Samsung DLP New Problem

Username: Murrayvet

Paradise Valley, AZ USA

Post Number: 1
I'm having a new problem with my Samsung DLP HLN61 TV. While watching sporting events on High Density channels all of a sudden the screen will freeze with a black and white image while audio continues. At this point you cannot turn the TV off with remote or manually, so you must unplug power. After it powers back on, the same thing will happen again and again in just a few minutes. Anyone having this problem or know a fix??

Username: Seth

Santa Cruz, CA USA

Hi Murray

I have been working with these Sammy's since the beginning, but I haven't seen that before. As their calibration author I am usually fine tuning not repairing, but I don't see anything in their service menu's that would help that so most likely somthing is going to have to be replaced. Sorry bud, you are going to have to try their customer service dept.

Username: Murrayvet

Paradise Valley, AZ USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the response, Seth. Problem getting worse, it's happening on all channels (hd & nonHD)now and quite frequently after set has been on awhile. Must be a component that's failing after it has warmed up. Samsung phone service hadn't heard of problem. Getting Ultimate Electronic service people out this week as per Service Contract. Will post resolution when its fixed.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 674
Murray,

It will be the DMD module. It's heating up and flaking out. It probably should be replaced along with the fan that cools it. Check to see how dirty things have become inside. Use the brushy attachment on your vac hose. Cleaning the inside, especially the fans every 6 months is excellent preventive maintenance.

Username: Jjpj

Murray,

I'm having the same problem with my HL-R4667W Samsung DLP. What you were describing was happening infrequently with mine, but now frequency has picked up. Many times, I'll turn the TV on and it will immediately freeze on me, sometimes with no picture at all. I too have someone coming out to look at it.

The service rep I spoke with did mention to leave the TV in its current state, so they can properly diagnose the problem. He also advised not to unplug the TV, as it causes permanent damage to and shortens the life of the bulb.

Any other insight from anyone else on this?

Post Number: 2
PS - I'm usually able to leave the TV unplugged for an hour or so, then when I plug it back in, things are back to normal. Not the case tonight... I can't get it back to normal. Supposed to get a visit from Virginia Electronics (Samsung Authorized service company for my area) tomorrow.

I'll post a follow-up to report what the problem is.

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 3
By the time the service tech arrived, the problem had stopped. Service tech took my word for it and replaced the entire light engine at no charge (under warranty). Tech said it was a DMD Module problem, just as FYI suggested.

TV is back to normal and I am seriously considering purchasing an extended warranty.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us