digitally broadcast by 2006.

I heard rumors my TV could stop working?
Very doubtful. Your TV will still play all of the DVDs, VHS movies and games you own. Second, a new device or box could convert HDTV to standard TV. Backward compatibility will likely exist for many years.

Do I need to be concerned about HDTV resolution?
Yes and No. Just remember HDTV is either 720 or 1080 lines of resolution.

What does 720p and 1080i mean? Does it matter?
Both formats are considered HDTV standards. 720p (720 progressive) displays 720 lines 30 times a second. 1080i (1080 interlaced) displays every other line 30 times a second.

Is HDTV recordable?
Yes. HDTV recording is currently only available with a D-VHS High Definition VCR.

Is TiVo, ReplayTV compatible with HDTV?
Not yet, but newer models are expected to be able to record and time shift HDTV later this year.

What is a broadcast flag?
The broadcast flag is a code embedded in a HDTV program that prevents unauthorized redistribution and piracy.

Is HDTV being broadcast now?
Yes. Most of the CBS prime time line-up is being broadcast in HDTV. ABC also has many prime time shows in HDTV. NBC has a handful of HDTV shows. HBO and Showtime have one HD channel each. HDNet shows HDTV all day. Discovery Channel has a new HD channel, and ESPN is launching ESPN-HD on March 30, 2003. Also special sporting events and shows are in HDTV. There is a lot to see in high definition now, with more shows and channels being announced often.

How do I find what local HDTV stations are available in my area?
Enter your zip code at http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.asp

Can I use any antenna to receive HDTV?
Any UHF antenna can receive HDTV signals. Most HD stations are broadcast in the UHF range, channels 14-83.

Can I just connect an antenna to my regular TV to receive HDTV?
No. It will not work. A regular TV does not have the resolution to display a HDTV picture. A digital signal is not understood by analog TVs.

Can I just connect an antenna to my HDTV-compatible Television to receive HDTV?
No. It will not work. A HDTV tuner is required to be connected between the TV and the antenna.

Can I just connect an antenna to my Integrated HDTV Television to receive HDTV?
Yes! The HDTV tuner is built into these HDTVs. A simple antenna connection will work.

Is HDTV quality better with satellite, cable or an antenna?
HDTV quality is the same using cable, satellite, or over the air with an antenna.

What is 16:9?
16:9 means widescreen. 16 by 9 is the aspect ratio of HDTV, which provides a movie-like wide picture. Standard TV is called 4:3 which shows an almost square picture.

What is Analog TV?
Analog TV's are the standard definition televisions we have used for 50 years.

What is a Digital TV?
A digital TV is a very broad term. It usually means improved picture quality and sound over analog TVs. It may also mean a TV is compatible with digital broadcasts from satellite or cable.

Does Digital TV mean HDTV-compatible?
No.

What is SDTV?
The acronym for Standard Definition Television. It is the old standard broadcast of a 4:3 picture, and has the lowest display resolution.

What is EDTV?
The acronym for Enhanced Definition Television. It is better than standard TV, but not as good as HDTV. It can be widescreen 16:9 or 4:3.

Is DTV the same as HDTV?
No. DTV is a general term for digital TV. It can mean a signal is broadcast or received digitally. HDTV is one type of DTV transmission. Satellite signals are all digital. Cable TV can be digital or analog. DTV improves picture and sound over analog signals. HDTV offers the highest resolution picture and sound.

Does Cable-ready mean the same as HDTV-ready?
No. Cable-ready just means a TV has the necessary inputs to be connected to most cable or satellite systems.

Is digital cable the same as HDTV?
No. Digital cable is an improvement of picture and sound quality over regular (analog) cable, but it is not high definition.

What other terms mean HDTV quality?
HDTV is also called HD, High-Def, or high definition TV. 720p or 1080i are the display resolutions which correspond to HDTV.

Are all HDTV programs in widescreen?
Yes.

Are all HDTV sets widescreen?
Not yet, but most are.

Can I view non-HDTV programs on a HDTV?
Yes. Picture quality will not be as good. Black or gray bars may appear on the left and right side of your picture to frame the image to a 4:3 size.

Can I view VHS movies on a HDTV?
Yes. Since most VHS movies are not widescreen, black or gray bars will appear around the 4:3 picture.

Can I view DVDs on a HDTV?
Yes. DVDs look best when viewed on a HDTV-compatible TV.

Are there any high definition DVDs?
Not yet. But the technology is rapidly advancing.

Can I view HDTV content on a regular SDTV?
Yes, but why would you? All HDTV tuners to my knowledge have analog video outputs to connect to regular TVs. Your picture will not be HDTV quality and is limited to display resolution of your TV set. Also black bars may appear above and below the picture, or the picture may appear squeezed.

I have noticed people look extra fat on widescreen TVs. Why is that?
The TV aspect ratio is improperly set. Every widescreen TV has an aspect ratio control, which can digitally stretch a 4:3 image to fill a 16:9 screen. A 4:3 image is properly viewed on a 16:9 widescreen TV with black or gray bars on the sides.

Do I have to fiddle with a switch or wires when changing from satellite to antenna signals?
No. The HDTV tuner will automatically detect a HDTV station as being received via antenna or satellite. Once it's hooked up properly you can seamlessly use the remote to change channels.

Where can I find HDTV channel listings?
Follow this link: http://www.titantv.com/ttv/home/HDTVUpdate.aspx

What is the difference between HD-ready, HD-compatible, HDTV Display, or HDTV Monitor?
Each term means the exact the same thing! All mean a TV can display HDTV pictures, but an external HDTV tuner is required to decode over the air, satellite or cable signals.

What does HDTV Integrated or Integrated HDTV mean?
Each term means a HDTV tuner is built into the TV. It does not specify what type of HDTV tuner, but most are capable of receiving over the air HD signals, and some can receive DirecTV signals. It basically means an additional set-top HDTV tuner is not needed. This type of TV is usually more expensive, but it is easier to hook up.

How much does a HDTV tuner cost?
Prices currently range from $300 for an over the air only tuner, to $1000 for satellite/OTA combo receiver.

What is a HDTV set-top box?
A HDTV set-top box is another name for a HDTV tuner. A HDTV tuner can also be referred to as a HDTV receiver or HDTV converter. A HDTV tuner is required to receive and decode HDTV (digital) signals.

What is OTA?
It is an acronym for Over The Air, which refers to over the air antenna reception.

Does HDTV programming cost more?
Currently there are no additional charges to receive HDTV programming via cable or satellite. Standard subscription and premium channels prices include HDTV channels at this time. Over the air HDTV is free.

What do you need to receive HDTV programming from DirecTV?
DirecTV has two special requirements. You need a 18"x24" oval satellite dish with dual or triple LNBs. Then you need a DirecTV/HDTV Tuner connected to a HD-compatible TV.

Where can I find current DirecTV HDTV information?
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/imagine/HDTV.jsp

What do I need to receive DishNetwork programming in HDTV?
DishNetwork requires a two satellite dishes to be installed and an Echostar/HDTV Receiver.

Where can I find current DishNetwork HDTV information?
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/hdtv/index.shtml

Which is better, DirecTV or DishNetwork?
There is a slight variation in programming choices and prices. Choose the best programming package to meet your needs. Picture quality is identical.

Where can I find Time Warner Cable HDTV information?
http://www.timewarnercable.com/dispatcher/customerCare?docNickName=custHDTV

Where can I find Comcast Cable HDTV information?
http://www.comcast.com/support/corp1/faq/faq2_130_0.html

Where can I find Cox Cable HDTV information?
http://www.cox.com/Service/

Can I get HDTV on my cable system?
You must check with your local cable provider. A new HDTV set-top cable box will most likely be required or supplied by your cable company. Costs vary.

How do I connect my HDTV tuner to my TV to get a HDTV picture?
Use ONE of these connection methods.
  • Component Video Cable (Y-Pb-Pr)
  • 15-pin VGA (RGB) Cable
  • DVI Cable
Can I use a yellow composite video RCA cable or S-video cable to get a HDTV picture?
NO! These video cables may still work, but they are not capable of transmitting optimal HDTV signals.

Is HDTV broadcast in 5.1 surround sound?
Some programs are, but not all. The HDTV standard can include a 5.1 audio signal. Additional speakers and a surround sound decoder/receiver are required.

Are HDTVs expensive?
Prices currently start around $1000 and go up. Prices are dropping every year.

Can the government make my HDTV stop working?
It is highly unlikely in my opinion, but remotely possible if new government laws are suddenly adopted.

