Replacement bulbs and warranties

Username: Tallyho

Post Number: 1
I own a Toshiba DLP 46HM94 which I have had for a year now, I am starting to get worried about the bulb going one of these days. I have a 5 year warranty which includes bulb replacement. My question is since I have heard horror stories about people waiting anywhere from 1 week to 6 weeks for new bulb (thru warranty) If I buy myself a replacement bulb to have when I need can I simply hand off the old bulb to whoever comes to my house with the new bulb? Or am I voiding any bulb replacement by having a fully operational TV when the repairman arrives?
I figure if I only buy 1 bulb I will always have a replacement at the ready because I store away the warranty bulb. Does anyone know how these warranty services work?
I figure the repairman is happy because he has no work just exchanges bulbs and leaves but I dont want him to deny me my new bulb and accuse me of just using my warranty to get a new bulb for someone else.
i realize I could just swap back old bulb before repairman arrives but I am nervous about damaging a good bulb if I remove it and reinstall it (as well as having to remove/reinstall 2nd bulb after repairman puts it in.
thoughts?
Opinions?
Suggestions?
much appreciated.

Username: Turbo15479

Post Number: 9
Install the new bulb and switch it out the day before the repairman arrives.

Username: Tallyho

Post Number: 2
But if I switch out the bulb I am storing away a used bulb instead of an unopened one. Am I shortening the life of a bulb or damaging it by having it in the TV for a week or so and then removing it for however long it may be until I need new bulb??

Bronze Member
Username: Turbo15479

Post Number: 12
I di appliance repair but I have a friend that is a tv repair person. I asked him and he said as long as you do not get any fingerprints or anything else on the bulb it would be as good as new. He also told me you will get longer bulb life if after you watch your tv you do not turn it back on until the bulb totally cools down. Thsi is not when the timer will allow you to turn it back on but at least 6 hours later. This is the reason I bought a rear projectiion crt. I do not want to be a slave to the companies buying bulbs. It has to tell you something when the exstended warranty will cover only one bulb or none. If these bulbs were supposed to last so long they would not worry. All the tv's including the new Sony havew a bulb. the Magnavox Walmart is selling has an 893.00 price tag on its bulb.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us