Samsung HL-S5086W to replace my HL-P5076w

Bronze Member
Username: Kaotik78

Post Number: 13
Hi everyone,
Well I should have done what FYI had suggested originally. Way back when, about 7 months, I got the HLP model and my problems have ranged from moisture in the screen, to the tv not shutting off and having to unplug it from the wall, to strange high pitched frequencies coming from the internal speakers. Having the repair center, Sascoa, come out on several occasions, missing work, etc both myself and my wife have had enough.
I called samsung with my complaint of the entire unit, that the last time Sascoa tried to repair the tv they never showed up or called to confirm the last repair, basically I was stuck with the tv or so I thought.
I faxed in my receipt and information and spoke with a rep today to confirm the receipt of my fax. The rep explained to me that I would be recieving another unit, the same model... When I told her that was not acceptable she informed me that a second party makes the decision. I got the number from her and called them direct. Upon calling, I explained the situation and was told that I could be given an "refurbished" HLR unit with a 90 day warranty or pay an extra fee for the new HLS model. After explaining to the woman that I have paied for a tv, that has been fixed over 4 times and is still not functioning properly, now I will recieve a refurbished tv, or pay an additional fee for the new model??? Not acceptable. After waiting on hold she returned to tell me that samsung would be shipping out the HLS model and I should recieve it in 10-14 days. Fingers crossed, we'll see. I just had to share it with everyone and I hope this is the last of this BS with something as simple as a television...

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 669
Oooooo! Sweeeeet!
Persistance pays off!
Give us a review of that puppy!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Will do, as soon as it arrives!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Argh, why do they do that... I just went to samsung's site and found a 1080p unit in the 50" size model # HL-S5087W Im so tempted to call samsung and pay the difference but then again for what though since I won't pay a grand for blueray and I don't have a high def signal yet..

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 670
What do you mean by, " I don't have a high def signal yet"?

Connecting an old VHF/UHF antenna to your "Air" input will allow your internal ATSC digital tuner to auto-scan and find FREE HD local network channnels. www.antennaweb.org

The 1080P has more pixels and three times the contrast.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
So even if I don't have a 1080P signal to feed it I will benefit? Basically when I get the new unit I will get the antenna, apparently this new model has a atsc digital tuner built in. So I can use the free HD local network. The HD local network only broadcasts in 720? I won't pay out 1000.00 for the new blu ray dvd player yet so I just figured the 1080P would be a total waste. The new unit when it arrives will be used with the atsc antenna and a samsung upconvert dvd player.

I don't know how fishy it would sound if I call samsung back and try to get a "better" model, and I do realize I would have to pay the difference, depending on how much that difference was, if it was under a grand, I would do it, if not, I'll stick with what I have and go from there. I have to stop trying to keep up with those damn Jonses.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 671
Yea...they wanted $700 to upgrade my swap out to the older 1080P and I passed on it. If I'd had the bucks last year I would have done it. I like my R67 just fine, though. No service calls and only the occasional macro-blocking from compressed sources.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
K guys, this sat the new tv will be arriving, pics and review this weekend!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Ok there isn't going to be a review because the new unit has too many issues already out of the box. Mainly when I plugged in my external antenna it locks up the menu and the tv shuts itself off. The light engine still runs, but there is no picture, it won't shut off by the power button, you have to again, manually unplug it from the wall. When you wait and re-plug it in you get a lovely buzzing noise from the light engine and again no picture then it shuts itself off again. Samsung now is very aware of my problems and has been great to help me out, but again, it has to be escalated to the executive customer relations dept for another replacement tv... 7-10 days for a call, then another 2-3 weeks for delivery. Honestly im sick of the entire thing and would rather have my old sony trinitron tv back, at least that was proven to work :-)

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 681
Ohhh no! Unbelievable!!!

I wouldn't put up with that time frame at all.
On Monday, I'd call every few minutes demanding the ECR department until you get them. Demand a drop ship of an "A" stock replacement expedited.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Quick update again on the unit. The OTA tuner finally seemed to start working and the set finally decided to function somewhat normally. My wife and I noticed changing channels by punching in the channel manually there is a significant delay, it's not instant. DVD volume is inconsistant from watching the TV, we have to crank it up to around 40 or so to really hear it good. Our other set we barely reached 30. Also the sound quality of this unit is subpar, lacking bass and sounding very tinny, almost like PC speakers. I did mess with the equalizer but it just has different drivers inside more than likely attributing to the poor sound. My other set had a woofer, mid range and tweeter I believe all polypropelene drivers as well. I've yet to get anywhere with samsung still on this.

Username: Constp

Post Number: 5
shaun, I was curious if Samsung gave you a full warranty with your new TV, or just the balance of warranty from your old one.

Silver Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 326
Too comment on FYI to clear up any misunderstanding that the Samsung 1080p HLS5087W does not have twice the pixels.Actually has fewer pixels with 1080x960.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 684
To comment on drummer03 and clear up any misunderstanding, don't listen to someone that doesn't know what he's talking about.

I didn't say twice the pixels, I said more pixels. And you're incorrect on the pixel count.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/DLPTV/HLS5087WXXAA.asp

Key Specs

Thin Bezel with hidden speaker

Built-in analog/digital tuner

Up to 10,000:1 contrast ratio

1920 x 1080 digital format converter

3:2 pull down

No burn in or uneven screen aging

Slide show viewer

2 HDMI inputs

Game mode

Do your homework, fella!