Where can I find US government information on HDTV?
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/policy/dtv/

Where can I find more information and articles on HDTV?
https://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Home_Video/TV/TV_Articles/

Brian Mitchell
Founder & CEO
eCoustics.com

Anonymous
Nice article Brain. Here is another good one that discusses many of the technical problems with HDTV's.

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/SonyTVissue.html

Dean Wette
What does 720p and 1080i mean? Does it matter?
720p (720 progressive) displays 720 lines 30 times a second.

This is not quite correct. 720P displays 720 lines 60 times a second. It's why some (including ABC) consider 720P better quality than 1080i.

Anonymous
Can I view non-HDTV programs(or VHS cassettes or any other 4:3s) on a HDTV as normal, if my HDTV is NOT wide screen?

Derek
Yes.

I just got the Panasonic 30" Widescreen HDTV and I had a couple questions... I have Comcast Digital Cable (they're coming out next week to upgrade our digital cable box to an HD one). The problem is that analog cable looks terrible. Is that normal? Digital cable channels look better but still not great. I also have a progressive scan dvd player that is hooked up to the tv with component video cables but dvds still seem to look somewhat "fuzzy". I've tried all sorts of things and messed arond with the tv settings a lot but nothing seems to help. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Josh-
there is a variety of possible problems you could be getting. While many people do complain about analog channels on their new HDTVs cable sometimes compounds the issue with bad wiring. While they are out there have your cable company check the signal strength getting to your tv, it could be sub-standard. As far as the DVD player goes, it should look tack sharp. Make sure you have the DVD player set to progressive and that the cables are good quality.

Dave Henderson
Great HDTV FAQ.

FYI, there is now a 20"x18", triple LNB dish that you can use to receive HDTV with DirecTV.

Great FAQ!

Unfortunately, the Customer Service of 2 satellite Co. and Comcast does not now a thing about resolution and other stuff. When I asked Directv how about purchasing Satellite package without the HD tuner for my full HDTV 65" Mitsubisi - they were puzzled; and got completely confused with my question "What resolution do you transmit your HD programs?". My Mitsubisi "understands" 480p and 1080i only. Who do I talk at a higher level there?
Gene S., Electronics Engineer.

Anonymous
I have a zenith directv hd receiver and would like to connect it to two different hd tv's using component cables,so that I can see hd on either one of them.How can I do this?It sounds easy but,I can't get any decent info on the subject either from Zenith or for that matter anyone else.Any help would be appreciated.

edjones
This is a great FAQ! I just bought a Sony 46" widescreen HDTV monitor (kp46wt500). As of right now, I have basic cable, and my only dvd player is my PS2. I'm planning on getting digital cable (through TimeWarner), and they told me that the digital box that they'll give me will also allow me to get certain channels in HD. I've also heard that component cables, as opposed to the composite cables the PS2 came with, will make the PS2 work better with the HDTV (games and DVDs). Is this true? Can I expect a big difference between the cables? What settings are best for the PS2? What about the TV, for basic cable and/or PS2? (there is an option: interlaced, progressive, or cinemotion). The basic cable picture kind of sucks. Will digital cable give me a better picture? Will the box come with component cables?
And how will the HDTV work? If one box gives me the digital cable AND the HDTV, will those channels just automatically be in HD?

Thanks!

i have an sony WEGA 24 INCH AND I WANT TO BUY A HDTV TUNER BOX with a tv-55 terk outdoor antenna. WILL I GET DVD QUALITY PICTURES WHEN RECEIVING OFF THE AIR HDTV PROGRAMING

Ben
I'm looking into buying a new tv for my home entertainment system. What is the difference between front and rear projection, and what are the advantages in them? What tv would you recommend for a home theatre if price is not an issue? Thanks for the help.

Anonymous
Great FAQ! Small nit.

Yes.

Technically correct, but some HDTV programs are broadcast with the gray (or black) bars, resulting in a 4:3 image within a widescreen wrapper.

I recently got comcast digital cable with HDTV programming. I have a 32 inch 4/3 Hitachi HDTV. Of the four HDTV stations concast delivers- two of them - KQED (and one other whose call letters I can't recall)- are displayed by my 4/3 screen in expected letter box form. However on the other two channels - ABC and I believe CBS - I get bars on all four sides of the screen (i.e both letter boxed and window boxed) which in essance is being diplayed in 4/3 format but just shrinking the former 32 inch screen down to around a 25-26 inch screen. Why is this and how can I fix it.

Derek
I just got my hands on an RCA DTC-100 and I noticed the same thing on some of the channels. It was kind of funny actually. Here's why it happens though...

I have a Proscan (RCA) 4:3 big screen. Somewhere in the DCT-100 menu (and probably in your cable receiver) there is an option to show HD info in 16:9 or 4:3. The 4:3 setting will cause the bars at the top and bottom for wide screen pictures for widescreen date. The top two (True) HDTV resolutions are widescreen only.

Now, some TV station simply upconvert their regular 480i info to HD, but because the original picture was 4:3 THEY ADD BARS TO THE SIDES so that the picture doesn't look squashed. It would be better if they simply sent you a 4:3 480P signal, but they don't.

You may be able to get around this by trying various combinations of "fill" and aspect ratio in your TV and cable box.

Hope this helps.

Bill smitton
I have a 36" HDTV Sony flatscreen T.V. When I change my T.V. to HD, I have a 4" black box around my T.V. screen. So, I'm only getting a small picture instead of full screen. I've had the cable company out and they can't figure it out either. I've tried changing many settings on my T.V. Any suggestions?

Bill

Derek
See my previous post.

I just recently purchase a hdtv satellite.I also hooked up a TERK55 antenna to be able to get the local high defenition programs.Everything works fine except the local channels.I bought two diplexir(one indoor and the other for outdoor) and hooked them up according to their instructions. But the local HD programing comes in better with out the TERK55 antenna. Is there a better antenna or just something i'm missing?

we have a 13 inch tv in the kitchen hooked up to cable. After 2006 does that mean that this tv will no longer be able to accept cable signals (or any tv signal) without a $300 convertor???

Marie,

As mentioned by the origonal poster, "Backward compatibility will likely exist for many years" for that and other sets.

However, lets be reasonable in the event that it doesn't work one day LONG down the road. What are out of pocket? Use the 13" set to hold the door open while you bring in the new one!

Peace,

Tim

Does HDTV Compatible infer that a 16:9 aspect ration image will be PROPERLY displayed?

Anonymous
I just upgraded my directv system to a High Def Directv system. I get ESPNHD, HBOH, DiscoveryHD and HDNet all transmitting high definition picture.

Now, Correct me where I'm wrong.

I pay for my local channels in LA. When I watch a program that says "Broadcast in HD where available" high def program on ABC, or CBS, am I actually getting it in High Def, or do I need an antenna that attaches to the dish? It may seem funny of me to ask, but when you watch such a high quality picture all the time, it becomes hard to tell when it isn't in high definition. I also pay for the NFL Sunday ticket, which 1 game a week is a CBS high def game on a separate channel. If I flip back and forth between the high def game and the regular signal, I can certainly see the difference.

So my question is, am i receiving all broadcasts, that say their in Hi Definition, in High Definition?

Derek
You need an antenna connected to your receiver to see local channels in Hi-Def. The good news is, they're free (the channels not the antenna).

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Thanks Derek.

One follow up question: With DirecTv, my local channels (that I pay for right now) are digital quality. If I switch to the antena, will I lose signal quality when I'm watching a show that isn't broadcast in High-Def?

Thanks again for you prompt response.

Derek
No the picture will actually improve significantly provided 1). You can pull in a clean signal and 2). There is a digital equivelent to your analog channels. DirecTVs' horizontal resolution is only 430. DTV has a minimum of 640. 1280 and 1920 are more typical.

I have an RCA DTC-100 HDirecTV receiver and dropped by pay-for-local channels in favor of the Hi-Def [free] versions. There actually are more channels.

Cam Thomson
What is the diference between HD compatible and HD Ready?

Derek
Nothing.

Cory
I have a 53 in Panasonic Wide Screen HDTV. I like the TV but when I watch Direct TV channels its kind of fuzzy and its really fuzzy when I watch VHS videos. My friend is constantly telling me its fuzzy and giving me a hardtime. The circuit city tv tech has made adjustments to the convergance but never said anything about the fuzziness of the picture. I heard cables make a difference but can you advise me what I need to do from this point.

