Purple Faces

Username: Incompetence

Post Number: 1
My TV pictures are fine through ariel and through cable. My video pictures are fine but my DVD Player insists on displaying pictures in light purple which should be white. Admittedlly it is el cheapo Alba DVD player and cheapo Beko TV player but it seems to work well in every other way. So any ideas anybody on how to get rid of purple face colour and frustration.

Yes all options have been explored with colour controls etc>>>

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 143
Have you checked to make sure your RGB connections are properly mated to the right inputs? If it truly is el-cheapo DVD player, beleive it or not, you might get a better pic using plain old composite (yellow) vid cables.

Username: Incompetence

Post Number: 2
Michael, I decided on a few more experiments as I dont know what RGB is. Good news is that by connecting old scart lead I have for my video , tv and cable conns (and which I normally use in addition to DVD connector now) to DVD ,picture was fine. When I switched back to stand alone DVD connection cable RGB flashed up on the screen. I went into DVD set up and found S-Video and RGB options and that mine was defaulted on RGB . I switched to S-Video and all literally became clear. So many many thanks for your advice I dont understand the terminology but the RGB clue was enough to inspire me to investigate and fix.

Cheers for now until the next problem

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 147
Glad to hear it, FYI and future problems, RGB (red, green, blue) cables, also known as Component cables are just one more step in the evolution of video info transfer. First there was coax (still in use ofcourse, that carried all the info, in all 3 colours (all colour on your tv is a combo of red green, and blue) and sound, then "composite" which broke it up into one cable for all vid, and 2 cables for stereo audio, then s-video, which broke it all up into seperate wires in one sheath (hence the pins) then component (video only) with one cable for each colour, and ofcourse the digital era (DVI, HDMI).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us