How to change channel with picture in picture

Username: Richierichdolla

Post Number: 10
Hi I have a Flat Panel LCD HDTV with a scientific alanta HD box. I can get the picture and picture to show up put I cant change the channel. I am using a Dvi connection for main picture and regular video (yellow,red,white) for the picture and picture. The picture in picture box will only show what I have on the main tv display.

Silver Member
Username: Ncavman

N.C.

Post Number: 113
You are sending the TV two signals with the same channel. The yellow composite vid cable is just sending a low res version of the same thing your DVI cable is sending. You can't send 'channels' (cable TV info) through composite. That method will always show you the same thing in each PIP window.

a) Do you have a tuner in the TV? If so, you need to run a cableTV signal into the coax input on the TV (1. cable box to TV on the DVI input, 2. regular cable coax to the tuner in the TV). Then use the PIP function on your TV. The TV remote will change one of the channels and the SA box remote will change the other (dvi HD) channel.

b) Optionally, if you don't have a tuner in your TV, use the PIP function on your SA HD cable box instead of the PIP on your TV. This requires nothing other than the one DVI cable you already have hooked up. Use the buttons at the bottom of your SA remote for PIP channel changing if you have the upgraded remote. This assumes you have a SA HD box with two tuners.

Good luck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I did the first option since my box doesnt have two tuners. They tryed to charge me just for that. They said that the box with two tuners records tv.So even if I dont want to record tv i have to pay anyway, sucks. Can I buy a box from the store that will allow me to get my cable channels for my pip.
Thanks

Silver Member

N.C.

Post Number: 115
If your LCD tv has a tuner (it SHOULD if it is a "TV"!) then all you need to do is split the cable coax before the cable box, and send one coax to the TV. Then use the PIP function on your TV to display the cable box DVI signal and the incoming coax signal.

If you don't have PIP on your TV, just get the SA 8300 HD DVR which has two tuners and can do PIP by itself with no additional cables. Should be around $6 a month for the upgraded box.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I can get regular tv using the coax that I split. I cant get cable channels tho. It shows them but they have like a reversed color look, like they are blocked. I get cable on my DVI connection. What am I doing wrong

Silver Member

N.C.

Post Number: 116
Make sure your TV input (the one with the coax) is set to "CABLE" or "CATV" and not "Antenna". It must be set to 'cable' to see cable channels. You still will not be able to get the higher number digital cable channels, MOD's, etc., without a cable box or cable card.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Ok. Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us