Derek
First your television probably has the ability to show 1000 to 1300 lines of resolution. DirecTV is 450 and VHS is 240. That's part of the problem. How do DVDs look? If they look sharp, then your TV is showing you what you are feeding it. Also, I hope you aren't watching these two on channel 3. Use S-Video or Component video if available. You could also simply turn the sharpness up.

Hope this helps.

happybutconfused
got an rca hdtv and an hdtv dish net 6000 receiver with atsc tunerpack and a rca dvd/vcr combo. with video out of the dvd/vcr to the tv the picture looked bad i changed out the cables and it looked the same. dish network looked better in hd mode even on non hd dish channels so i hooked up dvd/vcr ch3 out to the tunerpack and tuned the 6000 to channel 3 and dvd and vcr looked much sharper,less flicker and giter. my dvd/vcr is in the program guide now and i stay on one input on the tv. works great . is this a normal hookup? or is this the twilight zone of hdtv. im happy it is working good but i dont understand why..

Cox says I have to have a Cox Compatable tuner (from a participating local retailer) and my HDTV monitor must have YPbPr component input. (1) Is the YPbPR the same as the A/V RCA connections (Yellow/White/Red)? (2) Anyone know where I can find a "participating local retailer"?

NewHitachi
No, its not the same as the usual RCA connections which are yellow = standard composite video, with white and red being stereo audio.

The YPbPr component input is different in that it has three, color-coded, video dedicated outputs/inputs. Audio would be either a pair of RCA's or, better yet, an optical/coax connection to your TV or home theater amplifier.

The order of quality for video connections goes, (starting with best}:

DVI - All digital path in theory
Component - Color-coded YPbPr three cable
S-video - single, multi-pin cable
Composite - Standard RCA yellow connection

While DVI is "considered" optimal at this stage, I have not heard anything earth shaking about it, versus Component. That is, ss far as significant quality improvements in PQ ... YMMV though.

So, if your set has Component, you should be fine for now. There are only two DVD players with DVI and as far as satellite/cable goes, the newer, (or future) boxes may just be starting to include DVI.

The ever expanding types of connections can be confusing, expensive, and a big pain, especially when you have several devices, new and old, involved. The good side is that the quality and bandwidth is improving for better pictures with fatter signals.

Good luck!

Anonymous
I just bought an Panasonic CT-32HX42 32 inch Tau HDTV-ready TV for close to $1,000 and I was wondering if I still need to buy a $300 HDTV reciver or is that built in to the set?

Anonymous,

As mentioned in your sets manual & in the discription of what HDTV is to your set ("HDTV-Ready") it requires a settop digital HD decoder.

"Digital TV - Set-Top Box (DTV-STB) or DVD Connection

This television is capable of displaying 1080i and 480p DTV signals when connected to a DTV Tuner set-top-box (STB). In order to view DTV programming, the STB must be connected to the component video inputs (Y, PB, PR) of the television. A DTV signal must be available in your area. Select the output of the STB to either 1080i or 480p."

In the event that your set DID come with a HD decoder, it would have required the use of a service provider that utilized that technology anyway. A great many people are buying these sets not knowing that the decoder built into those sets are not the technology they need anyway. Thus, it was a waste of money. Thereby, the buying of sets that are "HDTV-Ready" only sets are the wisest purchase.

Find out what requirement/technology you need to broadcast HD in your area (OTA, Cable, Satalite?) and go from there.

Good luck,

Timba

David Henry
I have an HDTV-ready Sony KP46WT500 and am now receiving HDTV through a Time Warner cable box, which provides local channels in HDTV along with some HDTV cable channels. If I change to Directv high-def, and drop Time Warner, will I need an over-the-air converter to display local over-the-air high-def channels, or does the directv high-def receiver convert both satellite and over-the-air (provided I have an adequale over-the-air antenna). Thank you.

Jon Stokey
Thank you very much for this valuable information. You certainly can't trust anything the sales people tell you.

Bunyip
I am in Australia and bought a Sony 92cm HD CRT
tv 2 years ago, together with a DGTEC HD set top box. After being unsuccessful at taping digital programmes, I thought that the unit was faulty, but after finally phoning DGTEC , was told that the output to tape ( moving a switch on back of unit- that resulted in loss of signal to tv!) was ANALOGUE!! I was quite pissed off about this. Further attempted investigation led to a variety of differing answers- including one that said it was impossible to get a digital output (due to copyright issues) to tape. Well, now that DVD recorders are available is it possible to achieve? Does the Panasonic QTR 2140, for example, have a digital output to copy?? It is quite frustrating at not being able to preserve the original picture qulity , or close to it.
Over here, broadcast analogue tv is about 350 lines of definition(LOD) I am told, VCR -250 lod, super VHS 350-400 lod+ SD digital 500 lod, and DVD 550 lod. So having dvd quality 550 lod, compared to 250-400 lod would be great, even if it is not 720 lod for HDTV. HELP..............
(Sorry about length of this question)

Bradley Smith
What is the difference LCD Projection TV's and DLP Projection TV's? Which type came along first?
Is one really better than the other?

Does anybody know when Directv will have more HD channels out? I can't get enough HD. The people from Directv offer no info.
Thanks
SeanO

Pho
Unregistered guest
Using a Sony KP-46WT500 w/ Mototola HDTV Converter Box DCT5100 w/ component out. Signals coming in from Comcast Digital Cable w/ HD broadcast.

HDTV kicks butt! But...there isn't enough good broadcasting yet. I find that if I want to show off its stunning capabilities, I have to put it on KCET public broadcasting channel, or wait for some sports programming on ABC. Most of the other so-called Hi Def shows, are no better looking than my Progressive scan DVD.

I need more HDTV NOW! Hurry up you lousy stations out there making billions of dollars! Get with it.

Okay I vented.

Username: Chimp

Post Number: 4
What is the difference between a tv with progressive scan and one with component inputs,are they the same?

I want to upgrade my TV soon as the one i have only has s-vhs inputs and rca inputs.My DVD player has component outputs so i know i'll need a tv with component inputs.I want to connect my Gamecube using component leads enabling progressive scan onto a compatible tv,i'm just wondering what type the compatible tv would be.

Unregistered guest

As noted in an earlier post, in response to a question whether all HDTV programs are in widescreen, the answer was yes, but some HDTV programs are broadcast with the gray (or black) bars, resulting in a 4:3 image within a widescreen wrapper. Does this mean that there is no risk of burning the screen (uneven aging of the phosphors)?

Unregistered guest
HDTV through DirecTV

DirecTV says you're supposed to need their elliptical dish to get their HDTV signal, but they also say if you can view their logo on channel 99, then you don't have to do anything. I don't have the elliptical dish, but I can see their logo on channel 99. So which is the correct answer?

Unregistered guest
Does quality of coax interconnects make much difference?

Given that the quality of the coax that a DirecTV installer uses from the dish to the wall outlet is whatever it is, does it make any real difference in picture quality if higher quality coax interconnects are used between wall and HDTV receiver, HDTV receiver and TV, wall and VCR, or VCR and TV?

Laura
Unregistered guest
Hey guys. My name is Laura and I am a DISH Network employee. I wanted to let you know that DISH is now offering two new HDTV receivers that ya'll might be interested in - the 811 and the 921. The 921 is a digital video recorder (like TiVo but with a much larger hard drive and thus more recording space at higher quality) that is also a top of the line HD receiver. It's brand new and hasn't even been advertised yet, but rumor has it that it will go for about a grand being that it will be the first of it's kind. The 811 is a single tuner HDTV reciever that will eventually replace the 6000u model. We're selling it for $199, but giving it away to new customers under promotions where they can get it for free. DISH offers the same HD package as DirecTv but for a dollar cheaper - 9.99 as opposed to 10.99. So obviously DISH is offering really good deals right now.

The second thing DISHNetwork now offers is the "HDTV In A Box" promotion for new and existing customers. It's basically a deal where you can get either a 24" or 40" HD moniter and an 811 receiver for under a lil under a grand. DISH is really working hard right now to beat out all the other companies in not only technology but price as well. Trust me, I sell this stuff everyday. :-)

Laura
Unregistered guest
I also wanted to add that both the aforementioned receivers have optical outputs so if you have a home entertainment system, it would be compatible. We also launched a new satellite in orbital location 105, so DISH has a new satellite antenna called the "SUPERDish" that will pick up 3 locations now instead of two. The relevance of this to HDTV is that a large portion of the 105 orbital location plans to be dedicated to high definition programming. So you can probably expect this company to offer you more programming in high definition than anyone else will. We'll have to wait and see.

