Advice needed on cables

Username: Mieskie

Post Number: 4
I am wondering if I should upgrade my component video cables. I recently upgraded my S-Video cable on one system I have, and the change in picture was dramatic. I switched from some junky S-Video cable to a Monster-2 cable and could not believe the change was so significant. I had always thought high end cables were a bit of hype, but now I am thinking that I should look into upgrading my other cables.

What I have now are these component cables I got from Time Warner when I started using their HD cable box. They appear to be gold connectors, but otherwise I have no information on their quality. My picture is good, but now I am wondering if it could be much better. Do those high end component cables really make a difference? If so, which ones should I be looking at getting?

Bronze Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 33
any cable can go bad over time, just from flexing to make the 90 degree bend off the back of a device. There are many, many good cables out there for far less than Monster Cable, one of the most over hyped and over priced labels in the business. A "component" cable is 75 ohm coax with RCA connectors. For a run of 6 feet to 15 feet you will see absolutely NO difference between decent well made cables and Monster. You will save about half the cost of Monster.

I have had very good luck with www.mcminone.com as a supplier of cables and components. Their "Stellar Labs" brand are very good for the money and they often have "AR" brand cables on sale. There are hundreds of other suppliers on the web with decent products as well. Don't fall into the trap of running down to your local A/V store and allowing them to make huge profits off Monster products, unless you just have cash to burn.

Username: Mieskie

Post Number: 6
Thanks for the advice. I am aware that Monster's are more price than performance, but believe it or not, I purchased that Monster 2 S-Video cable because I was able to get a deal on it at Sears that made it cheaper than any other high end video cable I could find. I also was curious to buy at least one Monster and see for myself, and I ended up happy I did because the upgrade in my video from the cable was really dramatic. Maybe any decent S-Video would have given me the same results, but it was worth trying. But I wasn't going to buy Monster Component cables (or any others) until I got more info from people like you. Thanks for helping me out. I appreciate it. I'll check out mcminone.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 843
I have so far had very good luck with MonoPrice. Very good quality and incredible prices.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/department.asp?c_id=102&CartID=&style=
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us