Direct TV DVR to DVD ?????

Username: Jben05

Post Number: 1
I just bought the Sony RDR-GX315. I was hoping to send some of my daughter's movies from DVR to DVD. I am getting a copywrite error message. Is there any way around this? Will I not be able to record shows from HBO, Showtime, etc.? Thanks for any help!

Bronze Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 89
If your provider is setting the 5C copy protection flag properly (which it sounds like it is ) then you will not be able to copy HBO or SHO for sure and others depending on their agreement with your provider. You could have purchased an older model Panny which ignores the 5C flags.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 2
Any opinions on which Panasonic? I got such a deal on the Sony, it wouldn't hurt to get another....Thanks

Bronze Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 90
Either a Panasonic E-80 or E-85, I know for certain they ignore the 5C flags. Others may but of these two I am sure.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 3
How about the DMR-ES20? Will it ignore the 5C flags?

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 101
I don't have one to test so I can't say. There are two E-80's, one E-85 and one E-95 on E-Bay for sale right now though.

xvxvxvx

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2670
You can use a stabilizer to record from HBO and Showtime. Panasonic recorders don't have very good picture quality. Toshiba or Pioneer would be a far better choice than Panasonic.

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 117
David,

I don't think any stabilizer on the market will remove the 5C copy protection flag. Plus I have owned Panasonic, Toshiba, Pioner and Sony DVD recorders. Pannys are by far the best when it comes to flexibility, reliability and overall quality of recording. Not to mention that their TV Guide programming menu actually works, this plus the no 5C copy flag protection makes them a no-brainer for me, YMMV.

xvxvxvx

Gold Member

Post Number: 2679
I've owned Pioneer, JVC, Toshiba, Panasonic, the Panasonic picture quality definitely isn't as good as Toshiba and Pioneer. I don't know what you record from, but for satellite recording, the picture quality of Toshiba is the best and Pioneer is second, Panasonic is a distant third. There are many people posting that stabilizers work fine for recording HBO and Showtime.

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 118
David,

I record from an analog cable input. I can see where the others might work better for you depending on the source quality of the D/A conversion in your chosen Sat receiver. Also I am only talking about standalone DVD recorders with an HDD. Pioneer recently announced that they are leaving the standalone DVD recorder business.

Perhaps I misunderstand the technology used in the stabilizers you reference. The ones I am familiar with just remove macrovision not the 5C copy flag set in the digital domain by the broadcaster.

xvxvxvx

Gold Member

Post Number: 2680
Pioneer denied that claim a day later and said they have no plans to leave DVD recorder production.

http://cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=17260

I don't know what stabilizers people use, I've just seen them say they work. Supposedly the JVC will record 5C programs straight out of the box. Too bad they are problem prone and aren't very true to the input image when recording.

I haven't used an RF input or cable in over 17 years, so I don't really know what's good for that.

Username: Writefarm

Post Number: 2
what would be a good "stabalizer" and how much should I spend on one?

(I have a Sony DVD recorder and use DirecTV)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2681
I don't know what people are using for satellite protection. I'd go to Best Buy or Circuit City or somewhere like that and get one you can return if it doesn't work. Sima is probably the leader in stabilizers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us