Can I connect RGB Scart of Component to VGA?

Username: Mangotango99

Post Number: 1
I am new to this forum and to video in general

I have a dvd player that can output in either Component Video or RGB scart

My Plasma display has a vga input only

Can I connect the dvd player to the display - is it a matter of getting the correct cable?

If yes, then for best quality should I use rgb scart to vga or component to vga

Thank you!

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 826
james, welcome to the forum.
Since you have not provided a brand/model number, it is very difficult to believe your only input is vga on your plasma display.

Post Number: 2
Hello John ansd thanks for teplying I wondered if anyone would!

I have a Phillips ftr 9965/12 and it only has vga input (well 2 vga sockets actually vga1 and vga2)

It comes with an external box to which you can connect scart etc and a vga lead from that box goes to the display

However that box has failed and rather than get it repaired i wondered if I could buy a lead to connect the dvd direct to the display bypassing the box.
Where could I get such a lead if it is possible

thank you

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 828
james, the 9965 model number is actually the model of the external box (e-box) and not the plasma model. My first question would be what happened to the e-box? Since it is a scaler/converter of electronic circuits with no moving parts, it seem unlikely to fail that easily. I read somewhere that one owner of the 9965 had to turn it on for at least 5 seconds before turning on the plasma or any other piece of gear, otherwise it would not function properly.

In any case, my understanding is that any display with only VGA inputs is primarily meant to be used as a computer monitor, and some conversion/scaling is necessary if the display will work for ordinary TV use. That is no doubt why you were using the Philips e-box in the first place.

Component to VGA cables exist, but I do not think it will work for you. The only exception might be is if your plasma has the ability to switch its VGA input to "component" via its internal menu system. You can check this, but I'm betting your plasma doesn't have that capability.

Finally, you should read this:

http://www.hificables.co.uk/article/mcs/art/29

Post Number: 3
Thank you John you have been most helpful, thanks for taking the time to reply and help

James
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us