Help with best t.v. for $2,000 to $3,000

Username: Silvad213

Syracuse, Indiana United States

Post Number: 4
Yes, I am currently looking for a new dlp t.v.
I am interested in opinions and advice. Right now I am currently looking to spend about $2,000 to 3,000 dollars. These are the sets I am currently looking at please help.

Toshiba 62HM15 62" HD2+ DLP

Toshiba 62HMX84 62" Cinema HD-Ready Projection DLP TV

Samsung HL-R6167W 61" DLP TV

Toshiba 62" 62HM94/62HM15 DLP Widescreen 16:9 HDTV High Definition TV w/integrated HD tuner

Username: Ju1cyfru1t

Post Number: 1
Are you married to DLP? The reason I ask is because for the money, the Sony SXRD is argueably the best TV on the market today. What is it about DLP that you want?

The reason that I mention the SXRD is because Brian from Tape Works Texas has the 60" (MSRP $4499) for $3325. It's the best TV for the money.

Brian's contact info is:

Brian Pool
TapeWorks Texas
4930-B Dacoma Street
Houston, TX 77092
1-866-827-3489
tapeworksbrian@sbcglobal.net
http://tapeworkstexas.com/sony_kdsr50xbr1.html
http://tapeworkstexas.com/sony_kdsr60xbr1.html

Hope this helps

JU1CYFRU1T

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 646
It's a good tv if you're spending that much money!
I don't know about it being the best.
It might be!
Get an extended warranty no matter what!!!
These are new inventions. Be insured!

Let me clarify. The SXRD is the best tv on the market in the $2000-$3000 range. You may not find it on a list in this range because most magazines are going to be listing MSRP. You can get one from Brian (listed above) for MUCH LESS than MSRP.

If you doubt the "best tv" claims, do a search on cnet, look for reviews from TPV(the perfect vision) and other high end display magazines. Every single review I've read says that the SXRD is the tv that all others will be compared to in the future. "near perfect color scale", "amazing contrast"... the list goes on.

Again, the only reason I don't have one is because I'm waiting for the 70"

JU1CYFRU1T

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 648
Ooookayy! So...you're a Tapeworks advocate and you can read reviews. Your coming across as a very opinionated sales rep. In reality you're a self proclaimed non-owner of SXRD technology.

Since you can read, pop on over to AVS in rear projection and search "sxrd problem". Listen to what a few owners have to say about the "green blob" and "purple blacks" and "color ghosting". Read about "optical block" issues and Sony's idea of customer service from a few folks. I'm not saying as a whole that the set is flawed. Some folks have a few serious issues, though.

"Best" is a strong statement, which is really more like an opinion and the source should be considered. Before we bow to Cnet and Perfect Vision it would be wise to get more feedback from actual owners. The Sony LCOS engine comes from the same provider to JVC's D-ILA. We have a little light engine history there to consider as well. Time in service is relatively short being just shy of 7 months. While we are thankful for early adopters, a lesson or two can be learned from their experiences. I'd say the Sony SXRD has about as much of a track record on this forum as Jonathan Wooding. I really hope that it has legs, but I'm willing to wait for the hot new retail price to fall off and hear from a number of owners before I place a multi-thousand dollar bet. That's just me, though!

Post Number: 6
FYI:

I'm just curious; how far off MSRP would a TV have to fall before you are willing to buy it? A 36% sales drop is a considerable about to turn your nose up at (from $5000 down to ~$3200 for the 60"). I can get a VCR for $10, but that doesn't mean I'm going to buy one.

Second, the word "best" when used in my first post (and the word unintentionally left out of the second) was "ARGUEABLY". With every new technology, there are going to be flaws. I hate the "chicken littles" of technology.

The reason that I am a "Tapeworks advocate" is because from everything that I've EXPERIENCED, Brian is the real deal. In my search for equipment he is the rarity in online customer service. My questions are answered in a timely manner, and his answers are honest. No one can control Sony's customer service, but if the company you buy the TV from has a good help desk, that doesn't matter. Return your defective TV (that is still under warranty) to the company you bought from, and let them deal with Sony.

