Movies look better on Cable?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 878
I have a Denon DVD2910 and a JVC HDILA 52"

Movies on Movie Central in high def are better overall PQ than when playing back on my DVD player. I can upconvert the movies to 720p/1080i, but the channel still looks better.

What are they using to play back these movies??

Username: Formerly_fx

Post Number: 6
High Definition is just that, HD. All DVD's are recorded in 480i so even though your DVD player scales them up to a higher resolution there is no additional data like in a true HD signal.

I will restate for clarity, no upconverting DVD player will create high definition programming. HD will always be better.

Keep in mind new true HD players will be on the market within a month but you will still need to use a new HD disc to get true HD from them as well even though they will play regular DVD's.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 879
My question was where does the HD come from when playing movies like Kill Bill? Do they use the original film, the film for the theatre, or do they use professional scalers?

Username: Formerly_fx

Post Number: 9
It depends on the original source. An HD transfer can be created from any source with enough resolution to be converted to HD. 35mm film, BetaMax tapes of old TV sitcoms, HD tapes. You name it it can be converted to an HD transfer. Eventually it will come to be on a HDD at the networks, but not yet.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 821

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=316819#POST316819
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us