Need help with making chapters with a Pioneer DVR 220

Username: Spartanfan72

Post Number: 1
I'm copying VHS tapes to DVD-R's using a VCR/Stabilizer/Pioneer DVR-220 combination. I've got the 4x Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs. I've done a couple of movies so far and everything works great, but I only get 1 chapter which is the whole movie. It's set to do chapters automatically every 10mins. but it doesn't happen. Can I do chapters with DVD-R's?? Do I have to do it manually?? Any help would be appreciated....

Bronze Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 50
You are confusing titles with chapters.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 2
Well, I guess that could be, but I'm talking about when you want to jump to a certain part in a movie you hit the "DVD Menu" button and it brings up different spots in the movie. After copying a VHS tape to DVD-R, they are working fine (sound, picture, etc), but when you hit the DVD menu there is only one "chapter", "title", whatever. If you wanted to go to the middle of the movie, you'd have to FF to it. Any idea how to set up what I want to do??

Bronze Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 51
Kenny,

I don't own the Pioneer but have read wuite a bit about it. Does it have a high speed dub mode. many DVD recorders automaticall remove markers or add markers depending on both the original mode used to record and the dubbing mode.

I need to know if you have ever successfully gotten the 10 minute markers on a dubbed DVD or not.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 3
I just started doing this, so I'm still kinda learning. I've done about six movies so far and none of them have the markers. I've needed the stabilizer on the newer ones and had to take it out on the older ones w/o copywrite protection, but none have successfully put the markers on a dubbed DVD-R. I've found where it says to put "none", "every 10-minutes", and every "15 minutes"....I have it setup for "every 10 minutes" but it still hasn't put them in.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 54
Sorry, I did not know you were copying commercial DVD's. I tend to avoid those conversations.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 4
Nothing I'm doing is illegal. These aren't ones I rent and copy. I bought about 300 VHS tapes from an auction of a Video store that went out of business. I have DVD players in every room and in my vehicle. I have one VHS player and hardly no VHS tapes. I'm doing this just to convert the VHS tapes I bought to DVD's. These are all for my use only. If you still can't help me, I understand.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 55
Since you seem sincere and unfamiliar with the legal definition of "Fair Use" as it is applicable to recorded video material in particular as establishedd by the Supreme Court decision of 1984 Sony V. Universal Studios I will explain it to you in lay terms and allow your conscious to be your guide.

Basically the above referenced decision absolved Sony of any guilt for creating a device that could record an over the air (OTA) broadcast of television audio and video. The decision also essentially legalized the use of a recording device (in this case a VCR) for the sole purpose of "timeshifting" commercial broadcast programming. It did not make legal the copying of additional copies of movies, news broadcasts, sports or anything else you can possibly imagine in your wildest dreams.

Now "Fair Use" in copyright law is further defined elsewhere in government statutes. What you are doing is certainly illegal and expressly prohibited under these statutes. Period, no gray area at all in your circumstances.

Think of it like this, for instance, you can photocopy a single page of a book for classroom demonstration purposes if you are a teacher without permission. However if you copy an entire chapter, without permission, no matter the purpose of your intent even as an insrtuctional aid in a classroom you have violated the Federal copyright laws. Somewhere in between would be determined by a court of law on a case by case basis. Now apply this to a movie (as it is in the statutes) and it is obvious you are breaking the law. Will you caught? Probably not. If caught will you be punished? Not very likely. Is it still illegal to steal copyrighted works even if you don't get caught or don't know any better? Absolutely!

Now even after this explanation I doubt that you really care very much, if at all. However, I do care enough to not assist you in making your job any easier.

Disclaimer: I am not a Patent Attorney nor am I in any way offering any legal advice upon which you, or anyone else should rely upon. Nor shall my above comments be construed in any manner as solicitation for business. It is posted for casual informational purposes only.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the info.... I look at it this way...
I'm turning 300 VHS tapes (that I paid fair money for)into DVD's simply because I have more DVD players and they will last longer. After I have finished, I would gladly light the whole lot of VHS tapes on fire and destroy them. I'm still left with only one copy of each movie which I paid for. Yes, I will be able to sleep at night if I'm still breaking the law.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 56
Kenny I am not on a crusade about this subject at all. I normally just avoid any discussion such as this and go on about my business and try to help answer questions as I can.

I was pretty sure you could justify the act to yourself. People do this all the time in all aspects of their life.

An employee at work embezzles money because he feels underpaid. A thief steals because he doesn't like to wotk and the insurance company gets stuck with the bill not the individual. Another man committs adultry because his wife doesn't give him enough sex. I could go on and on but these people all sleeep well at night too and have justified their actions to their own satisfaction.

Movies are like a software license. You are purchasing the authority to view the movie on the medium on which it was purchased not to be transferred to another medium free of charge. Some movies are in the public domain but not many. Basically you never own the movie or the software license, you only paid to view or use it as is.

xvxvxvx

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2497
Actually you are allowed to make 1 backup copy for personal use of commercial tapes and DVDs as long as you keep the original. If you sell, give away, or throw away the original, you're supposed to destroy the copy. What you aren't supposed to do is remove CSS encryption from DVDs, which needs to be done to copy them. It doesn't make much sense, but that's the way it reads. Since VHS tapes don't use CSS encryption, you are allowed to make the backup as long as you keep the original tape. Did you look all through the menus to see if there's an on/off for making chapters? What discs are you using and what mode are you recording in? DVD-RW, DVD-R, video mode, VR mode?

Post Number: 6
I'm using DVD-R discs and recording in Video Mode. I've found in the menu where to set chapters at every 10mins, 15mins, or none. I've got it set at 10mins. I haven't messed with it much and the manual is pretty hard to understand. I just thought maybe somebody else had this problem and it was an easy fix.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2501
Are you finalizing the discs? I only used a Pioneer for a short time, but on the Toshiba I use now, before finalizing there are options for title and chapter menus, if it's set to title only, it won't make chapter menus. The recorder may be defective.

Post Number: 7
Maybe it is defective. I just went through the manual a dozen times and I'm doing everything right. Before I record the disk info says it has "0" titles. After I record it says it has "1". Before I finalize, I can name the one and only title, but that's all it has. One title, no chapters, this is starting to get very frustrating. I don't see anywhere I can add titles and I've got it set to auto add chapters every 10 mins. Does anybody have a Pioneer DVR-220 that can tell me if mine is defective?? Or if I'm just a dumb***??

Bronze Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 57
UNCLE!!! I Give!!! Stop The Madness!!

A chapter is an "invisible" marker within each title. It will not show as a separate thumbnail.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 8
Ok...just played a DVD that I had recorded earlier and there are in fact chapters. I see what you mean now Scooby. I can page through the chapters after pushing play. However, when I push the DVD MENU button, it only brings up 1 title with 1 thumbnail pic. Is there anyway to put more titles with more thumbnail pics?? The blank boxes are there. If not, it's not that big of a deal now that I know there are chapters being added. Mainly I want to know if my DVD recorder is defective or not. TIA

Gold Member

Post Number: 2502
It makes 1 title per recording. Each time you stop recording and start again it will make a new title. If you're recording a movie, you'll get 1 title, if you are recording TV series, you'll get a title for each episode.

Post Number: 9
Thank you VERY much...now at least I know my recorder is not defective. Now I can get back to cheating on my wife, stealing from my boss, and I think I'll mug a little old lady today on my lunch. :-)

Bronze Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 58
Kenny,

At least getting caught for those crimes will not be as serious as your copyright ingringement case. :-) I'm glad to see you are changing your evil ways!!

xvxvxvx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us