New Television

cinnamon
Unregistered guest
I need advice. I am ready to purchase a new big-screen television. I was convinced of a DLP but after reading about all the problems people are having with all brands I now am mot sure what to go with. Anyway Walmart has the RCA HD52W59 crt based or the RCA HD50LPW62 DLP both at a good price. Does anyone own the crt bsed tv? how is the picture with regular programming? How is the tv in the daytime, can it be viewed without a problem? Just out of curiosity I called RCA and asked to buy a bulb for the DLP set. It is backordered with no idea when it will be in stock. How can these companies make and sell a product and not have bulbs available? Why is there a shortage, anyone know? I know crt based big screens are at the end of their run and parts for them will be hard to find. Is there a better brand in either technology that I should look at? Thanks

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 788
As long as you can live with the disadvantages of a CRT-RP, then I wouldn't worry about parts availability for the next few years. That said, corporate mentality and the profit motive dictates that new products be rushed to market before parts availability is considered.

We live in a transition period in television display technology. No one system is perfect, which is why there's more then one type. And there's more to come.

http://www.bizrate.com/marketplace/buying_guides/basics__cat_id--11520000.html

Silver Member
Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 186
the shortage is caused by premature bulb expiration.
get a 1080p, i wish i had waited for that.

Username: Oddsockjr

Post Number: 3
I'd avoid the RCA...At my store, we had so many returns because of convergence problems, that we stopped carrying the line altogether. With the way Prices are dropping, to save money, go with a Mitsubishi WS-55517 - I've seen it brand new for as low as $1399. It's the best price:picture ratio I've seen. 1080p really only makes a difference in very large screens. So unless you're going for a 60" or larger, you probably won't ever be able to tell the difference (unless you're sitting 2 feet from the screen).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us