Username: Hoochiman

Post Number: 1
I am currently in the process of shopping for a new TV and am considering my HD-ready options. I have singled out DLP and LCD as my prime candidates, with plasma a far third due to its high price and burn-in risk that makes it too prohibitive. Here's my situation: I don't necessarily NEED HD right now. I watch DirecTV on a 36" Sony Trinitron from 3 years ago, and I still love it. I don't even see a huge need to use my S-video cable. Granted, it's not an HD picture, but it all still looks great. My question is whether a DirecTV signal (non HD) will still look better on an LCD or DLP. I know that digital satellite doesn't take full advantage of the TV's true HD capabilities, but I'm wondering if I will still get a marked improvement with one of these TVs using my current system/signal. For example, I understand that the Samsung DLP upconverts everything to 720. Is this correct? IF it is correct, then that means that even my current DirecTV signal will look better, no?

Second part...
I'm not against buying the HD receiver now, either. Heck, I even have the oval triple-LNB dish required to get HD/DirecTV signals. It seems that all I need to get HDTV is a HD-ready TV and the set-top HD receiver. Fortunately, I live in a market where the local channels (A) are supplied by DirecTV and do not require a separate antenna, and (B) available OTA in HD with the appropriate antenna.
Taking this into account, if I get the HD-ready TV, HD antenna and HD receiver, will I then get my local channels in HD on the same old DirecTV channels? Or is some additional switching necessary to surf and still view my local channels in HD?

Much thanks in advance for your reply!
And thanks to anyone that read my question to this point! :-) Whew...

Unregistered guest
My Daughters friend has putt her hand prints on the T.v. And we can't seem to get them off! Please Help Me....Also twice today the screen got really small then turned off on us.. Then the red light on the power light started blinking but you couldn't do anything until unplugging it...... I'm scared to turn it back on!!!

Username: Gambit

Post Number: 6
What does a tv need to have or do to be a true HDTV? Isn't it like be able to do 480p, 720p, 1080i, and have a 16:9 aspect ratio? Is there a certain pixel resolution that also becomes a factor?

Stephen_Ri
Unregistered guest
To be a true HDTV, it must be able to get HD signals off the air. What we generally call HDTV's are just monitors that have the capability of accepting one of the two HD standards and displaying them in some way. None can display full resolution HD at this point, but generally if it's an HD monitor it can display a pretty clear image. The more you want to pay, the closer to full HD you get. Now some PC monitors and projectors can display full res and are even working on 1080p, but none of these have a tuner. Wheather or not the tv is 16:9 is not relevant, just as long as it'll display the 16: image.

Mark Ozark
Unregistered guest
I am in the process of ordering a Hitachi 50V500 LCD HD Monitor. When checking into my Home theater system. (Pioneer) I noticed that it is not a progressive scan DVD. Unfortunately, the appealing reason for buying the Pioneer was that it has a 5 disc tray integrated into an AM/FM Receiver. Now I may wish the player was separate. What can I expect as far as the quality without the progressive scan DVD player?

Unregistered guest
Brian,
Thanks for the illuminating post. You've partially answered one of my questions about HD programming. The stunning clarity evident in some live sports programming broadcast on ESPN HD, such as NHL hockey games and NBA broadcasts is NOT present in many othersn such as college basketball games. I presume that the college games, although designated in the program guide as "HD", are captured on sdtv cameras and "upconverted" resulting in a pretty unimpressive picture quality. Since, contrary to the information in your original treatise, there is an extra cost to receive HD programming on Directv, this seems to raise an issue of "truth in advertising". Seems reasonable that programming that is not true HD should not be billed as HDTV, especially when there is an additional cost to receive the programming.

This brings me to my second question regarding HD "movie" channels, such as HDNet. Where movies are concerned, what is the "source" material, and is it truly HD? If the original source is a 35mm film, for instance, how would it be converted to digital HD resolution? If currently available DVD media are used, the best resolution possible woudl be ED. Again, when we buy a programming service billed as HDTV, are we really getting HD? It appers to me that we aren't. If a percentage of the content broadcast on a sattellite "HD" channel is not true HD, but upconverted from an inferior resolution, it should be advertised as such.

Thanks

Simon Blackwell
Unregistered guest
Mark, I can tell you that on a sony hs500 I cannot tell the difference if progressive is on or not. Many of these hdtv's scale the picture just as good as a ps dvd (unless the dvd player is really good and expensive).

Unregistered guest
I am considering buying and RCA Scenium TV that has an integrated ATSC tuner with QAM. I am also a DishNetwork customer. Question: Do I need a separate Echostrat/Dish HD receiver to get Dish HD programming or the integrated tuner does the trick? If I connect antenna to my dish receiver, can i get OTA HD channels? If not, does it really pay to get TVs with integrated tuners if you are satellite customer? Thanks

Anonymous

You need a Dishnetwork HD receiver (and HD programming) to get HD from your dish. Currently, they have 3 models, 6000, 811 and 921. The 921, with a MSRP of $999, is impossible to get. The 811, with an MSRP of $399, is in back order. The 6000 is the oldest model for $499.
I think it is still a good buy on integrated (true) HDTV because satellite companies don't carry your local network HD and integrated HDTV usually is only about $50 to $100 more than its monitor counterpart. Much cheaper than a standalone receiver. All you need is an antenna and you get free HD right away.

Anonymous

I am looking at televisions with built-in hdtv tuners. I use only antenna, not cable or dish. My question is: will I receive the HDTV signal on the TV if I connect the antenna to my regular old VCR as I think is necessary for it to record? I don't care about recording the HDTV signal, I just want to know if I will be able to see it on the TV when it is broadcast if I connect the antenna to the VCR.
Thanks for your help.

Anonymous

Integrated HDTV should have an antenna hook-up for regular NTSC signal and a separate antenna hook-up for HD (ATSC) signal. You can still route the NTSC antenna to your VCR first and then to your TV NTSC-in and see all the SD programs. Connect the ATSC input directly to the antenna (unless you are using a HD-VCR).

Unregistered guest
I understand that some Sony KP-series rear projection televisions experience "burn-in" after extended viewing of programs with fixed logos. I also understand that Sony has refused to apply the warranty to this defect. If you have experienced burn-in on your Sony product, I would be very interested in speaking to you -- especially if you are from CANADA. You can email me at dimitri001@rogers.com.

Anonymous

As far as I know, no TV manufacturer would cover the burn-in problem in its warranty. It is not considered to be a defect.

Bronze Member
Username: Avman

Kansas City, MO US

Post Number: 25
All projection tvs have a warning label on the back or on the box, that state.

static none moving images can cause burn in and this is not covered buy your limited warranty.

sorry to say theres no way out of this, you most likely will just have to deal with it.

sorry and good luck.

Anonymous

>Every widescreen TV has an aspect ratio control, which can digitally stretch a 4:3 image to fill a 16:9 screen.

This is incorrect. Not all HDTVs allow changing the aspect ratio of an HD Signal. I have a Philips 34" Widescreen HDTV. You can only change/zoom the picture of a standard signal. Once the TV kicks into 480p or 1080i mode, the picture is locked to full widescreen and there is absolutely nothing that can be done to the picture. So when NBC broadcasts a 4:3 show in 1080i and stretches the picture you have to either deal with the 'fat people' phenomenon or watch the hurting analog signal channel. In my area, Anne Arundel County, MD, CBS and ABC pillarbox all of thier 4:3 programming, which I am greatly appreciative of. NBC, however, stretches all their 4:3 programming, which makes the HD much less desirable to look at.

Unregistered guest
I have an HD cable box from Comcast and am enjoying the HD broadcasts on my plasma. However, many of the shows I watch are on our local CBS station (Kiro 7) who are currently in dispute with Comcast. Basically, it's the only network channel not available in HD.

I'd like to get this channel "over the air" using an antenna.

My question is this:
How do I hook up an antenna in conjunction with my HD cable box to receive this channel. Does the antenna hookup go into the cable box itself? I haven't a clue how it works, haven't tried it, just heard about it.