Silver Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 327
Ok sorry but you said it has more pixels...Even that this TV does not have more pixels.Considering with DLP 1 mirror on the chip is matched to 1 pixel on the screen.The DMD chips(DarkChip 2) that they use in 1080p DLP's is 1080x960.They use wobulation which works like interlace to make it into 1920x1080.The chips wobbles back anf forth 45 degrees.This technology was first used in HP's for a few years and then the Mitsubishi 1080p's from last year. Look at this link http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=861&page_nu mber=3 So i suggest you do homework and take notes.As i just proved it doesnt have more pixels to make 1920x1080 cause its basically simulatiing it in a way. and i am right on the pixel count.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 687
You're preaching to the choir, dude.

Everybody on this forum knows about wobulation.
The fact is that you are counting mirrors. The result of wobulation is actually a higher pixel count, even if it uses a partial duplication process. I'm fully aware of the duplication of pixels that HP invented for their photocopy machines and how it got them into the DLP tv market. It's a technology that I don't agree with, but it works.

By the way, at the 2006 Las Vegas CES one of the Samsung engineers stated that the "S" series will use a true 1080P DMD that Texas Instruments has released for mass production. It was first released to front projection manufacturers. I also read somewhere that the xHD5 chip in this year's new models are supposed to be full 1080 x 1920 DMD devices, however it's hard to find hard information on it's implementation. Samsung and others will phase out the use of wobulation in time to avoid paying royalties to HP.

Here's an article that backs what I say.

http://ultimateavmag.com/news/090905cedia02/

Homework is my middle name!
Hope you took some notes!

Silver Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 328
Samsung this years wont.Your stating more pixels and plain and fact it doesnt.Ill just leaqve it at that..Wobulated DLP's =BUM!

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 689
"Wobulated DLP's =BUM!"

I happen to agree! Others however, are quite satisfied.

"I have no idea if wobulation will continue to be used in DLP displays. But, there is one significant characteristic which is achieved with the current wobulated DLP systems, that I truly like: the diamond-shaped pixels actually overlap very slightly, so there is no black area between pixels. I believe this is the cause for many people calling these displays more "film-like" in their appearance. I know that I am very annoyed by screen-door effects of other displays.

I am still enthralled by my Samsung HL-R6168W, purchased last August, and calibrated in November. And I can attest that all of the pixels are truly there; I also connect the display to my PC over VGA for 1920x1080x60p, and can see every pixel in test patterns. There are massive threads discussing the horrors of wobulation, but it is a positive to my eyes!"

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Ok, Getting BACK to the orignal post... Yes samsung did honor the 1 year warranty on this new set. However I have still yet to hear back from their customer service relations dept regarding my tv tuner issue. Also, I have discovered that the new set does not have a PIP function like my old tv did, which I used quite often. I also noticed the faux aluminum sticker on the front of the tv, is starting to peel off and I keep pushing it back down. Overall im left with a pretty sour taste in my mouth with the whole experience. I have noticed that samsung's new line of dlp tv's do not have a PIP function, except the higher up line of 1080p sets. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress of finally getting a tv out of the box and having it work :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Ok, revisited again... Samsung FINALLY Called me back regarding the issues I have had with the new replacement set. They now offered me a choice of either the hls-5088 for 350.00 or the hls-5087 for free. Well I was told to review both tv's before making a decision, so I have now left 4 messages to the rep for the tv, never getting ahold of them..... so here we go again, but this time they are moving me from a 720p set to a 1080p set. When all I really wanted the set to do was work to begin with and give me PIP. Unfortuantely even though my first tv came with PIP they will not give me a comparable tv with PIP without having to pay the 350 which is a sore spot cause they don't see the principle behind it. Oh well, if they can get me the 1080p set for free and it doesn't crap out on me, and stickers don't fall off, I'll be a very happy camper!!!

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 742
Yup! That sounds good to me too!
I've seen that Sxx87 and it's beeeuuutiful! :-)
You're a lucky dog for all your trouble!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Back again! Well the samsung HL-S5087 finally arrived yesterday. Not to say I was excited anymore, getting a third replacement tv, it's kinda like old hat. Well I was a bit excited when they opened the box and I saw the bezel was all glossy black, kinda a nice touch to my home theater. So far so good, plugged it in, no noises. I have noticed though the screen when viewed at slight off angles you can see waves on the screen and the corners of the screen are dark, like a pincushon effect. I have yet to hook my ota antenna up to it. Resolution is improved vastly, and it is 10x brighter than the last model I had. The faux aluminum trim by the buttons has not peeled up yet and looks to be pressed firmly onto the bezel. The previous model had it hanging off right out of the box. One other side note. The delivery guys, a different company this time, had asked me what was wrong with the old tv, I told them the story, and they both looked at eachother and just shook their heads. They told me this happens all the time and out of all the tv's they go out to replace, be it sony, samsung, toshiba, etc, samsung is the #1 for customer returns, problems, and overall complaints. Go figure, but I doubt I would get better customer service from any other company. Fingers crossed this rig stays together this time :-)

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 799
There's a 130W lamp in that set, which is why it's so bright. You will have to drop the contrast down to 60 or lower. It's an eye-popping pic alright! Off air digitals look absolutely amazing! Guys who paid a grand more for a Sony SXRD have taken them back in exchange for this set. Good luck with it! Let us know what you think.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us