HDTV card

Username: Hdblues

Miami, FL USA

Post Number: 1
I have a Phillips plasma HDTV that came with a slot where you can install a digital card.
My cable provider is Comcast and you can lease this card from them by paying a monthly fee, I think.
Right now as per the service I pay I can get 77 analogic channels plus 2 or 3 that broadcast in HD like Discovery High Def. I can see this channel in HD very well. My question is: What do I get in return if I get this digital card from them?. Do I get more HD channels? or it is just that I will get a better audio (digital) or what?.
What is the purpose of this card?. I don't need a box because my TV comes with a tuner.
Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 731
Ignacio~ "What do I get in return if I get this digital card from them?"
You would get channels that are encrypted, depending on your service needs (channels like HBO, ESPN HD etc.)

"or it is just that I will get a better audio (digital) or what?"
It will not improve the quality of picture or audio over what you are already seeing without the card installed.

"What is the purpose of this card?"
The purpose of the card is to ensure the integrity of the cable systems services. Channels that are encrypted need to be decrypted in order to be viewed, the card does this once it is paired with your TV and the proper service codes are applied to your account, so the card can authorize you to view channels that you currently don't have access to. Another feature of the card is to define a channel map, so your channels match the channel lineup you would see on a regular STB.
Does that answer your questions?

Username: Hdblues

Miami, FL USA

Post Number: 2
Mr Cableguy thank you very much for answering my question. Now I'd like to improve on my knowledge about how channels are transmited over the cable and may be you can illuminate about this.
I think that TV channels are transmited over the cable using frequency multiplexing. My question is: are analogic channels as well as digital channels transmited over the same cable, at the same time? I mean the same cable that goes into my apartment?.I know there is some kind of filtering that according to the setting allows you to see such and such channel but when video signals gets to this filter how the digital channels can go through it and reach a TV. Does this cablecard plays a role in this?. If I get this CC installed by my company cable do they have to run additional lines?. How is this accomplished?.
Once again thank you very much for sharing your knowledge with us.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us