Any detailed info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Unregistered guest
Does anyone else find objectionable the noise made by the fans used in DLP TVs? Two weeks ago we bought a Samsung HLN507W set and have really enjoyed the bright, beautiful images it produces; however, during quiet scenes the noise made by the fan/s is so loud as to prevent us from enjoying the wonderful pictures this set is capable of producing. The Samsung people say that all DLP sets use fans to prevent damage to components inside the set that operate at high temperatures. Since we are unable to accept the constant noise made by the cooling fan, we plan to return our set to Circuit City for a refund. Does anyone know if there any large screen HDTVs other than plasma that are capable of producing bright beautiful pictures without high background noise levels? Do LCD televisions use fans too? The way things look now we are being forced into buying another old-fashioned CRT television set.

j john
Unregistered guest
Will,
The Sony LCDs are exceptionally quiet. The only time I can hear the fan is after I turn the set off when I'm about a foot away from it.
My homes central heating/AC is louder than the set is.

Bronze Member
Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 44
not all projection tv's have that warning on
the back. The burn-in warning.
also not all HD is created equal, just cause the tv
station says its in HD the quality can leave
alot to be desired. I'm talking about the networks
abc, cbs, fox. The true HD is INHD, Discovery HD
theater, HDNET, and KCET HD (california). and most of the movies on Showtime and HBO HD. my 2 ct.

Unregistered guest
I was considering the Hitachi 50V500 LCD HD Monitor, because the Salesman at Circut City told me that since the format of the Hitachi was at 1080p lines, the picture would be much better than the others in this catagory with 720p & 1080i capibility.

I told him I thought the format recieved depends on how it's broadcast and I don't think anything is being broadcast now at 1080p for this LCD HDTV to take advantage of that, but he told me I was wrong.

Who's right?
Kathy D.

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 52
dont want to dog salesmen but he is wrong.
He has the Hitachi TV's confused. There is
a 57" LCos 1080p TV. But no channels transmit
1080p. Eventually there may be 1080p DVD's.

Unregistered guest
How do I hook up my Hitachi 65S700, Dvd w/s-video, VCR w/o s-video, to my JVC reciever with digital and s-video connections? Also, the cable company (Brighthouse Network) has already hooked up the the box to the TV but did not hook up any of the other components. I new to all this or should I hire someone to do it? thanks

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 78
try this site www.ramelectronics.net/assets/images/av-connect/Home-Theater-connection.pdf

Username: Jdsaenz1

Post Number: 7
Jeannie:
Nooooo! Never pay money when you can get it for free! We will help you as much as we can.

First, is the JVC receiver your audio system, or is this your cable/HD receiver?

Anonymous

Jeannie, like Jacob is referring to, there are 2 ways to hookup your equipment. #1 is to use your JVC receiver for surround sound only and #2 is to use it as you audio/video hub. #1 is very simple, your 65S700 has a audio optical out. Connect it to one of the optical in's in your JVC and you can enjoy the surround sound from the JVC when you want it. #2 is by routing everything (DVD, VCR, cable box to the corresponding input jacks to the JVC receiver and then connect the monitor out to your TV. But this way, you have to turn the JVC on everytime you want to watch TV.

Unregistered guest
I have a Mitsubishi HDTV with built in HDTV Tuner.
A also have a DVD that has a swith for interlaced and progressive. But when I watch a widescreen DVD that I rented, it still has a bar on top and bottom of my TV set even if I set the DVD tuner to 16:9 aspect ratio. Is there something wrong that I am doing?

deder135
Unregistered guest
One answer may be the format of the movie. If it is in 1.85:1 you will hardly see any black bars in widescreen mode. However, if it is in 2.35:1 format, then you will see black bars. Widescreen tv's are made in roughly a 1.7777:1. The reason some movie directors still use the 2.35 is that is what they learned on and won't learn new lenses. Hope this helps

Username: Usarmywo1

Enterprise, Alabama USA

Recently bought a Samsung 50" DLP HDTV. I have my HP Media Center laptop with Nvidia Geforce FX Go5600. I can play DVD's with the two connected through S-Video and the quality looks great. However, as I have heard from many other people, my complaint lies in how text is presented on the screen. Very fuzzy, readable, but only with a lot of strain. The specs for the tv say max resolution is 1280x720 however I can't seem to get it push it that high through Windows Display Properties. After plopping down several thousand for this television, I'd like to get it working better, even if it means spending a few more dollars for a converter of some sort. Help?

Anonymous

I have an HDTV ready Hitachi..Dish Network SDTV and a 801 PVR. The picture quality is poor..fuzzy on action shots..sports tickers often have graybar showing thru...apparently not enough signal due to compression to fill the screen.
Im too cheap to pay 1000 bucks for a 921 PVR. Could I buy a hdtv set top box, hook it in serial with my PVR and fix my picture problem? I realize I wont get true HDTV on it, but I just want to fix the poor quality SDTV. Or will it have any effect on the signal compression problem from Dish?
Any thoughts?

Unregistered guest
I've been considering purchasing a Philips 30" HDTV (30PW850H). Consumer Reports rated it the best HDTV tube for the money, giving it top marks in sound and picture quality. It said, however, that it can't display 720P signals, leaving only 1080i. Will this be a problem? I'd like to use this TV for many years (at least 10). Could a change to 1080P hurt as well? I can't believe I can't find answers/discussions on this issue...I've searched the web backwards and forwards. Please help. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Jrest

St. Louis, Missouri USA

Post Number: 15
Daniel,

Just wondering if you have figured out anything better for the poor text display on the DLP screen? You mentioned you used the S-Video. Just curious if you tried using the pc input on the back of the tv? If so, what were the results.

Assuming that you have the HLP-5063w, I would like to have the option of using the tv as a monitor, be it for recreation or web-browsing. I hope you read and respond soon as I'm thinking about by buying the tv, possibly as soon as this weekend.

Bronze Member
Username: Mp906

Post Number: 12
I've been looking at DLP's as well.

Thing is, I watch DVD's 90% of the time. I'll be getting regular Satellite(digital?) but not HD.

So, is the DLP worth it dor DVD's? Or should I just get a regular projection for 1/2 the price?

Anonymous

The main reason to buy a DLP or LCD Rear Projection HDTV is to save space, since they are generally thinner and lighter than regular (CRT) rear projection HDTVs.

A properly calibrated CRT rear projection HDTV will almost always produce a better picture.

KenH, save your money and buy a regular rear projection (CRT) now for half the price.

Unregistered guest
Quite a few of us have battery operated small televisions that we keep in the car or at work in case of a national or local or weather emergencies. NONE of the television manufacters have responded to my inquiries about the future availablity of a small battery operated set to use when the power has gone out or when we are somewhere in some situation where tv news is better than radio new; ie: earthquakes. Any response is welcome. Thank you.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
"NONE of the television manufacters have responded to my inquiries about the future availablity of a small battery operated set to use when the power has gone out or when we are somewhere in some situation where tv news is better than radio new; ie: earthquakes. Any response is welcome. Thank you."

No response because the rest of the planet is familiar with a device knlwn as a UPS. Try radio shack.

xvstayaway
Unregistered guest
xv, obviously you did not understand the question. maybe we should type slower next time. you have yet to offer any intelligent posts. you should let people think you are an idiot than to open your mouth and prove it.

Unregistered guest
Dear Sir or Madman,
I'm a real person; not a tekkie. What is a UPS?
Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 60
"I'm a real person; not a tekkie. What is a UPS?"

It's a battery powered power supply that provides power to a computer in the event of interruptions in the incoming electrical power. Different UPS's will provide power for different lengths of time, but none of them last for very long - possibly 5-10 minutes if you're lucky!

It might protect your TV from being damaged by surge, in case of a momentary event, but that's about it...

Unregistered guest
Thanks for the info; but it still won't help me get a HDTV signal on a pocket portable. This forum is called 'HDTV Myths and Questions Answered'; therefore I thought someone might know if any manufacturer is planning to produce a small easy to carry HDTV similar to the analog sets available now.
Thanks for the info on the UPS.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
"xv, obviously you did not understand the question. maybe we should type slower next time. you have yet to offer any intelligent posts. you should let people think you are an idiot than to open your mouth and prove it."

It appears you are still upset about the Olympics being delayed braodcast in HD. Relax, it is over now, get back to what is important in life.

xvxvxvx

Anonymous

Obviously, there are many (may be many more) people out there who think xvxvxvx has nothing to contribute to the discussion or having a hard time understanding simple questions or topics. I tried to deal with him (I assume) logically but it was useless. Way to go "vxstayaway".

Silver Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 116
henry,
i can answer that, no. there will be no
pocket HDTV. The expense far outweighs possible
rewards. (think about the size of the HD
converter box)

Silver Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 117
getting a RP CRT while cheaper at first does
not mean you wont be paying more cash down the
road. Calibration can cost as much as 700. I
can buy 2 HID lamps for that cost. Also the
crt's can go bad. And calibration doesnt last
forever. Plus if you ever move someone has to move that beast and then most likely it will need to be calibrated. Microdisplays while more expensive have less potential headaches. Why buy something that is being phased out.

