New Surewest HD service with fiber optic signal.

Username: Newtohd

Sacramento, CA USA

Post Number: 1
I'm trying to connect a dvd recorder to this new Amino HDTV cable box wich receives its signal from fiber optic cables. I can't split the signal. I can't get a direct answer from cable provider on if I can record television show some other way. I purchased a Sony DVD recorder thinking I could connect from the out component of the cable box, to the input component of DVD recorder, and connect another component cable from the DVD to the Component input on my HDTV.
Looking at the manual for DVD rec online at Sony it tells me not to connect HDTV Tuner to the the component input on the DVD rec. This is new technology for Surewest and they don't seem to know if it can be done. I need help because I need to be able to record regular tv shows without losing my HDTV signal. If anyone can help I would be really grateful. Thanks

fx
Unregistered guest
How can you not be able to install a splitter? There isn't a fiber optic cable running from the wall to your cable box. If all the signals are digital you must use an analog output from your cable box (such as S-Video or the yellow RCA plug output). DVD recorders (yes none of them) can record a digital input, it must be analog.

xvxvxvx

Sacramento, CA USA

Post Number: 2
Actually yes there is a cable from the wall and it is new fiber optic cable, not usual coaxial. I figured out that it can't be done until new technology is developed for component input on DVD recorder. It won't allow me to watch anything in HD, in fact the instructions say to not even attempt to connect HD tuner to DVD rec. component input. You are right I can't record HD or analog as long as my HD source only has component output. New technology is needed for my problem, unless I decide to switch to Dish Network or DirectTV, because they sure don't have this problem. Surewest ran this new cable throughout my whole house, its digital cable over ethernet connection or something. Thank for answers.

Silver Member
Username: Tonytiger

PA US

Post Number: 122
I tried to check their website for FAQs but couldn't access the support center. Do you know a zip code that has implemented the service?

I would guess they use a "FIOS splitter" compatible to their gear. What do they do if you want to hook up 2 TV's, run two source wires from the pole? They have to split it somewhere.
Bigger question is how is the signal delivered to their cable box. If it is pure digital you have a problem.
See the FIOS forum at Broadband Reports (formerly DSL Reports) ;) That site is very useful for all things broadband (including the offshoots like digital TV).

Sacramento, CA USA

Post Number: 3
The zip code is 95833, its South Natomas area. I understand your right about splitting the signal, but I have no idea where or how to do it. The information I received from Surewest so far is that this new AMINO HD box they are using can't send a standard TV signal out the RF, and send the 1080i signal to my TV at the same time.

I have been talking with one of their video tech's through email, and I'm hoping their is a solution other than doing my recording on a different TV in the house. Thanks for your info, if I get anywhere with Surewest I'll post it here.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us