My New Sony Grand WEGA 60" Clips The Image.

Username: Sidmoore

Comanche, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 1
Looks as though this new Sony 60" Grand WEGA rear projection t.v. clips about four inches off each end of the broadcast picture. The result is stuff that should be displaying on the edges is cut off. There is also vertical clipping, but, not as extreme. I tried all the viewing modes and none corrects the clipping. Any suggestions?

FWIW, this is my first post. Thank you for welcoming me to the forum.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 902
Sid, I'm assuming that by now you have experimented with the picture aspect ratios on your TV. Your problem sounds like your TV is in one of the zoom modes, either "Zoom" or "Wide Zoom". The aspect ratios are adjusted with the "Wide" button on the remote.

Welcome to the forum!

Comanche, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 3
Thanx, John. As I mentioned in my original post, I have already tried all the viewing modes (aspect ratios) and none cures the clipping. For instance, as just one example, when viewing the HDNWS news channel, their logo (HDN)is displayedin the upper left corner. Well, in my case, the H and D are off screen in all modes. Oddly, regular broadcast channels (on Dish Network) appear to display properly with no edge clipping. BTW, I have tried the 'picture positioning' functions, as well, and find that the picture can only be moved a very slight amount. This can't be normal. I believe there is something wrong with the projection system. What do you think?

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 903
Sid, which channels besides HDNWS do have the same problem with? So you have no problem with the "regular broadcast channels"? What are they, and how are those channels received?

Comanche, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 4
The clipping appears to occur on all HD broadcasts, only. The only way to really tell is with stations that have lots of banners and verbiage around the perimeter of the screen. This stuff gets heavily truncated on all HD broadcasts.

John, I receive the regular broadcasts the same way as the HD material. Simply select a station from the DishNet on-screen programming guide.

I have also looked into my satellite receiver setup and can't find any settings that affect this problem.

One other thing comes to mind. According to the Sony manual, HD signals viewed in the 'Full' mode should be normal. That is a circle is a circle and not an oval. In this mode with my set, heads appear somewhat oval (flattened top-to-bottom) and people look squatty. This should not be according to the manual. Any ideas?

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 905
I wish I had an easy answer Sid, but I don't.
1) Assuming you are using the 3-cable component (or DVI/HDMI) hookup between the satbox and TV, and

2) Assuming it is not a setup issue with the satbox, then

3) The problem must lie with the TV. I think it's time for a service call. It sounds like the set is permanently stuck in some sort of stretch mode.

BTW, I think you're a bit too far from the greater Dallas/Ft. Worth area to check over-the-air HD broadcasts with an ordinary antenna, otherwise I would suggest you run that experiment.

Comanche, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 5
John, I'm using an HDMI cable from the sat box to the t.v. I, too, feel, at this point, that it's a problem with the t.v. being, as you say, stuck in a stretch mode (would answer why circles look oval and peoples' heads are a bit squashed and stuff is heavily truncated at the sides).

Yeah, out here, t.v. by antenna is not possible. If it weren't for DishNet (and DirectTV). Cable is out of the question since we are ten miles outside of Comanche on a ranch.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us