Anonymous

I respectfully disagree with Paul's 2 posts.
1. At this time, it is true that the manufacturing cost does not justify the benefits of a pocket size HDTV. Down the road, when HD is the only broadcast standard and is just as common as SD now, I think pocket size HDTV will be in great demand (ball games, etc.) and TV makers will try to capture the maket.
2. RPCRT TV may have their shortcomings (namely weight, bulky and costly replacement bulbs) but it is a proven technology. I bet TV makers will phase out the current crops of plasma, DLP, LCoS, LCD before they will phase out RPCRT. Besides, RPCRT offers the closest to theater experience, best SD picture, no rainbow effect and people don't have headaches watching them.
There are other benefits of RPCRT people tend to overlook. They are heavy (>200lbs) but they are on casters meaning on a flat surface, you can move them with one person. A DLP weights about 100lbs and you still need 2 people to carry it and can't roll it on the floor. RPCRT are in 1 unit, you don't need to buy a separate stand (another $400 or more) and expose all the connecting wires behind the TV. Many of the RPCRT TV have decent speakers inside with good bass level, not like those tinsy ones you find with plasma or lcd.

Silver Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 118
lol

Anonymous

I am glad that you agree!

Silver Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 119
that doesnt mean i agree.

Anonymous

The previous Anonymous had pointed out some common myths about RPCRT Tvs. I have been looking into the actual cost of buying and owning a HDTV and I have come to this semi scientific analysis. I have compared the MSRP for a RPCRT and a DLP (or Lcos) for the same brand and similar size. I use MSRP because the street price varies all over the place and in general, the retailors would offer a bigger discount on RPCRT than DLP. The reason I only pick DLP was based on the fact for screen size above 50", DLP is cheaper comparing to other microdisplays (LCD & Plasma). Here is what I found (based on MSRP as current as this past weekend).

Panasonic PT-53X54 (RPCRT) $1,600
Panasonic PT-50DL54 (DLP) $3,500
----
RCA HD52W56 (RPCRT) $1,780
RCA HDLP50W151 (DLP) $3,900
----
Samsung HCP4752W (RPCRT) $1,700
Samsung HLP4663W (DLP) $3,500
----
Philips 55PP9363 (RPCRT) $1,700
Philips 55PL9524 (Lcos) $4,000

As anyone can see, there is about a $1,900 difference in purchase price. If you add in the difference in discount and the cost of a TV stand, you are talking about over $2,500. More than the cost to buy another RPCRT at the current price or buy you 3 to 4 calibrations.

Would you rather have $2,500 in your pocket than the so called "potential headaches" that Paul Derouin mentioned?

Unregistered guest
Will PS2 or any game console hurt my 58" monitor, that is HDTV ready?

Unregistered guest
Will PS2 or any game console hurt my 58" monitor, that is HDTV ready?

Bronze Member
Username: Jdsaenz1

Post Number: 99
From what I've heard around these parts, any still (fixed) image is not good, especially for DLP, plasma tvs, maybe less so for CRT. I'm still scared to leave the ps2 on for a long time with my CRT; I would rather not risk it. "Pattern Burn" is thine enemy!

Silver Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 148
RP CRT not recommended for video games.

Unregistered guest
if i purchase a hdtv monitor television, will I be able to view programs broadcast in high definition or do I need the hdtv tuner?

micah
Unregistered guest
Hello...
i recently purchased a samsung high-def dlp, and i currently only have a directv reciever with no component outputs or dvi outputs. The quality really sucks using s-video cable. my question is, would the quality look significantly better with a new receiver with component hookups even if the program im watching is NOT broadcast in high def?

Stendall
Unregistered guest
Tracy- yes you will need an hdtv tuner to watch hi def over the air. If you have satellite or cable you use their hi def set top box to receive their hi def programming.

micah- the programming will look better with a new receiver. Component will be a bonus. Standard def will still not be perfect but looks decent on samsung dlp.

Video games may cause burn in on plasma and crt. Should be fine with dlp or lcd as there are no phosphors.

acidrocks7
Unregistered guest
I was wondering if anyone knows of a "demo" DVD that can really show off the capabilities of my HDTV?

Anonymous

current technology with DVD's will not allow you to showoff your HDTV in optimum form. It will always be subpar with true hi def - at least until next yr when HD-DVD discs and players arrive

If you got Comcast cable or equiv- get the hi def box and digital video hi def recorder (which makes pristine level hi def copies on the hard drive) , or DIRECT TV/ DISH/ VOOM satellite - or go to ebay and get a cheap Samsung over the air hi def box - and pick up the PBS Hi Def feed with a cheap UHF antenna

I have never seen ANY dvd disc ever outdo a high quality hi def feed on a true (720p or 1080i) HDTV

I believe the only reason stores often used DVD (only) quality feeds many times on their display digital tvs- is to dump plasma EDTV sets on unsuspecting consumers - using bogus "comparison" tests

That said, GLADIATOR often makes a good demo

Tanglewood
Unregistered guest
I have a HDTV compatible (Toshiba 50H82). My cable company is offering a set top box tuner for HDTV. Do I need another tuner for my TV?

Anonymous

No other tuner needed

Buy component cables for the video connection from cable box to TV, and you should get a great HD picture. For high quality audio, you simply need regular rca type cable from cable box to receiver

If you got Comcast, make sure you get the combination DVR/tuner. This is a high def digital hard drive recorder and has an integrated tuner. Its made by Motorola. Other cable companies might be offering this now. It works great. Ideally get the 2 tuner model -which is no extra cost

Note your TV is listed as DVI upgradeable - so at some point you might want to consider that

alalk3
Unregistered guest
would apreciate some info. Just purchased a Tohiba 34hf84 direct view hd monitor. Breathtaking w/hd cable. My question is about my hdmi input. Will upgrading my dvd deck to one /hdmi make a difference. I've been told that it only works out w/fixed pixel sets. On the other hand, I've been told that dvd w/hdmi will allow tv to upconvert dvd signal to 1080. I'm so confused!

Unregistered guest
"Can I view HDTV content on a regular SDTV?
Yes, but why would you? All HDTV tuners to my knowledge have analog video outputs to connect to regular TVs. Your picture will not be HDTV quality and is limited to display resolution of your TV set. Also black bars may appear above and below the picture, or the picture may appear squeezed."

I apologize if this has already been asked (I searched a bit before asking), but I have Brighthouse cable, and I'm thinking of getting an HDTV plan in preparation for the new "24" season (our analog cable channels, Fox in particular, are very fuzzy/grainy looking, so even though I won't be able to view programming in full HD resolution, the picture will be much clearer...plus, I <3 widescreen, even with letterboxes). I'm wondering if I'll be able to view HD channels, as MyBrighthouse.com says I "must" have an HDTV. Does anyone know off-hand if their HD box has analog outputs? If not, is there some kind of adapter I can buy? My TV has S-video and RCA inputs.

Pettio
Unregistered guest
Will any tv monitor (without built in tuner) bought in USA work in Europe where it will be hooked to a PAL digital box (not necessary HDTV), assuming that the monitor has 110-220 volt power supply?
Tnx a million!!!

Shae
Unregistered guest
Hello,

I am preparing to purchase an HDTV, I would like opinions on which manufacturer makes the best quality hdtvs. I've seen some televisions that have very dark resolution. Please help me, all responses are appreciated!

Thanks much
Shae

Anonymous

I will not mention the bargain basement CRT rear projections, some very good in fact, since you want the "best quality"

FOR TRUE HDTV due to the huge amount of detail in HD broadcasts, you really need a large picture. Plasmas burn-in and are overpriced and pure LCD's too small. DLP's excellent picture but color wheel/headache risk for some. D-ILA evolving and getting better

1. LCD rear projection - rock bottom best practical buy for non-videophiles e.g. Hitachi, Sony, and Panansonic make excellent sets in 50" and 60" range. Price range 2300 to 4000

2. Front Projection - best unit Panasonic PT-AE700U LCD (1280 x 720p) - just released model, breakthrough technology, best lens - extraordarily high impact 90 to 100 inch picture or larger. Price 2200 plus 200 for a 16:9 (HDTV size) 92 inch pro quality screen. Need shelf or solid table

Unregistered guest
Will converters exist for Traditional TV's to HDTV signals?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
There will be digital to analog converter boxes available when all TV transmission switches over to digital in the future. There will not be any way to display a true HD signal in HD on an analog display.