And lastly, what is it about anonymity that makes people such A$$HOLES?! You're right FYI, I don't have a track record in these forums, but that makes me an idiot? I am a literate, functioning member of society, who has an opinion. You even end your post with a stated opinion ("that's just me, though!"). I forgot that you were never new to this forum, and since your opinion is the only one that matters I'll just walk away in shame.

Don't be such an A$$HOLE!

Post Number: 7
Oh, and just for your information. The SXRD technology isn't 7 months old. The XBR-1 TVs are 7 months old, but the SXRD has been around since the 4th quarter of 2004 (in the Qualia 004 front projector. http://www4.shopping.com/xPF-Sony_QUALIA_004_SXRD) After this came the Qualia 006 (70" rear projector in 2004 http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/5558). And finally the XBR1 in September of 2005. And this isn't "my opinion" this is FACT!

Please do some research before you try to humiliate people. The SXRD has had a few glitches in a small percentage of sets, but it's by no means new. And with the addition of these other sets in the price comparison, your purchase price for SXRD technology has just fallen from $13,000 down to $3200. That's around 75% off.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 649
I'm not the a$$hole that jumped into Dustin's thread and tried to steer him away from DLP and the four models he researched and listed as his preferences.

You're not really curious or interested in what I think about price breaks from inflated retail prices.

I get it that you like the Sony set and are offended by my comments. I don't really care. You're a non-owner in defense of your research. Do you get that? I do!

I've got nothing against Brian. He's ok with me.
He sells different technologies including DLP.

I didn't say you were an idiot. I made some objective factual statements.

The sxrd/xbr1 model in question is 7 months in retail and much cheaper than Qualia for multiple reasons. LCOS technology is much older than Sony's involvement. LCOS was investigated and dropped by several brands. Do your homework.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion.
I'm certainly entitled to my take on it.

Best regards Jona..uhhh...JU1CYFRU1T

Silver Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 304
Ohh tell em son...

Username: Northern_tier

Post Number: 2
FYI Said: "I didn't say you were an idiot. I made some objective factual statements."

Actually, you were anything but "factual" in your statements.

JVC and Sony use different (LCoS)light engines, while JVC has huge problems with "early bulb burnout." (Often below 600 hours) Sony's are excellent in that department.

The "blob" issue is associated with some previous Sony systems, and not this one.

By the way, if you do some internet research, you'll find that the only real issue people seem to have with the Sony SXRB are the "Jumbo Ears," (To which I would respond: "Stereo seperation anyone?") The speakers certainly don't bother me.

What you were told is the absolute truth: "The Sony SXRB is the best projection available at this time. And certainly much better than DLP's." The top video reviewers all pretty much agree on this point.

I say this, not because I own one, but because I fully intend on owning one very soon. I was originally close to buying a DLP, until I actually saw a 60" Sony-XBR6 . . . WOWWW!!!!

Go see one for yourself.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 650
Ed said:

"JVC and Sony use different (LCoS)light engines"
"while JVC has huge problems with "early bulb burnout." (Often below 600 hours) Sony's are excellent"

Physical applications may differ, but the LCOS technology is licensed from RAF Electronics Corp. founded by Rihard A. Flasck, a MS Physicist who owns the patents.

JVC got a bad run of lamps from Toshiba. The lamp is not the light engine anyway.

I've got nothing against you early adopters with deep pockets. If you want to pay more money and be the first test bed that's fine with me.

The exception I challanged was the term "best", which is an opinion. Only time will tell about Sony's LCOS reliability.

I'll say it again...I hope it's got legs. No need to be defensive about your research. It's funny that non-owners are so defensive. Usually, it's owners who defend their decision to purchase.

Best regards!

Your right btw...the speakers do look ridiculous.
Who cares about sterio seperation?
Anyone who would spend thousands on a big screen and not spend a few hundred for at least 5.1 Dolby to complete the home theater is just plain ignorant.

I've seen xbr1. It's a pretty picture.
I've also dealt with Sony customer service.
It's not a pretty picture.

