Planning to Purchace in July

Username: Mstanford01

Post Number: 1
I would like to buy an HDTV around July. I am starting to look. I know I want one that is at least 55 inches, 1080p. I have no problem with ordering it online. Does anyone have any insight into price drops this summer and what is the best set I could get for around or less than 3,000. THANKS,

Matthew

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 885
Narrow it down - at that size you have 4 options, once you pick the TV type it will be easier to make a specific brand recommendation.

1) Plasma - at this size it makes the least sacrifices overall but will cost you $5000+ for a 55". Another caveat is that once it burns out after 10 or so years there is no way to repair the unit.

2) LCOS (Liquid crystal on silicone) - Sony and JVC have released these TVs, I think they make the least sacrifices next to plasma, while the black levels are not as good as DLP, the picture looks more natural and less digital.

3) DLP - Overall the brightest colors and most detail, IMO they suffer from edge shimmer and "the rainbow effect" where edges jump out the screen with a rainbow effect. These TVs jump out at you in the store, but are also the most fatigueing to watch.

4) LCD - Very smooth, nice color. Drawbacks IMO are the worst black levels, and refresh rates. The refresh rates are important during fast motion such as action movies. I would not recommend an LCD for video games. The best LCDs have a refresh rate of 8ms, and are commonly 12-16ms, the new line of JVC LCOS have a refresh rate of 2.5ms

Post Number: 2
I have been leaning towards DLP because the price of plasma is too high. Also size is not an issue I have room if the TV is large so that won't bother me (doesn't have to hang on the wall). I would however like to be able to play video games without risk of burn-in effects. I don't know much about LCOS, so thanks for the info. Does anyone know of any expected price drops on the DLP tv's this summer?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 886
With videogames there are two important statistics to look at on the TV.

1) Refresh rate - a slow 8ms + refresh rate makes motion blurry and in the worst cases causes ghosting, which refers to a trail behind fast moving objects. First person shooters suffer the most from this as the whole screen moves.

2) Processing speed - This refers to how long an input image takes to be scaled to the TVs native resolution and displayed on the screen. While a slight delay may not be noticable in on-line gaming, the bigger issue is not having the sound in sync with the video. A receiver with A/V sync delay adjustment can correct this, as well certain viewers are more annoyed by it than others.

Good thread to read -

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/199113.html

Silver Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 182
Prices will likely be higher in July than they are right now as all new models are starting to hit retailers and will be at MSRP for a while. All of the 2005 models are being marked down dramatically to clear them out and there are some astounding deals to be found on demo units at most of the major retailers right now if you are willing to take a chance on one. An extended warranty is always a good idea but especially so on units that have been on demo for nearly a year.

All new tvs this year should have ATSC tuners and more are coming with 2 or more HDMI inputs.

We just got bombarded with new LCDs and Plasmas at Best Buy today! Very exciting to see all the new models and look at some of the improvements. Can't wait for them to reset the Projection TVs!!! This year's DLPs and LCOS sets should be amazing!

Username: Turbo15479

Post Number: 5
I would buy a rear projection crt.I bought a Samsung and had it one day and had two hours use on it and all it would do is blink. I took it back, store out of stock tried a Toshiba, worked two days, broke. Bought a Mitsubishi rear projection crt, excellent. i don't see all the drawbacks people on here claim the crt's have. If I had two televisions side by side, maybe but in my home the picture is excellent. And, no bulb.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the info Kano. I will read up on the issues. Smurf I am not going to buy in the stores because they are overpriced (compared to online) and they are always behind on the technology. I know with what I am looking to spend I most likely won't get the latest and greatest, but if I could get the newest model that would be fanstatic.

What Model Samsung did you have problems with Bob? Was it the newest one with the 6th generation DLP chips or was it the older 720P variety?

Thanks everyone for your responses! You guys are great!

Post Number: 6
Both of the televisions were 720 p variety but I believe you will have bulb issues with a 1080p also. The best bet looks like the Samsung that is supposed to use an led based lamp. My brother bought the RCA at Walmart(crt rear projection) and while it is only a week old it has a great picture. Plus, Walmart does not reach into your pocket as much as Circuit City, Best Buy, and Sears for an EW. It was 125.00 for a three year warranty.I just could not see the sense in spending a large amount on a television that would need a constant supply of bulbs. I did see on another thread that the Sony A 10 is supposedly the best for lamp life. That is an lcd vased screen.

Bronze Member
Username: Jumpback

Post Number: 64
Voice of experience here. If the choice is between the Bird Flu or RCA...Go with the Bird.

Username: Jetwrench

Post Number: 3
I'll second the bird flu over an rca

Post Number: 7
I was not telling the guy to buy an RCA, I was just telling hime what my brother bought. But that said even though RCA seems to have more problems than the othr brands all the televisions that use a lamp are having problems. The sales person will tell you "When you change the bulb, you have a new tv" buth there is a lot more than a bulb in the tv. Walmart does sell the lcd based Sony and Panasonic rear projection. The stand is included in the price plus you do not get hosed on the EW.By the way at my local Walmart they have a Sony lcd rear projection, Panasonic rear projection, Magnavox crt rear projection, RCA rear projection, and a RCA dlp on display. The RCA dlp quit working, the Sony and Panasonic have a dim picture, and the RCA and Magnavox are going strong. These tvs are on 24/7.

Username: Jetwrench

Post Number: 4
Neither was I,I own one and would not even buy a rca clock-radio now,the quality is in the toilet.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us