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member
Username: Lobo65

Post Number: 19
Does anyone know why Dish Network's HD TIVO's are so much cheaper than the DirecTV one? I'm holding off on buying a DirecTV one because it is $1,000 right now. Of course it is a receiver and a TIVO. I'm not sure if the Dish Network one is as well.

I love my TIVO so much that I'm holding off on getting HD signals until I can afford the DirecTV HD TIVO.

Username: Ddelao

The HD signal comes through great on my JVC 52in LCD. I have it connected via RGB to the cable box. I have my DVD player (roughly 4 years old) connected to the tv via S-Video. Though the DVD quality is ok, I am not blown away like I was expecting to be. Picture is not as clear as it was on my smaller, non HDTV. Picture seems fuzzy at times while watching a DVD. My questions are, do I need to connect the DVD via RGB if possible, and also, what kind of DVD player should I buy to replace this older model that I have now? I have heard that progressive scan provies a much better picture, but I dont know anything about it. Also, is there any getting around the bars at the top and bottom while watching a DVD? I thought widescreen movies took up the whole screen on a widescreen tv? Thanks for your help

clueless in texas
Unregistered guest
If I purchase an HDTV with a tuner and only have basic cable, can I simply attach an antenna and basic cable and get the broadcast HDTV and the normal cable signal? I don't necessarily want to upgrade to satellite or digital cable but do want to get the Super Bowl etc. in HD. I was thinking this would be a sneaky compromise

Anonymous

Add an antenna (40 dollar Hi Def/UHF type) to an HDTV with an integrated tuner, point it toward the major antenna farm, and generally if you are within 40 miles of a major urban area, you will pick up (Over the Air) Hi Def stations. Make sure you can get Fox, which specifically for the Superbowl switches to true Hi Def broadcast. You can normally get 3 to 5 hi def channels in many areas including the PBS Hi Def feed, which has very high quality signals

Your regular cable then just continues to come in normal into the HDTV, but in analog form

Lots of people will be doing something like this with the newly released (ultra low cost) wide screen Sanyo 30" HDTV with integrated tuner that sells as low as $649.00 at Walmart

HDisgreat
Unregistered guest
I did what anonymous posted and I can't begin to explain the excitement of getting HD!!! and free to boot!!! Thank goodness I get Fox as well. I have read on these postings that Fox automatically sends out 5.1 surround sound so no one has to rely on the engineer on duty to flip the switch. Somehow I get PBS in HD over my comcast cable (I only have basic) which is cool because it is the hardest channel to pull in with an antenna. All the other HD channels come in easy.

Unregistered guest
I have a Poineer PRO-700HD TV, The dealer who sold me the TV, told me that I could add a component to the TV to make it a HDTV.
Instead I had a Dish receiver which transmits the HDTV signals. How can I view the TV Programs in HDTV Mode.

Unregistered guest
Quick question. I recently bought a Sony 30" widescreen HDTV and I signed up for HD service through Charter communications. I am using an HDMI conncection from cable box to the TV (according to the Sony manual should provide the best picture.) but I notice that regular cable looks absolutely awful. I mean awful...grainy...and some channles like NBC display diagonal lines throughout the picture. And HD channels look OK but not spectacular. Nothing like I have seen in past. On HD channels I also notice some freezing and some digital pixelation (for lack of better term). Is there something wrong with my TV or my box? Or is it the cable wiring in the apartment? Not enough signal strength? PLEASE HELP! I want to enjoy my TV the way it is meant to be enjoyed!

clueless in texas
Unregistered guest
Well, I got a tv with a tuner and also have cable. The cable can look kind of grainy because the tv seems to pick up and show the limitations of analog cable signals. HD channels, however, should be spectacular and I mean, spectacular. I messed around with my coaxial cable and found out that it makes a huge difference. My suggestion is have the cable company run a signal strength test, confirm that you are indeed receiving a digital (and not analog) signal and also make sure your coaxial cables are top of the line. Good luck.

Silver Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 159
your cable co. should send out a tech to make
sure everything is hooked up properly. if they
wont send 1 no charge look for another provider.

paul32
Unregistered guest
thanks...I scheduled an appointment. Of course they gave me a choice of times...between 8am and Noon. How nice of them. I wish I could get satellite.

YPbPr
Unregistered guest
Try component cables first. The HDMI is only better in theory. CRT and LCD RPTV actually convert DVI and HDMI to analog anyways. Problems still exist with these so called "all digital" pathways.

FYI
Unregistered guest
Why can't you get satelite? Cable sucks! I've read so many threads about bad standard def I can't believe anybody stays with a cable company after buying an expensive HD big screen. It doesn't make any sense to me.

DVI and HDMI don't have anything to add over a component connection as long as good cables are being used.

Paul32
Unregistered guest
Ok, i will buy some quality component cables....any recommendations? I can't get satellite because there is a balcony above me (i live in an apartment) and the management won't let me put a satellite on the roof. Hopefully I will be moving soon...I can't stand dealing with cable companies.

One other question...do these new TV's like my new sony make a sound when you turn them on or off...?? Thanks for your help.

FYI
Unregistered guest
Paul32,

Balcony's don't matter. My son went to Home Depot and bought a 5 gallon bucket, a small fence post, and one bag of quickset concrete. He was watching Direct TV that night. The satelite is at about 52 degrees in the southern sky. Hopefully, your balcony or patio is south facing. If not, move over to one that is for the duration of your lease.

Any better grade shielded cable set will do. Monster at $30 is over-rated, but is an excellent example of what to look for. The same quality can be had for $20 (GE brand) at Target. Avoid the $10 set.

Some sets do sound off, but there's usually a disable feature in the set up menu.

Unregistered guest
Hi there!
I just bought an entry level RCA 52 inch HDTV Monitor, D52W19. Its great so far. Next will be a bigger ticket item...if the wife approves. In looking at some advertising on the unit it says.....its analog 1080-interlaced mode can be upgraded to the even sharper progressive scan mode for ultimate movie-watching.

What does that mean and what do I need to upgrade?

Thanks, Stan

Anonymous

In regards to BROADCAST TELEVISION. This set should produce an excellent 1080i digital picture via either 1. a OTA settop digital box such as one made by Samsung 2. A cable hi def digital box 3. a satellite hi def box.

With Comcast for example, you can add in a combo hi def tuner/digital video recorder - to playback both premium and local high quality HD sourced movies and shows and sports etc

Next down in quality, a progressive scan DVD player at 480p should also look good, not stunning like true HD, but very good.

Now apparently RCA is claiming special "upscaling" abilities both from dvd and regular anolog sourced material. Part of this derives from the fact that the unit has a DVI imput, however these claims historically with most manufacturers have proven to be 90% hype. Analog sourced material will always look bad, no matter what, and DVD player that "upscale" generally create more problems than they are worth

A regular progressive scan player that coat less than 70 dollars should work fine

The issue is moot anyways, since this RCA s/b able to play in a flawless manner actual true HD dvd's on the upcomimg (HD-DVD) standard coming in Fall of 2005, first to be introduced by Toshiba, with Sony Blue-ray technology following thereafter

RCA's claims are a bit confusing because a 1080i HDTV (mostly CRTs), like a 720p HDTV (usually plasmas, dlp's, LCD's etc) ALREADY are operating at the top of the picture quality scale, with the only special exception being the 1080p sets which currently are relatively rare and exceptionally expensive with very little source material currently

Username: Hunter1875

ANN ARBOR, MICHIGAN USA

I JUST BOUGHT A ZENITH 42" EDTV PLASMA.. OF COURSE DVD'S LOOK SPECTACULAR BUT I HAVE DISH AND IT IS QUITE FUZZY... IF I HAD AN HDTV RECIEVER THROUGH DISH NETWORK.. WOULD THE PICTURE IMPROVE? IF NOT, IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO?

Unregistered guest
in the living room we have rogers satellite.... im just wondering i have a hdtv in my room but if i buy any HDTV receiver will i get the hdtv channles to work on my tv?

thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 61
Brian, that was a very kind and generous post.

Unregistered guest
i have a sanyo 32"hdtv monitor. can i get hi-def with direct tv. without the hi-def receiver?