Post Number: 9
FYI:

"Jumping into Dustin's thread" was not actually that, but simply ASKING A QUESTION... "Are you married to DLP?" Dustin himself says, "I am interested in opinions and advice. Right now I am currently looking to spend about $2,000 to 3,000 dollars." I offered an alternative TV (within his price range) to the ones he researched.

I really am curious about your opinions on price breaks. Name calling aside (no more hole references and such), what would you say is a fair price break? Do you have a percentage of original MSRP, or do you prefer to look at dollar amounts.

The idiot comment was a response to "I'd say the Sony SXRD has about as much of a track record on this forum as Jonathan Wooding" implying that because I have no track record here, that I am totally new to the AV scene.

In regards to the "light engine". Your original rebuttal refers to the SXRD only having 7 months of history ("The Sony LCOS engine comes from the same provider to JVC's D-ILA... Time in service is relatively short being just shy of 7 months...I'd say the Sony SXRD has about as much of a track record on this forum as Jonathan Wooding." The SXRD as a "light engine" has nearly 2 years of history. LCoS is not "new" technology, and that is exactly what I am saying. The SXRD is nearly 2 yrs old (ancient in today's techno-boom.) I am by no means a "die-hard" Sony fan. They simply have an amazing TV that is available at a great price (street price, not MSRP).

You responded to Ed with the comment, "Physical applications may differ, but the LCOS technology is licensed from RAF Electronics Corp. founded by Rihard A. Flasck, a MS Physicist who owns the patents". What?! In today's technology, there are really very few different technologies. The difference in a set is ESTABLISHED by "physical applications" (I'm an electronics technician; this is what I do for a living). Your next statement completely undermines your argument against LCoS ("JVC got a bad run of lamps from Toshiba. The lamp is not the light engine anyway.") If it wasn't the "light engine", than there isn't a fundamental problem with LCoS, or for that matter the "the same provider to JVC's D-ILA." It wasn't the provider of the engine, but Toshiba's lamps.

I was not offended by your comments about the set. If you like DLP, CRT, D-ILA, Plasma... whatever. It was your statement "'Best' is a strong statement, which is really more like an opinion and the source should be considered". Was that a slight on me, or Cnet? It reads to me like you were making light of my "time in the forums."

To close: I don't have a problem with different opinions, but please don't attack mine. And I seriously would like to hear your take on "price breaks". I don't understand how a 36% price drop isn't enough (from original XBR1 release to current available price). Please do explain.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 651
Jon,

I don't have an argument against LCOS.
I took exception to the term "best" as used by a non-owner of the (relatively new) xbr1 version of LCOS.

You're right about the application of the technology making the difference. That's why the xbr1 is not a mini version of the vastly more expensive Qualia.

JVC has optic block failures as well as the lamp issue.

Yes, I brought into question your experience level along with CNet, etc. Why not? We are spoon fed information by those with a dollar stake or private agenda constantly. When considering a new big ticket item it's wise to listen to early adopters with experience before spending thousands. I did not call you an idiot. Those are your words. I implied a degree of naivety, but no initial name calling as you did.

Yes, you jumped into a thread from a guy that stated, "Yes, I am currently looking for a new dlp t.v.", ignoring his research and his model selections. Nowhere does he ask for opinions on other technologies.

My take on price breaks is to wait for second and third generation products to be introduced. This forces the first and second generations to reduce their MSRP and the subsequent discounts. Initial MSRPs include R & D costs along with a gig for those wanting the cutting edge product. Those with money to burn may not care. That's not me! The wait gives time for evaluation of quality along with the advantages of paying less for the same product.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Dustin:

This question has nothing to do with proving a point: what exactly are you looking for? Are you looking for information on only the 4 tvs that you listed, or are you looking for information regarding RPTVs as a whole? It does FYI and I no good to continue to argue about the SXRD if you are indeed only looking for a DLP model.

