DVI vs HDMI

Username: Bigbri

Post Number: 2
Whats the theory behind HDMI? Why would we want to combine the audio and video signals? My ealry model DLP has DVI and I assume the digitial to digital transfer is the same, but why add the audio? Maybe I'm mising something. Anyone with a $2k TV or more surely has surround. So whats the plan? HDMI to TV and optical/Digital Coax to reciever? Furthermore why even put speakers on these big sets? Have you seen the 60" Sony Wega WXRD? The vertical speakers add 15" to overall width. Seems like a all they do is add weight, size, and cost. Your opinions please.

Silver Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 299
The theory of HDMI is take make it a little easier to hook up.Also when running wires or bundling them together.Like your stating also you can hook most setups together in 4 wires.2 HDMI cables to TV for video and audio feed.Then 2 digital audio cables to the reciever and woot your done.You would be suprised how many people have a 2k TV and dont have surround sound.To add to that not all the time can you use a sound system depending on situaion of other people that live with your or like a apartment where people live close.Also not all TV's have the speakers on the side even in the big sets.Sony has dont speakers on the side of a few sets 55 and up this year they included the 50.Also its a Sony Grand Wega "SXRD".

Username: Ju1cyfru1t

Post Number: 2
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/specsformats/HDMIinterfaceguide.php is a great article about HDMI. Basically the advantages are a single cable from the receiver to the display, larger bandwith( 4Gbps!!), and HDCP compliant. Check out the article, it's good (for understanding HDMI)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us