Help with "pixelly" picture

Username: Postie60

Post Number: 5
I have a Toshiba 52HM85 and love it. Problem is, that I hooked up a FTA digital sat system to it, but the picture seems almost "pixelly". The sat is digital and I thought it would improve the picture from regular cable. I have used dthe RCA cables to connect. I tried the S-video cables but the picture was even worse. The picture seems almost "stretched". Anyone help me?

Anonymous

Having a digital sat system isn't going to improve things much unless it is also high definition. I am assuming that it is not. So, you will have some digitization. Also, you say you're hooking it up via RCA cables. Is that correct? HD TVs need to get more signal than that. So, you would be looking for something to supply the TV with component video or DVI or HDMI not RCA.

An HD TV is only as good as the signal it is receiving. I don't know what the native resolution of your TV is but let's say it is 720p. If you are using a standard digital sat system, you are only receiving 240 lines (480i) of resolution. That is 1/3 of the optimal signal for a 720p TV. It is the lack of signal that is causing your issue.

Bronze Member
Username: Postie60

Post Number: 11
These are the specs for the television. Should the S-Video cable make the picture better? I am very confused over this whole issue. Does it have anything to do with setting the pic size to 4:3 or 16:9?

HD TheatreWide modes (480i,480p/1080i).
Aspect ratio: 16:9
Filter: 3d y/c
Horizontal lines of resolution: 1280
PIP: yes
Program guide: no
Progressive scan: yes
Screen size (inches): 52
Screen type: DLP rear projection

Silver Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 180
Re-read the post by Anonymous. Their post is spot on. It's not the TV, it's the source. Your set has to display SOMETHING on all thse lines of resolution and if it does not have picture information it fills it in with artifacts, fuzz and pixelization. Upgrade your satellite service and get an HD box. Connect it with component cables (red blue green) or HDMI or DVI. S Video is not your answer, you have to go to higher level connection and source.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us