FYI:

I think it's interesting that you continue to point out that I am a "non-owner" (whick I am), when the reason that I don't own an SXRD is not because I don't have a desire, or funds, but because I am waiting for the second generation of TVs (because I want the 70" TV).

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 652
Jon,

When a "non-owner" calls a product the "best" it raises at least one eyebrow. I don't question your devotion to the product based on the research you did. As I stated previously, I know you like the xbr1 and have decided you want one, but you're trying to persuade someone else that it's the "best" and you have never owned one. I hope you can understand why I think that's inappropriate. Other than that I applaud your research and realize you were just trying to be helpful.

Dustin,

I like the Samsung because it has the more reliable Phillips UHP lamp.
Toshiba lamps are too hit and miss for me.

I'll bow out of this thread now and offer my apologies to anyone I may have offended.

Best regards to all!

Bronze Member
Username: Uhphikap

Post Number: 78
Ok, so here's the deal. Jonathan has a point when he speaks of the SXRD highly. It's the hottest TV on the market right now, and it's selling like crazy. With that said, the question that still remains is: Is it the "Best"? A case could be made for it in that role, for sure, but everyone is going to see different TVs differently. I can't stand DLPs, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them...that's just my opinion. I still offer them for sale becuase some people like them. As I've mentioned before, if I were in the market for a TV right now, I'd be buying an SXRD at this exact moment. However, it may not be the "best" TV for everyone out there, since everyone's eyes work differently.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Brian Pool
TapeWorks Texas
1-866-827-3489

Username: Northern_tier

Post Number: 3
I would like to clarify that I don't consider myself an expert on this particular subject, which is exactly what originally landed me on this forum. I don't own at rear projections, however, I am looking to purchase one for our Church.

I have been educating myself and up until I started reading about LCoS based units, I was a strong advocate of DLP.

What is best? Well, I had concluded that the Sony SXBR was the best - at this particular time - at an increasingly affordable price. However, I am not that confident in myself, so I checked out the same resource I have used for two decades: "CONSUMER REPORTS." Are you interested in their ratings? Here's the link:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/tvs/rearprojection-tvs/ reports/ratings/latest-ratings.htm

I hope you find it informative, especially were the top 3 units are concerned.

Bronze Member
Username: Uhphikap

Post Number: 79
Great information! Thanks Ed! I hadn't seen that yet.

Thanks,
Brian Pool
TapeWorks Texas
1-866-827-3489

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
We still haven't heard back from Dustin.

FYI:
Let me first appologize for my attitude. I have been under a lot of stress lately. I am under a huge deadline at work, and on top of that my wife is 7 months pregnant. I understand that you were making an objective opinion, and I took it wrong.

Dustin:
Are you still looking for a tv, or have you made a decision? I'd be interested to know what you think. Again... sorry for hijacking your thread.

JU1CYFRU1T

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 654
Hey...congratulations, Jon!!!
Wishing you and your family the best!

Username: Chris0311

Denver, Colorado

Heres your answer.
1. Go to BestBuy and look at the sets you are considering.
2. See which one has the best features/pic quality/price you are looking for.
3. Buy TV with WARRANTY.

I dont care what kind of tv you buy, you will use it, especially if its a DLP. A typical lamp replacement for a DLP is going to run somewhere between $190-$300 and thats generally for around 2000 hours of use. NEW (warranty co for BestBuy)is paying for one lamp for each customer when it goes out and that almost pays for itself right there. Hope this helps.

Silver Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 308
Right on about the warranty.Also i wouldnt base your total decision on store PQ.Also Consumer Reports is bum.I can figure alot of there ratings.Especially say the JVC is number one.The PQ is better on the Sony.Set has the highest contrast on the market.Less price.The biggest thing is i definetly dont agree with iis them saying user friendly is JVC.When the JVC has been in quit a few articles stating how clunky the menus are and inputs are not fully independent.

Bronze Member
Username: Kabasa

Post Number: 12
i have a hitachi 50v500a for over a year probably 5000 hrs on lamp annd still looking amazing go with hitachi lcd they are the best,on this board they are the only tv with hardly any problems ,do your research
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us