Anonymous

I have a toshiba 65" widescreen HDTV compatible TV. I have a cable box, hi def....should I see high def tv or do I still need the converter? Nothing looks any different at all....thanks!

tractorman
Unregistered guest
why can i only receive certain channel with my hdtv have a regular receiver and a tripe lnb hooked do i need something else hooked up i can received all my channels with my single lnb hooked up

Username: Limski

Ramsey, Nj Usa

Do I need to buy component/RGB input adaptor for my Sony PFM-42V1? I connect via(HD15 SVGA/3xRCA) STB(scientific atlanta explorer 4200HD) to TV input #1 RGB/YUY, no picture ,but DVI to DVI input#2 is ok but picture is no better than S-video connection. Is there somthing wrong that I am doing?. Thanks in advance for any help.

Unregistered guest
I need help. I just purchased a RCA 52" widescreen (16:9)HDTV monitor model number D52W20 (in case someone might know about this model). I just got DirectTV to try to get a better picture. However the picture is not as clear as I thought it should be. At times the picture sharpness appears slightly fuzzy. I called RCA, and they send a repair tech. The tech said that there was nothing wrong with the TV, I also called the DirectTV tech, which informed me that the signal was find. What can you suggest to clarify the picture. Can a HD receiver solve the problem? or is the television the problem. I would appreciate any help. Am new at this, and am trying to learn as much as possible. My thrill on purchasing the tv is slowly going away, because am disappointed with the picture quality. Thanks in advance for any help.

Username: Kosmokramer

Columbus, OH

I am considering buying an entry level (30") LCD HDTV monitor before I move into a house with 3 other people. They have standard DirecTV there and a standard definition TV.
My first question is, if I upgrade DirecTV to DirecTV HD, will my roommates still be able to get standard DirecTV on the other television?
Secondly, they get the HBO and Showtime packages on standard DirecTV, which both include HBO HD and Showtime HD listed in the program line up on DirecTV's webpage: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/learn/Packages_TotalChoice_HBO.dsp If I only get a digital reciever say off of ebay, will I be able to tune into those HD channels with standard DirecTV service? Sure I'll get the free broadcast HD channels if I get a reciever, but I want to know if I'll get HBO and Showtime also.
I just don't want to put money into this if either my new HDTV won't be able to take advantage of HD programming on standard DirecTV or if the other nice, medium sized (30" standard 4:3), fairly new TV in the house will not be able to get standard formatted TV without black/grey bars on the top and bottom.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Anonymous

What's the difference between 1080i and 1080p HD

Anonymous

What's the difference between 1080i and 1080p HD

Unregistered guest
Isn't it true that the actual resolution of any CRT depends on the mask pitch? For example, a 30inch 16:9 set would be about 15" tall. In order for there to be 1080 lines in 15", the mask pitch would have to be around 0.35mm. Is that typical? Specifically, what is the pitch for a Sony 30" HDTV?

Unregistered guest
I just bought a 55" Mitsubishi HDTV and only have regualar expanded basic cable at the moment. Comcast is coming in two days with the box and such for HDTV and digital cable. My question is why can I only get like 4 channels right now (4, 7, 9, 12, when I plug into the cable line? I tried re-programing the TV, and it showed the TV going thru the other channels but the are so fuzzy, and not even viewable.. Do I have to wait till Comcast comes with the box before I can watch ESPN and such?

Anonymous

I have a new 36" Toshiba HDTV, a 4 year old Sanyo DVD player and just got Dishnet. Now when I put in a DVD it says Region Unknown in the corner and some will play anyway and some will not. What is my problem and how can I fix it? The DVDs all played before the dish.

Wonderin'
Unregistered guest
A silly question, but I'm building a home and would like to get things "right" from the beginning. One of the options I have is to add HDTV wiring in the home for $300. I currently have a 35" Samsung HD-Ready TV that I bought back in 2003. I will more than likely get Direct TV or Dish once I move into the house later this year. Anyway, what does this "wiring" entail and is it a good idea? Other thoughts? Recommendations?

Unregistered guest
I'm a little old lady that doesn't understand this new fangled stuff and could use some help. I have a 42"SonyHD and had it pretty well figured out till I got the cable box- now I can't get closed caption ( I tried using both remotes) and I have a DVD player hooked up and don't know how to use it-- which remote for that? Too confusing for the elderly , I guess. I mastered the PC but this is over my head.HELP, PLEASE

ONEAL
Unregistered guest
I have a question. I just got the new DV-R HD comcast box. Before when I had just the digital box, my picture quality looked awesome. Everyone complimented me on it and asked if it was HD. Now that I have HD, all the regular channels are sort of grainy. There are only about 10 HD channels and none of them are what I like to see(mostly sports). How do I get my regular channels to look better. I've bought some HD cables, but that didn't work that much. Also, the HD channels don't look any better than what my channels looked like when I just had Digital cable. When they first hooked it up, all my channels were small with bars on the sides. They had my change some settings, so now my channels fit the screen, did this effect the picture quality? I have a Sony 42in Grand Wega LCD-rear projection tv. Someone please help me!! I'm thinking about just getting my digital box back........

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 166
poor soul, can you turn your TV off and write down what displays on your screen when you turn it back on? I may be able to help but need to know how they've connected the digital box to your TV. If you have a DVD connected to your TV, odds are you need to switch inputs (using your Sony TV remote~press the TV/Video button to switch between inputs) The best way to find where your DVD player is connected, turn the DVD player on then press the TV/Video button on your Sony remote until you see the DVD picture...then write down the input you found it on so you know where to go next time you want to watch a DVD. Get me the information I requested and we'll try to help you.

Oneal, this is a common problem with the HD DVR's. There are two solutions:
1. Connect a straight cable wire directly to your TV's primary antena (the one that's not the Aux) Watch all of your analog channels directly through your antena (this will require a two-way splitter..one side feeds your DVR, the other your TV ant.)
2.Get rid of the DVR

Most people don't like to have to switch inputs so much, but welcome to HDTV.

Unregistered guest
I just bought an 51 inch HDTV monitor....the salesman told me that i need a receiver to view in High definition. I was just wondering if that is just to view cable tv in high def, or will I still be able to hook up my dvd player with component cables and be able to get 1080i signal

fx
Unregistered guest
If you have an upconverting DVD player you do not need a receiver. However do not become confused, that is not Hi-Def, it is merely upconverted 480i data from a DVD. Your TV will likely do as good a job of upconverting the 480i data as your DVD player.

Just so you understand: You do not own a Hi-Def DVD player!

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
I was wondering - If I buy an HDTV with an integrated HDTV tuner already in it, I don't need an additional HDTV tuner from Dish Network? Can I just subscride to their "HDTV Pak" without having to hook up their HDTV tuner? Or am I going to have to hook up their tuner regardless? (in which case I wouldn't need to go out and buy a TV with an integrated HDTV tuner, right? That would be overkill and a waste of money? Am I looking at that the right way?

Pete Wendt
Unregistered guest
"Can I just subscride to their "HDTV Pak" without having to hook up their HDTV tuner?"
You will still need their HDTV tuner since it's a satellite feed. The integrated HDTV decodes over the air hi def from your local stations. In my case I need both. The satellite is great but I cannot receive my local ABC,CBS,NBC, and Fox since I get the national feed instead. I didn't want to spend the extra on integrated but at CC it was on sale. Hope this helps.

Unregistered guest
I recently bought a Philips 30" TV with an integrated HDTV tuner. I subscribed to Comcast and they are sending a guy over to my place to install a set-top box for the HD channels. I am confused - why do I still need a set top box if the TV already has a HD tuner? I thought it would be a simple matter of hooking up the cable and getting HD channels. Please help! I cannot get an answer to this question anywhere.
Also, it is possible to hook up an antenna to get OTA HD channels AND Comcast cable for HBOHD etc at the same time? Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 160
ADI, an integrated tuner only means you can display signals that are unencrypted or unscrambled. Any of the premium channels such as HBO, INHD1, INHD2, DISC-HD will be encrpyted and you would need a cable card or STB (Set Top Box) to be able to view them.

Without the STB and or cable card the only HD channels you would probably be able to view through Comcast are NBC, CBC, FOX and perhaps ABC and ESPN. These channels only broadcast HD at certain times and on certain programs.

If your display has an ATSC (over the air) tuner then you can connect an antenna and pick up whatever HD channels that are broadcast in your area. What you pick up will depend on your area and the type of antenna you use. Check out antennaweb.org for information related to your specific address and zip code. You will need to change the input on your TV to view the ANT input.

ADI
Unregistered guest
Thanks Kdog044!!

Silver Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 162
Don't mention it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us